Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Volunteer Reviews

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Review by Jessica Samuelsen -- For the Love of Suzanne

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.

Review by Jessica Samuelsen -- For the Love of Suzanne

Post Number:#1 by Jessica Samuelsen
» 20 Mar 2017, 23:17

[Following is a volunteer review of "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by Jessica Samuelsen
Share This Review

Suzanne finds out that she is pregnant. Her husband is not happy about this and hits her once again. Suzanne has had enough of the abuse and asks him to leave. The next day he is killed in a work accident. After awhile Suzanne goes on a drive to clear her mind she runs into a man on a horse and is transported into the 1800's.

Cody Black Fox is a half-breed in his time he is shunned by the white people because he is Indian and shunned by the Indians because he is white. Cody Black Fox is stunned by the sudden appearance of a woman in a contraption that he does not recognize. He gets her out of the car and is shocked by the way she is dressed. He goes to take her to his chief who he knows will not treat her well. Suzanne begs to not go but Cody does not listen. Cody brings Suzanne into his world which that time was a cruel place to live. He doesn't bring her to the chief but takes her to the fort where he thinks she will be safe. She is not. Eventually, Cody falls in love with Suzanne and commits to doing what it takes to get her back into her time before the baby is born.

This book shows what a brutal time it was for people in the 1800's. It was a hard time for women and it was a hard time for people of mixed race like Cody. There was a lot of brutality in this book that just goes to shows that time it was almost barbaric compared to our time now. I think that was part of the point of the book was to contrast modern times to the time back then and how different it was. It made me appreciate the as the reader the tolerance and acceptance that we do have today.

I liked the concept of the book. I love a good time travel book and if you like this kind of book too I would recommend this book. I liked the resiliency of Suzanne the author put her through a lot and she always came out of it one way or another. It made me cheer for Suzanne throughout the book. The romance was warmingly sensual which was a great contrast to the brutal conditions they often found themselves in. It was a nice contrast. I feel the romance was the star of the book.

I didn't like the constant calamity that the main character finds herself in. It feels like too much it was one disaster after another with no break for the mind. It would have been nice if the action, in the beginning, had been a little more spaced out. It doesn't stay this way and the conflicts mellow out towards the end so I did find that relief I was looking for. Often it came in the romance that sprung between Cody and Suzanne.

I give this book a 3 out of 4. Given the brutality that was found in the beginning of the book with little relief to be found is why I am scoring it less than a 4. This book was a great romance with a satisfying ending which is why I give it a 3 and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good romance with a time travel aspect.

For the Love of Suzanne
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jessica Samuelsen's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jessica Samuelsen

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Review by Jessica Samuelsen -- For the Love of Suzanne

Post Number:#2 by gali
» 23 Mar 2017, 00:15

I loved the book and thought it was a great book as well. I am glad that you enjoyed it overall. Thank you for your review!
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The Lie Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1631 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 56%

Re: Review by Jessica Samuelsen -- For the Love of Suzanne

Post Number:#3 by Jessica Samuelsen
» 23 Mar 2017, 00:22

gali wrote:I loved the book and thought it was a great book as well. I am glad that you enjoyed it overall. Thank you for your review!

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!
Jessica Samuelsen

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%