Official Review: Dark Healer by E.J. Powell

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Official Review: Dark Healer by E.J. Powell

Post by Acwoolet »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dark Healer" by E.J. Powell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dark Healer: A Dark Lords Novel written by E. J. Powell is a paranormal romance novel about a vampire hunter named Colt, who as a child witnessed the violent murder of his whole family. That cataclysmic event set him off on his sole purpose in life, to eradicate the world of vampires. When his world collides with a Dark Lord named Helena, he discovers that there is definitely more evil in the world than he previously thought.

As a vampire hunter, Colt has seen a lot of evil in the world; with that in mind, his only purpose in life is to avenge the atrocity that had become of his family. What he doesn’t realize is that he and his friends are not the only ones out there that are hunting vampires; and even more surprising, vampires are not the only perceived evil beings in the world. After encountering the gorgeous Helena, Colt’s awareness of these new creatures in the world sends him chasing after Helena not only for answers; but also because of the unexplainable magnetism that he feels towards her. Through these encounters they both discover a new purpose in life, and an all-consuming desire for something neither of them had thought possible.

Dark Healer is a fairly fast paced novel set in present times in a first person perspective that will keep you turning each page late into the night. The characters are very relatable and even heart-warming at times. My heart broke for Colt as he witnessed the death of his family and it cheered for each success that he achieved. While the primary characters were completely fascinating in themselves, the secondary characters also gave the novel a well-rounded quality to story. The imagery is quite descriptive so that I felt as if I were engaging with these creatures myself. Along with the imagery, there were enough plot twists and action throughout the novel to keep me entertained and wondering what would happened next.

While at times the dialogue did have a characteristic romance novel feel to it, there was enough character exploration and growth to keep it from feeling ordinary. I honestly couldn’t find any complaints with it. It was both well written and well edited; there weren’t any mistakes that stood out, which gave the novel a nice flowing quality. Between the love story and the paranormal intrigue I was thoroughly entertained.

Because I was so completely absorbed in this novel, I give Dark Healer 4 out of 4 stars. Between the fast paced, page turning action and the heart wrenching turned heart-warming story line; I believe any lover of romance or paranormal fiction will find this novel to be an enjoyable read.

Dark Healer
View: on Bookshelves

Like Acwoolet's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love books that absorb me so completely as this one did for you. I might have to check it out. Thanks for the great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Paranormal isn't really my thing, but this does sounds very well-written! I am so glad that you enjoyed it. Nothing better than a well-written book. Thank you for the review!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

This sounds like a fun read, glad you enjoyed it so much! Great job on the review!
jenrye
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jenrye »

i got it and i love it
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

This book sounds like something I would love to read. I love fantasy and stories that make you want to read without stopping. The plot sounds great too. Your review makes me want to read the book!

-- 16 Mar 2017, 09:16 --

This book sounds like something I would love to read. I love fantasy and stories that make you want to read without stopping. The plot sounds great too. Your review makes me want to read the book!
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Paranormal is one of my most prefered stories. Will definitely read it. Thanks for such a nice review
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
kcollins8199
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcollins8199.html

Post by kcollins8199 »

Dark Healer sounds like it would be right up my alley. I will definitely be reading this sometime in the near future. Thank you for a great review!
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

This book got my interest by reading only its title. But when I also read the review, this gives me the urge to read it already. I already added it to my bookshelves that I will be going to read because I love reading stories or novels which in unreal. Thank you for the good review of the book.
Norma Majozi
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-majozi.html

Post by Norma Majozi »

The book sounds interesting and I need to read the whole book; how do I go about getting to do that?
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great read. I'm not much into vampire stories but this sounds moving and touching. Good job on the review.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A steamy romance between a vampire and her hunter, paranormal intrigue, relatable characters and plot twists to boot? Sounds like quite the read.

You wrote that the book is written in the first person perspective, but it is written in the third POV. :?:
Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review! Who doesn't enjoy a well-rated vampire read? Vampires, vampire hunters, plot twists and action, and above all romance! I love how the storyline started off heart-wrenching, but then became heartwarming. It sounds like quite the paranormal read!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

I'm intrigued what other "evil" (aside from vampires) there is in Colt and Helena's world. Though I have read other paranormal novels that share the same elements as this book, it seems that you thoroughly enjoyed this one. I will try this book as well. Thank you for a very honest review!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Definitely sounds Buffy-esque. Great review and congrats on BOTD!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”