Review by LauraP -- The Bonding by Imogen Keeper

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LauraP
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurap.html
Latest Review: "Something" by Shelby Lamb

Review by LauraP -- The Bonding by Imogen Keeper

Post by LauraP »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Bonding written by Imogen Keeper is a science-fiction in both present and future times text. Triannon, Nissa's planet, has been invaded by other-worlders. Being the queen-designate, it is Nissa's duty to rescue her people. She takes the risk of boarding a cryo hoping to find help outside of her planet. Tam, warrior of Argenta did not expect to stumble upon a floating pod in the middle of nowhere. And he most certainly did not forsee meeting his mate ever in his life. She was dying and he had to save her-had to keep her from the moment he laid eyes on her. Their bond brings forth feelings and personalities hidden within them.

The book begins on a high note with Nissa disvovering that her people are being enslaved and killed by the other-worlders. With this knowledge, she runs to her father, the king to report what she witnessed. Together with the elders, they make the decision to board their well hidden cryos and hope that they would be rescued in time to save their planet. Tam was alone in his ship when he spotted a floating pod in space and after consent from his leader, he retrieved it. Inside it contained the most beautiful creature he'd ever laid his eyes upon. He was both amazed and ecstatic for such beings were rare at base. Upon further inspection and learning that she was ill and dying, he performed an act that even he could not have condoned any other day; but he saved her life and bonded her at the same time, making her his mate. Tam takes Nissa to his base and there she realizes that this is a world very different from her's. Their customs differ on so many levels, even their hair colour is different from that of her people. The warriors on Argentas are intrigued to meet the new female making Tam a very possesive mate and the other warriors quite jealous. Nissa is set on saving her planet and the others that boarded the pods while at the same trying to figure out if her bond and strong physical attraction, bordering on addiction to Tam is chemical or if there are feelings involved too. She knew that being mates, they need each other but she also had a duty to her people and she had to make a choice, no matter how painful and heartbreaking it would be.

The author takes the reader through a sort of futuristic time where there are other planets outside of their own and otherworldly creatures in the universe. Nissa and Tam belong to different planets with the same physical stature among their people. Travels between their worlds is as easy as present time airplanes but in space ships. Wars between planets is a constant in their universe and leadership and customs are varied. Technology is also a theme in the book with some planets having no knowledge of modern day tech while others being more advanced than the present day earth.

Throughout the novel, i was captivated by the characters' personalities. Tam's passionate commitment to his mate, his strength during combat and foul mouth, if i may say so, made him my favorite character. The author made the characters feel real with their ways of life being compatible to mine and very realistic. The unexpected events that always kept me guessing thrilled me with my favorite part being the happy ending that reduced me to happy tears. I commend the authour particularly on her ability to make the reader feel the character's emotions and keep them curious on the next unfolding of events till the end.

Because of the perfectly edited grammar of The Bonding and the riveting plot twist, i give the novel 4 out of 4 stars. The book is a hit and i would recommend it for all book lovers and those with a soft spot for beautiful romance, combat and scientific fiction with a good eye for humor.

The Bonding
View: on Bookshelves

Like LauraP's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Something" by Shelby Lamb

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”