Official Review: A Broadway Dream by Jane Hill

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: A Broadway Dream by Jane Hill

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Broadway Dream" by Jane Hill.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Picture it. Broadway during the 1920s. Florenz Ziegfeld produces a revue called Ziegfeld’s Follies. Girls appear in elaborate costumes bordering on the risque. Gangsters are running rampant from Al Capone to Bugs Moran to Machine Gun Kelly. This is the world in which Agnes “Bobbie” Storey finds herself.

Agnes' family lived in Leaholme until the war nearly closed their inn, forcing them to find work in London. Shortly afterward, her father dies of Spanish Influenza, and Agnes is forced to find a job to help support her family. She manages to land a job at a restaurant belonging to a friend of her father. It is here that she wins The Most Beautiful Barmaid in London contest. This sparks Andre Charlot to offer her a spot in his revue that is traveling to Broadway. She immediately accepts, thus beginning her love affair with fame, success, and New York City.

A Broadway Dream by Jane Hill is a fiction based on the historical person by the name of Bobbie Storey. Amazon has this correctly classified as historical fiction or biographical fiction; however, it was incorrectly classified as romance on OBC. The book is fairly short with only about 200 pages.

It may seem odd, but my favorite part of this story was the ending. I am not familiar with the history of the 1920s, nor the life of Bobbie Storey. Therefore when I read the ending, I was actually taken aback. To me, the ending contributed to the reality of the story. It's unfortunate that I cannot share this ending, but I don't want to spoil it for any who may consider reading this novel. Suffice it to say that the ending almost made reading the whole book worthwhile.

In case you didn't catch the above foreshadowing, I had several issues with this story. First, as I stated above, OBC had this book classified as romance. I viewed it on Amazon before selecting it, but because of the classification, I got the wrong sense of what the book would be. Going into the book with false expectations, it did not fail to disappoint. This is not a typical fiction story with a nice, neat plot wrapped up in a cute package. This is a book that extrapolates the life of a very real person from what little historical facts exist. As such, it comes across as very biographical in nature. It seems to be merely relating a series of events in Bobbie's life instead of having a flowing plot.

In the same vein, there were news articles and historical facts included throughout the story. Sometimes they flowed with what was happening at that point in the story, but other times, they seemed a little out of place. Several times the author sailed on various ships from London to New York and back. It was at this point that the author would insert information about the ship on which she was sailing. While this had nothing to do with the story, it was interesting to see where the various ships came from and who sailed on them. Once again, though, if you are expecting a book with a flowing plot, this will certainly throw you off.

Secondly, the book is filled with grammatical and formatting errors. There are words misspelled, missing punctuation, and missing spaces. There are also chapters where there is no page break, and the chapter flows directly from the previous one. This made it seem like there was no professional editing done. However, I did receive a .doc file, so it is possible that the author made changes after this edition (or at least I'm hoping.)

The most glaring, most egregious error, though, was the changing of viewpoints. This issue was not immediately obvious, as it didn't start until around page 80. From that point on, the viewpoint switches from third person to first person and back again. This occurred with alarming frequency, making the book very difficult to read. The following is a typical sentence from the book. “She had bruising on the right side of my jaw.”

Overall, I found this novel very hard to rate. While it was not what I was expecting, that does not mean it was a horrible story. However, with the errors and most especially the changing point of view, I could not give the book a high rating. Therefore, I rate A Broadway Dream 2 out of 4 stars. This book has potential, especially if you understand what you are getting before you start the novel. I cannot recommend it to anyone, however, until the errors are corrected.

A Broadway Dream
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Fabian Omondi
Currently Reading: Vengeance (Tip of the Spear Book 2)
Bookshelf Size: 82

Post by Fabian Omondi »

It seems like an interesting book and I would surely go through it.I just love romance books
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

I hope you enjoy! Thanks for commenting Fabian.
—Neil Gaiman
pycoder
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pycoder »

I'd love to read a book which is set in the past especially in the 1920's. However i prefer not to pre-taste this book until the mistakes stated above are corrected. Thanks to kandscreeley for this honest review. let me not promise that am interested in adding it in my shelf right away. But i promise to follow this book later and hope it will be enjoyable
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks pycoder. The point of view changing was the weirdest thing. That really needs to be fixed.
—Neil Gaiman
AncaPaic
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by AncaPaic »

I would really like to read the book sound very good
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Its awful that a book with with such an interesting story line has such defects. I would have loved to get a feel of New York in the '20's. Thanks for the review, Kandscreely. ...glad you could enjoy a part of it
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks lady Claire. After a while the changing point of view got in my nerves!
—Neil Gaiman
Emmanuel Nana Asare
Currently Reading: Blood Codex
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Emmanuel Nana Asare »

I hope this book is going to be an interesting one.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

If you decide to read it, Emmanuel, I hope you enjoy. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It sounds like it was an interesting book but all the errors made it difficult to get through. The whole constant changing of viewpoints sounds like something that would confuse a lot of people. Hopefully the author takes the time to edit this.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Amagine. I can't tell you how frustrating it was alternating in the same sentence, paragraph, etc. between first and third person. Yikes! Hopefully, though, as you say, it can be edited.
—Neil Gaiman
Juliet Esther
Currently Reading: That place of knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-esther.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Juliet Esther »

Seems like it has a lot of errors. Thanks for the honest review, at least now I know what to expect before I read the book,the storyline sounds very interesting if not for the errors that you have mentioned.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

It's a bit disappointing to see a book that has potential but all the errors keep readers away. It seems like an interesting plot, so it's sad it hasn't been well edited before publishing. Thank you for the honest review.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Thank you for honest review . I am not going near this book
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”