Official Review: Just The Beginning by Maria Goode

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Official Review: Just The Beginning by Maria Goode

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Just The Beginning" by Maria Goode.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Just the Beginning by Maria Goode takes readers on a journey of personal growth, love, tragedy, and perseverance. Lizzie Bryan, a young student teacher, encounters Rahul Chaudhary, a dentist visiting schools to share the importance of dental hygiene. Rahul immediately senses a strong attraction for the blonde and vivacious teacher. Sharing the day and lunch together, the two hit it off but go their separate ways. Rahul cannot shake the image of Lizzie from his mind and seeks her out at her weekend job at a local retail shop to ask her out. Pleased and surprised to see the dark and handsome dentist, Lizzie gladly accepts his invitation. Thus begins what Lizzie would discover is an unlikely and forbidden relationship, for Rahul is a Sikh.

Rahul’s parents are pressuring him to enter into an arranged marriage with a Sikh girl that they have chosen for him. Rahul only wants to marry for love. When he meets Lizzie, he willingly disobeys his parents’ wishes and journeys down the path of emotional and physical love that opens his mind, body, and heart to Lizzie whom he calls his “beautiful English rose.” A shared love of running, sensual attraction, and the ability to have fun together allow Rahul and Lizzie to build a life together. Readers follow the two lovers as their relationship grows and they face the hardships associated with their cultural differences and parental disapproval. Will the two lovers overcome the many obstacles that could stand in the way of their happily ever after?

Maria Goode builds an intricate cast of characters in Just the Beginning. Not only are the protagonists interesting and bold characters but also the supporting characters add layers of significance to this story. From Rahul’s Dentistry partner, Chris Johnson, to Lizzie’s best friend Lucy, the chemistry and deep friendships provide authentic and true to life relationships. Goode includes moments of humor, passion, suspense, and tenderness that the reader can enjoy. Both Lizzie’s and Rahul’s parents play key roles where the Bryan’s are accepting of Rahul and supportive of the couple while the Chaudhary’s support comes from Rahul’s mother only. She loves her son and sees that he genuinely loves Lizzie but his father cannot see past the cultural differences and disowns his son. Abandonment by his father angers and saddens Rahul and provides much of the conflict that the couple faces.

Being a romance fan, I enjoyed reading this story. The author developed a sweet and abiding love between Lizzie and Rahul with their love-making adding to the story without being graphic and raw. The thing I enjoyed most involved descriptions of the couple’s travels, the different settings the couple found themselves in, and the meals they prepared together. All these aspects of the story brought the couple to life for the reader. The thing I liked least about the story involved finding some of the language strange because the British author used slang terms and phrases like “bits and bobs” or “bubble and squeak.” Also, the spelling of many words jumped out as typos before I remembered the differences between American and British English. To me, the story seemed overly long and could have reached its climax and resolution in fewer pages. The author also did not provide as much background about the Sikh people as I would have liked.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Love, conflict, complex relationships, and following characters’ personal growth always make for an intriguing read. I recommend this story to fans of romantic fiction or those who enjoy reading about others’ relationships.

Just The Beginning
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jennifer Allsbrook's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I'm a sucker for romance. This is definitely a must read.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
jaysaa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jaysaa »

Nice book really love it carrying message
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy complex relationships. Sometimes they are so unrealistic. Still I'm not a huge romance fan.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jennifer Allsbrook

Mercy Bolo wrote:I'm a sucker for romance. This is definitely a must read.
This was a sweet love story. It had a few tragic twists but HEA prevailed.
Nyajimo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nyajimo »

Am already carried away by the synopsis.... I need this
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

This sounds like a wonderful mix of several genres, but I like the original take on an arranged marriage. I think this could be a great book for young adults as well. Thank you for the lovely review.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

This review was very helpful in determining if I wanted to read the book. I'm not a huge romance fan, and if I'm going to read one, it has to have something else going for it besides romance. While this sounds like the cultural differences could have been that "thing", the review states that the author doesn't give as much background on the Sikh as she would have liked. I think I will skip this one. Thanks for this very helpful review!

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Jennifer Allsbrook

Pm7lucas wrote:This review was very helpful in determining if I wanted to read the book. I'm not a huge romance fan, and if I'm going to read one, it has to have something else going for it besides romance. While this sounds like the cultural differences could have been that "thing", the review states that the author doesn't give as much background on the Sikh as she would have liked. I think I will skip this one. Thanks for this very helpful review!

Paula :D
I had recently read about the Sikh people and so had that background. For people unfamiliar you can figure it out eventually but not at first. The story was good and had others aspects that made it interesting.
mukaminjenga
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mukaminjenga »

Conflicts in a forbidden relationship.
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

Thanks for sharing
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Your review is really informative, thanks a lot. Just the beginning by Maria Goode seems cool but I've read lots of novels with same story line so I think I'll skip this one.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
AncaPaic
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by AncaPaic »

there is nothing like a good romance book.
Jennifer Allsbrook

AncaPaic wrote:there is nothing like a good romance book.
I couldn't agree more!!

-- 25 Jul 2017, 20:58 --
LadyClaire wrote:Your review is really informative, thanks a lot. Just the beginning by Maria Goode seems cool but I've read lots of novels with same story line so I think I'll skip this one.
Thank you for the positive comments. The marathon running by the couple is something I had never come across in another story.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

This just got added to my "MUST read" list. It sounds like the perfect book to cuddle on the couch for hours with and just forget the world.

-- 25 Jul 2017, 22:35 --

Well, I was going to add it to my list but I can't find the button to add it to the list. Didn't those used to be included at the top of each review?
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”