Official Review: Unbalanced by Courtney Shepard

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Unbalanced by Courtney Shepard

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unbalanced" by Courtney Shepard.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Unbalanced by Courtney Shepard follows four orphans, Asha, Ivy, Mere and Avia, as they are united for the first time since their birth decades ago. The four women, though seemingly normal, are anything but. They each possess a unique power to harness one of the natural elements: fire, earth, water and air. Throughout time, there have been female quadruplets with the same powers who have been hunted by the mysterious ‘Order’ and sacrificed to ‘The Four.’ Unaware of their fate, the four women, with the help of four powerful male counterparts, will battle against the Order to save their lives and learn about their history.

The plot of Unbalanced is straightforward and fun to read. The narrative carries the reader along as the author introduces one sister and then another. If anything, there were times the book moved a little too fast. For example, it would have been enjoyable to read more about the sisters lives before finding one another. Similarly, the global settings they travel to, like Egypt, Japan, Italy and Switzerland, are only mentioned in passing and given little description. But overall, the author sufficiently moves the story along, adding in a few twists to keep the reader guessing about the motivations of certain characters.

The four women, Asha, Ivy, Mere and Avia, are all uniquely written and skillfully developed. As the story progresses, the author touches upon the lives of the four girls before they were united. Their stories are similar enough to develop a connection amongst them, yet different enough that one woman can easily be distinguished from the others. Their appearances, personalities and actions reflect four very different girls experiencing similar hardships. In addition, although the characters’ actions never seem unrealistic, the characters are each unpredictable at times, making the women memorable and exciting in their own way.

There is no doubt that there is a lot to like about this book; the characters are enjoyable and the story easily holds your attention. However, there isn’t a great deal of depth to the world the author has created. To be fair, this is the first book in the series and it is likely that plenty will be revealed in later installments. Nevertheless, the bad guys in this book are just bad; they are mysterious and evil, and not much is known about them. The romantic element is, at times, predictable. And the main characters’ outcomes are not always shocking.

Despite the relatively shallow plotting, this book is an entertaining, light read. The four sisters are unmistakable and intriguing, the plot is somewhat unique, and the pacing makes this book a true page turner. Though I am not dying with anticipation for the second novel, I will happily read it when it comes out. For its many positive attributes, Unbalanced earns 4 out of 4 stars; this book will surely appeal to fans of light fantasy novels with mild familial and romantic themes.

Unbalanced
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

The sisters seem like they are well thought out and created characters. It's tricky writing a book with multiple protagonists but it sounds like this author succeeds in making each sister a unique character. The plot sounds very interesting as well.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>

Post by MarisaRose »

Amagine wrote:The sisters seem like they are well thought out and created characters. It's tricky writing a book with multiple protagonists but it sounds like this author succeeds in making each sister a unique character. The plot sounds very interesting as well.

Great Review! ?
Thank you! This book was definitely fun to read. The characters were all enjoyable :)
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like one interesting book with delightful and intriguing characters. I love stories about natural elements and this seems like something I would particularly enjoy. Too bad, though, about the minimal 'depth' to the world the author created but since it is just the first book in the series, maybe we can hope for more. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Courtney Shepard on such high rating.
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like one interesting book with delightful and intriguing characters. I love stories about natural elements and this seems like something I would particularly enjoy. Too bad, though, about the minimal 'depth' to the world the author created but since it is just the first book in the series, maybe we can hope for more. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Courtney Shepard on such high rating.
Thank you! I am definitely hopeful that the second book will go into more detail. I'm looking forward to reading more from this author! :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have to tag my book buddy @hsimone on this one. I started to review this one. I got halfway through and decided it wasn't for me. I just had no desire to continue. Since hsimone and I have similar book tastes, I have a feeling she would feel the same.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

kandscreeley wrote:I have to tag my book buddy @hsimone on this one. I started to review this one. I got halfway through and decided it wasn't for me. I just had no desire to continue. Since hsimone and I have similar book tastes, I have a feeling she would feel the same.
Hey there book buddy! Thank you for the tag! I haven't actually read this book. However, since it seems to be predictable and there isn't a lot of depth, I'd say I would steer clear from this read. Especially, since it looks like you've had a tough time getting through it, and we do have similar tastes in books, I don't think I would enjoy this one.

I love that the four women were uniquely written and developed well, that is very important in any read. However, as mentioned, since there isn't much depth here and nothing really new, then I don't think this is for me. In any case, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed this as an entertaining and light read, MarisaRose!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

@hsimone @kandscreeley thanks for commenting! I have to say, after reflecting more on this one, it almost felt like it would fit better in the YA genre if the characters were maybe a few years younger (they are in their mid-late twenties). That being said, I wouldn't recommend it for those looking for more in-depth writing/world building!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Yeah. I definitely wasn't sure about the romance classification, but I didn't finish the book either...
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

kandscreeley wrote:Yeah. I definitely wasn't sure about the romance classification, but I didn't finish the book either...
It should definitely be classified as either YA or simply fantasy. I'm surprised you didn't finish the book, mostly because it was an easy read. What did you strongly dislike about it that made you stop reading? (If you don't mind my asking.)
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

MarisaRose wrote:@hsimone @kandscreeley thanks for commenting! I have to say, after reflecting more on this one, it almost felt like it would fit better in the YA genre if the characters were maybe a few years younger (they are in their mid-late twenties). That being said, I wouldn't recommend it for those looking for more in-depth writing/world building!
No worries! The appropriate age group and characters' ages do play a lot in how much a book is enjoyable. But, like I said, I will pass on this one, but glad that you were able to enjoy it! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

I didn't necessarily strongly dislike it. It was one of the those books that I didn't like and I didn't hate. I just didn't want to read any more. When there are so many other books out there that make you feel strongly one way or the other, why waste time on one that doesn't make you feel anything?
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

:oops:
kandscreeley wrote:I didn't necessarily strongly dislike it. It was one of the those books that I didn't like and I didn't hate. I just didn't want to read any more. When there are so many other books out there that make you feel strongly one way or the other, why waste time on one that doesn't make you feel anything?
Great point! Makes sense to me. Thanks for the input :)
Mrsbellaz
Currently Reading: Who told you that you were naked
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsbellaz.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Mrsbellaz »

Nice, honest review. The story sounds quite interesting. Does the story explain how they were separated and how they made it back together again? You have me curious about this book. I may just have to read it.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

Mrsbellaz wrote:Nice, honest review. The story sounds quite interesting. Does the story explain how they were separated and how they made it back together again? You have me curious about this book. I may just have to read it.
Yes! The author does provide stories for both scenarios.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”