Official Review: Shattered Perfection by Heather Guimond

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Shattered Perfection by Heather Guimond

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shattered Perfection" by Heather Guimond.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the beloved fairy tale Beauty and the Beast, Belle meets an ogre who eventually transforms into a handsome prince with a good heart, and they fall in love and live happily ever after. In Shattered Perfection, the opposite happens. Mimi Bishop meets a kind and loving Adonis in Vance Ashcroft and marries him in haste; he eventually transforms into a beast.

The whirlwind love affair of Mimi and Vance starts with a chance encounter at the Los Angeles International Airport. They are preparing to board the same American Airlines flight to New York. He is going there for a business trip and she is going for a holiday with a friend. The two find themselves seatmates during the flight, get to know each other, and hit it off almost instantly. They “share a sparkling and dynamic chemistry.” “Humor, happiness and steamy sensuality” permeate their relationship. They soon marry in Las Vegas and settle in their lovely home in Los Angeles.

After a year of wedded bliss, Vance changes. Mimi is subjected to months of verbal abuse which she endures silently. On the night that Mimi is pushed to retaliate in kind, Vance loses his head and almost strangles her to death.

Fearing for her life, she leaves home and slowly tries to pick up the pieces of her shattered heart. Vance attempts a reconciliation. Will Mimi take him back? Will their perfect love ever be restored?

This is an amazing love story written by an author who has a wonderful ability to use just the right words to titillate her reader. The author herself says, “I hope (my story) will make you laugh, cry and ultimately feel as though you have loved right along with Mimi and Vance.” She does just that. Humor abounds; the dialogues are fun to read. For example, Mimi’s lady friend, describing her infatuation with a lover, says, “I swear, all I had to do was get a whiff of that musky cologne of his, and I set back the women’s agenda by at least 20 years.” Potent emotions are described vividly. One heartrending quote is, “One day bled into the next, a study of loneliness.” The book is also lavishly peppered with romantic quotes to thrill any lady (or man, for that matter). Consider this: “My heart is and has only ever been yours.” The reader falls in love along with Mimi and Vance and suffers the broken heart, too.

Mimi, a paralegal, and Vance, a lawyer specializing in mergers and acquisitions, are realistically depicted. The supporting characters all have important parts to play. I appreciate the romance against the backdrop of real life, with families, co-workers and bosses, and a few good friends in the picture. This enriches the story, making it more relatable. Some ho-hum romance novels obliterate other aspects of the lovers’ lives, focusing only on the love angle; this makes the stories ring untrue.

The book summary is forthright about the explicit sexual content. That is usually expected (other readers even require it!) of a novel in this genre. There are at least three such scenes and lots of pillow talk, but they are quite tastefully done and intensify the reader’s romantic experience.

This story has a beautiful ending, one that is extremely satisfying but leaves room for conjecture. Readers are wont to continue the story in their minds.

Considering the engaging story, the author’s facility with words, and the emotional highs I got from this book, I could have given it a perfect rating. Sadly, however, I found a lot of editing issues throughout the book. Punctuation marks, mostly commas for parenthetical elements and hyphens for compound adjectives, were not properly used. There were useless words that were not edited out (e.g., plenty of “time” of vacation time, studied it closely “it”, nodded encouragingly “me” at me) and misspellings (e.g., tears that “threated” earlier, “shoe-in” to win). These distractive errors could easily be addressed by a seasoned editor.

The editing issues make me subtract one star from perfection; thus, I award this story 3 out of 4 stars. Even as is, this story will surely please everyone who has loved, dreams of the perfect love (or even one that is not so perfect), or has lost faith in love. That’s practically everyone, but young readers may have to wait until they are 18.

In closing, I like to commend the author for this debut work that has made me laugh, cry and love along with Mimi and Vance. Yay, Heather, you did it!

Shattered Perfection
View: on Bookshelves

Like Miriam Molina's review? Post a comment saying so!
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

It looks my kind of book with the beautiful cover page and an interesting title. The depth of emotions that you explained in your review makes it a prize read. It is sad that it has editing issues. Regardless of that i am going to enjoy the loving with the author.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Good to know you enjoyed reading it. Though it sounds like a nice read, i avoid books with errors. Thank you for your honest review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

The Researcher wrote:It looks my kind of book with the beautiful cover page and an interesting title. The depth of emotions that you explained in your review makes it a prize read. It is sad that it has editing issues. Regardless of that i am going to enjoy the loving with the author.
Do that, The Researcher, and I hope you tell me about your experience.

Thank you for reading and sharing your impressions about the book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like an interesting book. This isn't my genre, so I probably won't read this. I do like the idea behind the story. Nice review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Miriam Molina wrote:
The Researcher wrote:It looks my kind of book with the beautiful cover page and an interesting title. The depth of emotions that you explained in your review makes it a prize read. It is sad that it has editing issues. Regardless of that i am going to enjoy the loving with the author.
Do that, The Researcher, and I hope you tell me about your experience.

Thank you for reading and sharing your impressions about the book.
Sure Miriam I will definitely share my view with you.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Rosemary Okoko wrote:Good to know you enjoyed reading it. Though it sounds like a nice read, i avoid books with errors. Thank you for your honest review.
The errors do not affect the flow that much, and the emotional highs more than compensate. I do hope I can convince you to give it a try.
kittymamamau
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittymamamau.html
Latest Review: Fences by Angela Khrsitin Brown

Post by kittymamamau »

Sounds like like something right up my alley! Editing errors aside, I think I'll be giving this book a shot. Great review!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kandscreeley wrote:It sounds like an interesting book. This isn't my genre, so I probably won't read this. I do like the idea behind the story. Nice review.
Thanks for reading and commenting kandscreely.

I do understand your point about not reading the book. There are so many good books out there and it's just not possible to read them all.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Thank you for the great review! Definitely adding this one to my books to read in 2017.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kittymamamau wrote:Sounds like like something right up my alley! Editing errors aside, I think I'll be giving this book a shot. Great review!
Thanks Kittymamamau. If you do get to read the book, I hope you can let me know how you find it.
Yemoteley
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zak.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Yemoteley »

I want to read already...!!! Except for he errors though. :roll:
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Zak wrote:I want to read already...!!! Except for he errors though. :roll:
Trust me. You will not mind the errors. If you do read it, I hope you can tell me how you find it.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I would love to go through this love story . Thank you so much for such a nice review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

ritah wrote:Thank you for the great review! Definitely adding this one to my books to read in 2017.
Hi, Ritah. Thanks for the interest. Enjoy the book!

-- 27 Jul 2017, 15:25 --
Darakhshan Nazir wrote:I would love to go through this love story . Thank you so much for such a nice review
You are so welcome and thank you too, Darakhshan Nazir. I hope you get to experience this book.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”