Official Review: The Way You Love Me by Valarie Lovelight

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Official Review: The Way You Love Me by Valarie Lovelight

Post by NadineTimes10 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Way You Love Me" by Valarie Lovelight.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Camille Starlington is in for the surprise of her life when Michael Josephs shows up at her family reunion. After all, Michael isn’t related to any Starlingtons at this celebration. Michael also just happens to be a singer/songwriter superstar with fans all over the country. Neither he nor Camille know what changes their lives are in for when they meet each other in The Way You Love Me, a novel by author Valarie Lovelight.

In this inspirational romance, Michael uses music to cope with the lingering pain from his traumatic childhood. He’s become accustomed to avoiding situations and human connections that may leave him vulnerable. However, Camille is a compassionate woman who believes that love has healing power. She and Michael embark on a friendship that has the potential to become something more. Yet, Michael’s fears threaten to tear down everything he and Camille are building together. Besides, how can their relationship find private space to grow when lights, cameras, gushing fans, and intrusive reporters seem to be around every corner?

Although book covers aren’t always my initial attraction to a novel, this novel’s cover matches the story to a T. It suggests the glitz and glamour of Michael’s career, but not too brightly. A somber quality accompanies the light and color. Likewise, the story itself has an interesting mix of light and darkness. Even with the serious issues the novel addresses, the story never becomes so depressingly dark that it overwhelms the light of hope. Also, instead of tying up the tale where many romance novels end, the author takes Camille and Michael’s story some steps further. It’s as if the reader gets to spend bonus time with the characters, even though the book isn’t especially lengthy.

The writing style in the novel is rather simplistic, and the development is rushed in places. For instance, a character will make a drastic decision without a believable, well-paced progression of emotions before it. The narrator tends to repeat or spell things out for the reader instead of conveying ideas gradually or with more subtlety. This is particularly evident in several references to the abuse in Michael’s past and his present “insecurities.” In storytelling, sometimes less is more. What an author leaves unsaid can be just as intriguing or powerful as what is said, and a good balance between the two will strengthen a novel’s style.

Fittingly, love is the central theme of the novel. The author takes on the task of exploring not only romance but the love and grace found in friends, family, and God. Self-worth is another valuable topic that the novel touches on. However, while it’s important to develop a story’s central theme, it is possible to overdo it. In this book, the theme of love becomes incredibly redundant. The narrator and the characters use the word “love” over and over, until it begins to feel trite and predictable. Again, less could have been more, here.

Moreover, technical errors and inconsistencies appear throughout the novel. Sometimes the characters’ unspoken thoughts are italicized, and other times they aren’t. The spelling of reused words isn’t always consistent. There are incorrectly worded sentences and places where words are missing altogether. There are also many cases of incorrect or missing punctuation, especially missing quotation marks to close out lines of dialogue.

Additionally, it’s possible that a number of readers in this book’s target audience may be uncomfortable with the characters’ language in a few scenes. While not all readers of Christian or inspirational fiction have the same tastes, there are many who’d consider words like “hell” and “damn” to be inappropriate when used in ways other than their literal meanings.

Overall, this is an engaging, inspiring story with clear errors and weaknesses in its style and delivery. Therefore, I give The Way You Love Me a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. While some readers may be distracted by its flaws, other fans of inspirational romance may glean something meaningful from the story’s uplifting message.

The Way You Love Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like NadineTimes10's review? Post a comment saying so!
DRL_Books
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 527">Alice in Wonderland</a>
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drl-books.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by DRL_Books »

I like the way you explain the good and bad aspects of the book. I get distracted by the kind of mistakes you mentioned, and sometimes find myself re reading a whole sentence or paragraph. I think despite the mistakes I'll give this book a chance, both the description and the cover caught my attention. At least now I know it won't be a perfectly written book but the good story might be enough to like it :)
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The premise sounds very promising and the plot is intriguing. Too bad, though, about the flaws. Great job on the review.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

DRL_Books wrote:I like the way you explain the good and bad aspects of the book. I get distracted by the kind of mistakes you mentioned, and sometimes find myself re reading a whole sentence or paragraph. I think despite the mistakes I'll give this book a chance, both the description and the cover caught my attention. At least now I know it won't be a perfectly written book but the good story might be enough to like it :)
Oh, good! I don't know why I've not seen your comment until now, but I hope you enjoy (or enjoyed? :D ) the novel!

-- Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:48 pm --
kimmyschemy06 wrote:That was a very honest review. The premise sounds very promising and the plot is intriguing. Too bad, though, about the flaws. Great job on the review.
Thank you! Yes, there is indeed good material in the novel. :)
Jessica Samuelsen
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-samuelsen.html
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jessica Samuelsen »

The theme of love being overdone does not sound nice. I like how you spelled out what the intended audience might or might not like with the controversial swear words that were used.
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Jessica Samuelsen wrote:The theme of love being overdone does not sound nice. I like how you spelled out what the intended audience might or might not like with the controversial swear words that were used.
There was a time when I wouldn't have imagined certain content appearing in Christian or inspirational fiction, including "swears." :D I know that a lot of readers still expect that books in this genre will be free of certain things, and since books don't come with content ratings like movies do, I think it's helpful when book reviews make note of material that readers might not be expecting. :)
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Well, even the title has something wrong, or may it's just the content that doesn't do it justice.
From the second paragraph, I saw there wasn't anything really new being offered, love themes are always tricky for the artist if you want to make something profound and/or original.
Thank you for the great review.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The premise is promising and the characters seem to be intriguing. Too bad, though, about the redundancy and technical errors. Great job on the review.
charlesjr2
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesjr2.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by charlesjr2 »

Thanks for the honest review. I think the author has to improve a lot in his/her writting style.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
eleh Micheal
Currently Reading: Justice
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by eleh Micheal »

nice review
Shahina Hussain
Currently Reading: For the Love of Suzanne
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Shahina Hussain »

Love this writer who wrote this wonderful review
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Great review, I enjoy when they incorporate music in a story. It always makes it better.
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Whitney Marchelle wrote: 28 Dec 2017, 13:38 Great review, I enjoy when they incorporate music in a story. It always makes it better.
I'm quite a fan of music in books, too. :)

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”