Official Review: High Hopes by Sue Lilley

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
batkinson6490
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Illustrated Edition
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batkinson6490.html
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: High Hopes by Sue Lilley

Post by batkinson6490 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

High Hopes, by Sue Lilley, is an adult romance novel about love, loss, and forever questioning ones life in general. "Didn't you trust me with your secrets?" is a question stated on the first page but seems to be the trend for the story. High Hopes follows the lives of Grace, Dixie and Sam, whom are 3 best friends since they were young and they are now grown with adult lives and many secrets. The book only spans a week of time, but contains plenty of flashbacks to help fill in the story of the journey that is Grace, Sam, and Dixie's lives.

Grace travels to her favorite place, Penrowan, which happens to be the home of her best friends, Sam and Dixie. Grace has kept a terrible secret for the better part of 20 years and as she is nearing her 40th birthday, that secret has come digging it's way out of her past and is threatening her future. Grace has always been a bit of a free spirit, doing as she pleases and bouncing from job to job but as she gets closer to 40, she knows she needs to begin thinking of her future and her secret may be the ticket to finding her way in life or rather, her ticket to growing up.

Sam and Dixie fell in love during Uni and ended up getting married and having a son named Josh. Josh has recently started Uni, studying Law but he has other interests at heart. He keeps this from his parents, as he wants to make them happy, and do as they expect of him. After some of his parents secrets come out, he doesn't want to cause more problems. Sam and Dixie love each other but they both also have their own secrets, thoughts and doubts about things that have happened in their lives. Dixie doubts herself, while Sam feels that he is losing touch with life and wants more from it which causes him to act out against his better judgement, causing more strife in their already hectic life.

All three of the main characters constantly fight with themselves when it comes to: doing the right thing, speaking their minds, and ignoring what is happening because they are trying to save face. It is a common joke in the book to be "ignoring the elephant in the room," which is something even I can relate too as a modern day living adult. The author does a great job spinning the story around each character, intertwining every little detail together to make for a great read.

One of the best aspects of the book is the supporting characters. The author does a fantastic job incorporating side characters that may have small roles, but are so deeply ingrained into the story that you have a lot of characters to choose a favorite from. Danny is the gardener who also has secrets himself that he needs to overcome. Joyce plays a small role, but her part in the book is very important and she is part of the overall big secret of the book. There is also Alexander whom you feel all kinds of different things for as the story is weaved around his and Grace's life as well. There is also Duncan whom you love to hate, but hate to love when he is introduced and explained. There are so many great stories and in the end, they all come together and form this fabulous story of living life with secrets but learning to live after the secrets have come out and the past is now the future.

I could not stop reading this book once I got into it. I found myself reading until late in the night and had to force myself away from it to get some sleep and was right back to it in the morning! There is always something new happening, something new to learn about and ponder. The story is very dramatic, but the author structures it in a way that makes you question your own life and what path you are choosing. It makes you question the "what ifs" in life, and a book that makes me think that much, is certainly worth a second look!

I gave this book 4 out of 4 stars because there is nothing I could find wrong with this book. I loved the story, the characters, the setting, and especially the English flair as the story takes place in England! The author adds in so many details, that you cannot help but imagine the amazing scenery from the luscious gardens, to the pulsing sea. If you like a book that forever keeps you guessing until the last few pages, and one that make you consider things going on in your own life, I highly recommend this book for you!

High Hopes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like batkinson6490's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times when one only remembers to turn on the light."
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
hillkipa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hillkipa »

It's an interesting book and I love it 8)
Wycliffe Endegule

Post by Wycliffe Endegule »

The book is interesting and the simple English used is perfect. I love the book
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love that the author turns the supporting characters into something so wonderful. This isn't my usual genre, but it sounds interesting. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

High hopes by Sue Lilley is simply a choice book. The character of the family completely mirrors that of real life. I love books that have a way of relating to readers. Thanks for the review, batkinson6490
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Not everyone keeps their childhood friends when they grow up. I love the aspect of friendship in this book.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Xenos
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Xenos »

this author just got me off my pants. Its on point and what I love most is the simplicity of the language or rather english. :tiphat: :tiphat:
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

This love story seems to contain an ocean of emotions in it . Thank you for such a nice review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

Great Review!
victor phinda
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by victor phinda »

This book it's quite educative and it shows true love,friendship among those people on other hand trustworthy.i love it.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

High hopes seems like a good read. Thank you for such a nice review. I like it already
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The plot seemed like it's all about the ordinary lives of ordinary people which the author made extraordinary. Thanks for your review. Your enthusiasm about this book really shines through.
Sasha Walker
Currently Reading: The Lies of Locke Lamora
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasha-walker.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Sasha Walker »

Very well-written review! I like books that cause the reader to relate to the plight of the characters and question their own opinions. Judging from the cover I never would have guessed the depth of this book. I look forward to reading it!
Eternal Rose

Post by Eternal Rose »

This sounds good! Thank you for this review!
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Nanig83006 »

I love how in depth your thoughts are on High Hopes and how it kept you hooked from beginning to end. From the cover alone, it comes off as a simple romance, but I like knowing there's way more to it. I recently read a novel with the supporting cast being as important to the main and it was quite enjoyable. It's great to see how they affect the main character. Thanks for your review, batkinson6490!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”