Official Review: Katie Cannes by Iza MacLeod

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: Katie Cannes by Iza MacLeod

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Katie Cannes" by Iza MacLeod.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Katie’s marriage ended just one month after her wedding day. It only took that long for her loving boyfriend of over 4 years to show his cheating, manipulative side. Katie decides to put some distance between herself and her heartbreak, so she moves from her hometown of Coventry to Mouans-Sartoux, France. She has to start over from scratch, making new friends and finding a new job, but she’s determined to forget her ill-fated romance. On the other hand, French men make such tempting lovers.

Katie is a strong and independent – if not slightly mentally unstable – female protagonist. She is unapologetically sexy and alluring to men without making too much of an effort, if the number of her suitors are anything to go by. However, she is also human and makes mistakes. Her decision to move to a completely different country is burdensome and a decision that she questions often, but her genuine love for France is something that goes through the pages and into the reader.

The scenery in the novel is very vivid, most likely coming from the author’s personal experiences. From restaurant names to tourist areas in nearby towns, nothing about Katie’s journey is vague. I’m sure whatever did not come from personal experience was given proper research to add authenticity to the novel, and it truly shows.

Unfortunately, the scenic setting was not enough for me. Throughout the entire novel, I had a hard time sympathizing with Katie, even knowing all the horrible things she went through. Her tendency to adopt a blasé attitude whenever she was uncomfortable came off as almost rude, and yet men kept coming her way. Despite worrying and fretting over what she should do with the lovers in her life, she gave under very little pressure and provided the reader little in terms of reactions towards her own personal faults.

However, this may have to do with MacLeod’s unique writing style. I personally found it hard to connect with any of the characters, as they were all quite flat and 2D. Or rather, they were written to be 3D, but the bland and textbook descriptions created a barrier between the words and my imagination. I felt that MacLeod relied too heavily on dialogue to move the story along, but in all honesty there wasn’t much of a story in terms of climax or resolution. If felt as if I was reading the very long diary of a woman who strung along men while taking an exceedingly long vacation in France. There was no wrap-up or overview of past events, and no thoughtful words of advise from Katie. After the last page, there was just no more.

Because I personally had a hard time getting through the novel and didn’t particular enjoy it, I can only give Katie Cannes 2 out of 4 stars. However, fans of travel literature or those who have an interest in Spanish or French cultures might get a kick out of it. Readers who enjoy slow-burn romances might enjoy it more than the typical erotic novel. Be warned, though – there are a few quite descriptive love scenes. This novel is definitely targeted at mature audiences.

Katie Cannes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nice review! Too bad the characters were not relatable.May be I will read this novel for my fascination with France.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Thanks for a touchy review. I recoil at the thought of no resolution in the novel, making the whole point of readiñg it fly out of the window.
Miriamsam
Currently Reading: The Award
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriamsam.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Miriamsam »

Great review.
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. I think I'm going to appreciate the vivid descriptions of the scenery. However, Katie just seems not my type of female protagonist. Great job on the review.
charlesjr2
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesjr2.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by charlesjr2 »

Nice review! I'm just dissapointed that the book didn't reach the hieghts of other books in its genre.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:That was a very honest review. I think I'm going to appreciate the vivid descriptions of the scenery. However, Katie just seems not my type of female protagonist. Great job on the review.
Thank you! My name is also Katie, so I had bit of a heart attack when I read the "However, Katie..." bit. :lol: How confusing!
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by 0719672189 »

Thanks for the great review, not my kind of book either.Tha author could do better from your review, sorry for the disappointment.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”