Review by JanieReads -- The Bonding by Imogen Keeper

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JanieReads
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiereads.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Review by JanieReads -- The Bonding by Imogen Keeper

Post by JanieReads »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Bonding by Imogen Keeper is the first book in a Syfy/Romance series involving interplanetary war, romance, politics, and language barriers. It is an equal mix of Syfy and Romance, with neither overpowering the other. If you love steamy erotic books with an element of science fiction and politics, this is the book for you!

Nissa, the queen-designate of her war-ridden planet, Trian, is sent into space in a cryogenic pod along with 99 other women to seek help for her race. Little did she know, she would not be discovered for almost 500 years. Tam’s planet, Argentus, has a shortage of women so he never expected to find one just floating along in space, much less that he would have to save her life by bonding her to him for life in an extremely erotic, emotional, and potentially awkward way. Especially since they don’t even speak the same language. Tam and Nissa are now on a journey to find the rest of her people, her planet, and save them all the while working through what their unorthodox relationship means to each of them. When someone from Nissa’s life makes a decision that could change everything, will Nissa choose her love or her people?

This book is written in the third person from both Nissa’s and Tam’s perspectives and has good character development on both sides. I love Tam’s gentle and understanding nature and that he is willing to do whatever it takes to protect his mate, even going as far as extreme violence. I relate to Nissa the most because I can really understand where she is coming from with her doubt about their relationship and the duty she feels toward her people and planet. I could follow the ups and downs of every emotion as if they were my own.

The Bonding does a good job of showcasing the politics surround war, peace, and the pros and cons of making certain decisions. The purpose of propaganda in politics also plays a part. In a world with only a 12% female population, 99 un-mated women in danger and floating around space is a big motivation to become involved, even if it means war with their enemy. Using a popular television-type program and important social figure, they rally the general population to encourage the military leaders to take action.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. While reading this book, I was planning to rate it 3 stars because while the love scenes were erotic, I doubted the motivations and emotions which tainted it for me. However, the issue was resolved by the end of the book. I realized that the author was taking me through all the emotions Nissa was feeling (doubt, confusion, frustration), which is a mark of a great writing.

The Bonding took me on an original and unforgettable journey through space and time, war and politics, love and loss. It was a fun, fast, and easy read that kept me on the edge of my seat. This is definitely a book I would read again and recommend others to read. It should be noted that there are erotic scenes in this book that are meant for mature audiences and there is a scene of sexual violence.

The Bonding
View: on Bookshelves

Like JanieReads's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”