Official Review: Torn Between by Karen A Miles

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Official Review: Torn Between by Karen A Miles

Post by erasmus »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Torn Between by Karen A. Miles is a story about Melissa Harrison. Set in the hustle and bustle of Singapore, 21-year-old Mel struggles to adapt to living in a foreign country and re-discover love amidst the chaos and confusion that now makes up her life.

While Rob has never been an exemplary boyfriend, Mel believes that he loves her - enough for her to stay with him despite his moving overseas for work. When Rob asks Mel to move to Singapore to be with him, she goes without hesitating too much, naively dreaming of a life with Rob in Singapore.

However, her hopes are dashed when Rob unexpectedly wants them to join in his friends’ and colleagues’ private Swingers Club, an event which lets couples swap their partners for one night. Mel is appalled, but joins the club in order to ensure that she still gets to live the almost luxurious life in Singapore. However, the people in the club are not what they seem, and they will end up doing Mel more harm than she’ll ever experience in her life.

I really tried to like this book, even though it goes in a totally different direction than what I expected so abruptly that I was stunned speechless. The parts near to the ending are a bit better, but the ending itself doesn't endear to me.

Although the setting might not have been the focus of the book, but I expected to see more of the local culture, scenery, and language than the little that’s present. Except for the vague mentioning of some well-known landmarks in Singapore, there is nary a hint that the story took place in Singapore. While there are inklings of how it'd be like to live in Singapore (such as the weather), as a local myself, I feel quite certain when I say that what I read is indistinct enough that it could have been set in a fictional city and there wouldn’t be much of a difference. However, this book is set in 1987, which is before I was even born, so perhaps I’m wrong on this count.

The quality of the writing is unfortunately hovering between ‘mediocre’ and ‘this really needs an editor’. From the awkward, overuse of commas to the lackluster prose, I find Torn Between lacking with regards to its delivery. While avoiding purple prose is good, I think this story finds itself too far at the other end of the spectrum. It read like the author tried to keep the descriptions short and sweet, but it came across as telling without saying anything. For instance:

Mel that evening was was dressed to kill, she was wearing a black and white dress which buttoned up the back and accentuated all her curves.

I don’t think the image in my head after reading that is what the author has in mind. Sometimes the descriptions are better, but more often than not, they aren't. In fact, some of them make me cringe.

...tears mixing with the sweat to form a small salty river which flowed between her breasts.

However, what really put me off the book is how badly the characters are being portrayed. Hardly anything about them is likeable or relatable. The supporting characters mostly have personalities so over-the-top they come across as terribly stereotypical, while Mel constantly gives me whiplash with her reactions. Unfortunately, they barely get any development at all until the ending where it's all pretty abrupt and not very convincing. Harry, who is supposed to part of the conflict (and probably the climax as well), barely made any appearance even when I’m more than halfway through the book. I feel like the only sensible person I can tolerate in the book is Mel’s mum, who probably appeared for some pages and a few phone calls. Well, maybe Rob’s dad, too.

This book is really tedious to read, and the main plot is lost behind Mel, Mel, Mel. For the first one-third of the book, it is mostly about Rob and Mel going in circles and repeating the destructive cycle that is their relationship, which can’t be all attributed to Rob. Even after that, it’s all about how it affects Mel, what Mel does, how Mel feels… you get the gist. In fact, the other characters seem to exist only for that fact that they can create a miserable life for Mel so she can bemoan about it. It's very difficult to see anything else.

While there is a little character development near the end of the book, it is horribly executed and does not involve communication between the people who should have been. In fact, Mel talks to just about every other character about what happened except Rob.

Therefore, I rate Torn Between 1 out of 4 stars, and would really not recommend this book. Look, I really, really wanted to love this book. It sounds so interesting, not to mention that it takes place in Singapore. The language and tone used in the synopsis wasn't too bad either. Hence it came as a surprise when I barely liked anything about it, and in fact disturbs me on a visceral level. Frankly, I feel cheated because the difference between what was promised to readers in the summary (and what I expected) and actual book might as well be a wide, endless chasm. I get upset thinking about it. Perhaps other readers might like this book, but unfortunately, this is not for me.

Torn Between
View: on Bookshelves

Like erasmus's review? Post a comment saying so!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Ndayisabayamado3
Currently Reading: I Can't Make This Up
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Ndayisabayamado3 »

It's obvious that Mel suffered so much in love with Rob but life is not worthwhile coming easy there in Singapore
.The story made me cry because of severe conditions Mel passed through, it was like a dream which is not coming true.
The story is somehow interesting as it teaches people how to behave in lovely situations.
Last edited by Ndayisabayamado3 on 11 Jul 2017, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow. I'm sorry that this book was so disappointing for you. I hate when that happens. This isn't my typical genre anyway, so I'll definitely be avoiding this one all the way around. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ndayisabayamado3
Currently Reading: I Can't Make This Up
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Ndayisabayamado3 »

I love passing through these conditions ,there is a story says do not hate your tragedy because it helps you determine your future.
Diana Kibubu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Diana Kibubu »

The book is fabulous, I like it
Chris keter

Post by Chris keter »

The book is great read.Being torn between has to do with serious decision making,hinges on sweating and crying at the same time
johnny gonzalez
Currently Reading: Superhighway

Post by johnny gonzalez »

It has a nice story , so catchy ad teary as well for the e light hearted .. I rate it at 3 star .
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Erasmus, nice to see you posting! I always enjoy your thorough reviews. It's too bad the book was disappointing on many levels. I am the same way - I get frustrated when a book turns out to be completely different than the summary description.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Sophie11
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophie11.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Sophie11 »

Thank you for this review, haven't read the book but i have an idea what you are talking about, some can be dissatisfying and sometimes put you off reading a certain genre for some time. Well thought out. :ugeek2: :!2:
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

Thanks for all your posts! I'm glad someone else enjoys this book even if I did not.

@bookowlie Thank you for your kind words! Glad you enjoyed my review.

@Sophie11 Thank you!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

This doesn't sound like something I would enjoy. Especially after getting such a poor rating from you. Thanks for the honest, clear review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Htiya

Post by Htiya »

Romance with different people from different continent
Nyanduko

Post by Nyanduko »

Mel did not have to adopt in the life in Singapore swingers club etc though it's nice book for the book lovers
Fabian Omondi
Currently Reading: Vengeance (Tip of the Spear Book 2)
Bookshelf Size: 82

Post by Fabian Omondi »

Mmmh this is a must read book and I just can't wait to have it in my kindle
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

That's a bummer that you didn't enjoy this book. Honestly, it doesn't sound like something I would enjoy either. I really loved your review. Thanks!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”