Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Romance and Erotic Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Losing Hope by Heidi Lis

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.

Official Review: Losing Hope by Heidi Lis

Post Number:#1 by MarisaRose
» 09 May 2017, 14:27

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Losing Hope" by Heidi Lis.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by MarisaRose
Share This Review

Losing Hope by Heidi Lis is a romance about love, loss, and the road to recovery. On her birthday, Hope receives a call from her ex. The two have a turbulent past and her ex claims to have evidence of a night Hope would rather not remember. Anxious to get rid of this so called evidence, Hope heads to her ex's house. A fateful car accident later leaves Hope in shambles as she is riddled with guilt over the death of her mother. Luckily, her close-knit family and her best friend will be there with Hope as she begins the long road to recovery. As Hope's journey continues, she finds love in some unlikely places.

The narrative is told from Hope’s first person perspective. For the most part, the point of view enhanced the story by allowing the reader to get to know Hope on an intimate level. Her thoughts and feelings, amplified by the narrative perspective, were easy to relate to and sympathize with. However, halfway through the book the author introduces a male narrator, one of Hope’s love interests. Although he only narrates a few chapters, these chapters felt meaningless and failed to further the story. Additionally, the second narrator’s voice sounded very similar to Hope’s, making his chapters actually detract from the tone of Hope’s narration.

The author wonderfully creates a narrator that shows realistic growth over time. Hope’s recovery isn’t merely focused on her complicated, romantic relationships; her difficulties returning to work, maintaining familial relationships and friendships, as well as her exploration of therapy are all major parts of this story as well. Moreover, Hope’s mental pain and physical pain are two distinct entities. As her physical wounds heal, her mental scars remain and continue to transform and reappear throughout the narrative. Hope’s narration realistically represents the emotional state of a trauma victim.

While Hope is a great narrator, the secondary characters are the most enjoyable aspects of this book. Hope’s best friend, Ireland, has a fiery and unpredictable personality that made for humorous and engaging scenes. Similarly, Hunter, Hope’s spitfire brother, quickly becomes endearing because of his love for Hope and his desire to protect her. On the other hand, Hope’s main love interests, Ian and Damien, felt rather flat and stereotypical; both men failed to have any unique personality traits, making them blend in with the story rather than stand out.

Unfortunately, the novel is in need of additional editing. Prepositions and articles are consistently missing throughout the narrative. Though the errors were not major, they occur too often and interrupt the overall flow of the author’s writing. The grammatical errors, lackluster love interests and seemingly pointless change in narrator all lead me to rate Losing Hope 3 out of 4 stars. However, Hope’s engaging narration and her road to recovery make for an endearing story that fans of light romance will easily enjoy. Please note, there are some graphic sexual scenes in this book that are only suitable for a mature audience.

Losing Hope
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 172%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Losing Hope by Heidi Lis

Post Number:#2 by ZenaLei7
» 17 May 2017, 00:33

This seems like an interesting read even though I usually don't read romance novels. I like how Hope's narration realistically depicts what any trauma victim could go through. Great job on the review!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books
Goal Completion: 93%

Post Number:#3 by MarisaRose
» 17 May 2017, 05:37

ZenaLei7 wrote:This seems like an interesting read even though I usually don't read romance novels. I like how Hope's narration realistically depicts what any trauma victim could go through. Great job on the review!

Thank you! Hope's voice was a great part of this book!
MarisaRose

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by hottensiah
» 17 May 2017, 09:13

Its a good book depicting the struggles of trauma. It is self engaging and interesting to get the story from the one passing through all the hassle. Its awesome
hottensiah

Favorite Book: dare to rock
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 4 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#5 by MarisaRose
» 17 May 2017, 09:17

hottensiah wrote:Its a good book depicting the struggles of trauma. It is self engaging and interesting to get the story from the one passing through all the hassle. Its awesome

Yes, the author does a great job using the main character's own voice to show the true struggles of one who has been through great physical and emotional trauma.
MarisaRose

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#6 by kandscreeley
» 17 May 2017, 10:21

This isn't a genre that I usually read. It does sound like an intriguing plot, though. I enjoy seeing characters grow throughout the novel. Thanks for the great review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Fleeting Visions" by Rene Natan
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 66 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 50%

Post Number:#7 by MarisaRose
» 17 May 2017, 10:22

kandscreeley wrote:This isn't a genre that I usually read. It does sound like an intriguing plot, though. I enjoy seeing characters grow throughout the novel. Thanks for the great review.

Thank you for the kind words :) I'm not typically a romance fan either, but every once in a while I like to switch it up.
MarisaRose

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by godreaujea
» 17 May 2017, 20:04

Man, if only it had better editing! It always takes me out of the story when I notice errors. But this story does sound lovely. I am not a big romance fan, so I like how when working on her issues, Hope isn't just focused on her boyfriend. I think that alone shows that she is a well-developed character. Awesome review!
godreaujea's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
godreaujea

Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 333 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 48%

Post Number:#9 by MarisaRose
» 18 May 2017, 07:14

godreaujea wrote:Man, if only it had better editing! It always takes me out of the story when I notice errors. But this story does sound lovely. I am not a big romance fan, so I like how when working on her issues, Hope isn't just focused on her boyfriend. I think that alone shows that she is a well-developed character. Awesome review!

Thank you for the kind words! I agree, editing can be such a hindrance to the reading experience. But I really enjoyed Hope's character, and recommend reading the book for her perspective if nothing else :)
MarisaRose

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#10 by Bengotz0208
» 19 May 2017, 02:55

This book sounds interesting. I like reading this type of genre, I relate to them. And sometimes I get to think of ways to cope with my own problems. Adding this one on my must-reads!
Bengotz0208

Currently Reading: The One
Bookshelf Size: 8 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#11 by Amagine
» Yesterday, 22:23

I love how you said that there is some realistic growth to the character. It makes the story more relatable. Also it's great that the secondary characters are well written as well.

Great Review! 💙
There's no such thing as a kid who hates reading. There are kids who love reading, and kids who are reading the wrong books."-James Patterson
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: Heavy Sketches - Volume II
Bookshelf Size: 611 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 37%