Beautiful Disaster- Jamie Mcguire

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mrs_courtney2013
Currently Reading: a beautiful disaster
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Icon Beautiful Disaster- Jamie Mcguire

Post by Mrs_courtney2013 »

When I first picked up this novel four years ago I was not too intrigued with it. I only read two chapters before putting it down. Fast forward a few years and I decided to give it another try...and I am soooo glad I did! The novel was very put together and the author did a fantastic job when it came to character development. I found myself finishing this read in two sittings. The novel follows characters Abigail "Abby" Abernathy and Travis Maddox. Abby is a from Wichita, Kansas attending school at Eastern University in Illinois with her best friend America and boyfriend Shepley Maddox ( Travis's cousin". In the beginning the characters meet during underground fight as Travis is a well known underground. Travis's feelings for Abby are well known from the beginning but Abby is in denial because of Travis's repepitation of sleeping with A LOT of woman. During one of Travis's fights, Abby and Travis make a bet that if Travis lost the fight he would have to stop having sex for one month, and if he won Abby would have to live with him for a month. Travis won. Abby moves in with Travis. During this time Abby is still in denial of her feelings for Travis and begins seeing a guy named Parker Hayes. Parker is the picture of perfection for Abby. After a few ups and downs Abby finally realizes shes in love with Travis and the relationship spirals from there. They fall in love but their relationship seems toxic. Abby's past seems a little hazy until she revealed she was raised by Mick Abernathy whom is known for gambling and drinking. Mick also is the reason Abby moved from Kansas to get a new start. Mick finally caught up with Abby one night and reveals he owes a very well known mobster (Benny) a lot of money. Abby and Travis fly to Las Vegas to earn the money to pay off Mick's debt. Once they are there, Travis proves his fighting abilitis which impresses Benny. Benny offers Travis a very good deal to fight for him. Travis considers fighting for Abby which ends up being the demise of Travis's and Abby's relationship. In the end Travis has his biggest fight of the year and Abby goes for support. Once the fight in well underway a lantern explodes and the building catches fire. Travis and Abby struggled to make it out but were successful. After this near death experience Travis and Abby realize they cannot be without each other, and hop a flight to Vegas to get married.
Beautiful disaster flows so easily and smoothly. The author was able to tell an amazing detailed story without the novel being gunky.
I am beyond excited to read the rest of Jamie McGuire's work.
bookfan1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bookfan1 »

To say I am a huge Jamie McGuire fan is an understatement. I have fallen in love with every one of her books, but my favorite will always be, Beautiful Disaster. This story about Travis and Abby will draw you in from the very first line and have you crying, screaming from anger, filled with lust for Travis, and falling in love with their dynamic relationship. Every page of this novel is full of heart and raw emotions that McGuire draws out of both her characters and readers. I suggest this book to anyone who is craving a little romance or searching for their next book boyfriend. 8)
payton[]books_r_life
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-payton-books-r-life.html

Post by payton[]books_r_life »

I have a lot of favorite books but this is my number one favorite I have read this book atleast 5 times and reading everyone elses reviews I want to read it again! Jamie mcguire did a amazing job on this book. I have told so many people that they need to read this book I even told my boyfriend and ge dont read but he read this book and loved it just as much as I do .
Cindy Hodge
Currently Reading: she's mine
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reading Device: B00V49LV86

Post by Cindy Hodge »

After reading this review and the replies I am off to find this book. Lol. Thank you.
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

I adore this book and most of the series. A couple of them were still good but not my favourites but MOST were great!. Walking Disaster is from Travis's POV and while I still consider this one the best, his book of this story was great! worth checking out!

Whats bugs me is i've read that some people think Travis is abusive and obsessive and not healthy. But Abbey already knows she wants him from early on so isn't forced, never gets physically hurt by HIM and as for obsessive? haven't we all had meltdowns when things are going wrong with the people we love most? :) I just love this book!
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
Savingmommy87
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savingmommy87.html

Post by Savingmommy87 »

It has been a while since i read this book, but i would still give it a 4/4! It's one of those books you can come back to time and again, and enjoy it every time.
PurpleHaze
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplehaze.html

Post by PurpleHaze »

I am in the minority with this book. I found the hero to be a bit psycho and I did not really get the main characters' love.
indhu

Post by indhu »

i would like to read this book
Kenisha Davis
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Kenisha Davis »

I need to find a great book to read and I come upon this book. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it but reading the first couple of pages. I fell in love with it. The novel characters are Abby Abernathy and Travis Maddox. Abby is a from Wichita, Kansas attending school at Eastern University in Illinois with her best friend America and boyfriend Shepley Maddox who is Travis's cousin.
Travis and Abby meet at a underground fight where they were first introduce,Travis right then and there he had fallen in love with her but doesn't tell. She knows he know to sleep with lots of women. So he goes on and makes a bet with her if he loses he wont have sex for a month but he does win she has to stay with him for a month in his apartment.
He wins so Abby moves in with him but during that time she is still denial about him but she meets a very nice boy name Parker who likes her. They go on a couple of dates and Travis doesn't like him but she doesn't care. but during those dates she realizes that she like Travis. They begin to have a great relationship but then it starts to spiral out of control. During there time of dating Travis meets Abby's dad who got himself in trouble that Abby has to clean up. One of the reasons she left Kansas was because of her father. Her father is Mick Abernathy, he owes money to a mobster name Benny. They fly out to Vegas there to pay Benny but first she needs to earn someone money before she can meet Benny. Travis starts fight with one of Benny's men and caught Benny's. He is offered a deal by Benny.This deal causes a strain in there relationship.
In the end of the book Travis is at huge fight with Abby when a fire breaks out and life flashes right in front of him if he lost Abby. They realize that they can't live without each other so they get on airplane and get married.

Beautiful Disaster is a great book because she wrote very good description and was smoothly to read
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This book brought me into the New Adult genre. I thought it was pretty good, but I've been enjoying books by Penny Reid, Shannon Stacey, and Jaci Burton more. But it was Jamie McGuire that opened my eyes to the fact that romance novels don't need to be tacky works of historical fiction that use words like turgid.
The Canadian Witch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1329">Blue Haven</a>
Currently Reading: Out of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 322

Post by The Canadian Witch »

I haven't read that book in a long time but i remember loving it.
S Parker

Post by S Parker »

:arrow: SPOILERS :eusa-hand:
I know that I am going to be unpopular with this comment, but I don’t think I’ll ever understand why YOUNG ADULT books set such a HORRIBLE example of relationships. The more I read this book, the more uncomfortable I felt thinking about any young reader thinking that this is a romantic story. I know some people will argue with me saying that “it’s just fiction” or “you read 50 Shades and didn’t complain about it” but THESE ARE NOT THE SAME THING. I am an adult, reading an adult book when I pick up 50 Shades. I understand that the way Travis and Abby act is NOT HEALTHY AND NOT OKAY. But these YA books are targeting mainly young women, who are reading these fiction stories hoping for a happy-ever-after romance that they dream about. THIS BOOK IS NOT THAT. I would NEVER allow my daughter to read this book as a teenager. Travis is emotionally abusive, jealous, and generally crazy. If a guy literally goes into a rage if he doesn’t know where you are and calls you over and over WHEN YOU ARE NOT EVEN DATING, then you need to get away from him ASAP. I could write pages on how inappropriate and controlling Travis is. Not to mention how Abby acts. Moving in with a guy, literally sleeping in his bed and then going out with another guy the next day? What is happening. This is not cute or romantic or desirable behavior! I don’t care how much Travis seems to change, there is no way that this relationship is what people should be desiring. THEY RUN OFF TO VEGAS AND GET MARRIED. AT NINETEEN YEARS OLD. Nineteen. Now I’m not usually one to say to anyone that they are too young to know if they are in love or too young to know their heart, but again, THIS IS NOT OKAY. It is not healthy to never hang out with other people. It is not healthy to not be allowed non-mutual friends. IT IS NOT OKAY to control a person so completely. I sincerely hope that young women who read this realize this is not how it should be. But more so, I hope that the young men realize that THIS IS NOT HOW THEY SHOULD TREAT WOMEN AND THIS IS NOT HOW WOMEN SHOULD WANT TO BE TREATED. I am so worked up about this book. I could go on for ages. Bottom line, I wish I would have avoided this book.
Melody1234
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melody1234.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Melody1234 »

Abby and Travis were the 2nd couple I feel in love with and was swooning over. The story folded out beautifully after all the events the characters went through. The story was very intriguing and kept me engrossed. I loved it!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Brandy Truly
Favorite Author: B Truly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
fav_author_id: 21264

Post by Brandy Truly »

I absolutely love the Maddox brothers. Travis is one of my book boyfriends. I was recommended this book from a friend. I thought the plot was intriguing revolving around a bet. Once I started reading it, I couldn’t put the book down.I remember reading at 11am on Sunday until 10pm at night. I fell in love with Travis and Abby.
I love books where a cocky man is brought down to his knees.
Jamie McGuire is an awesome writer. I loved Beautiful Disaster so much, I’ve read every book in the series. Among my favorites were, Beautiful Burn with Elli and Tyler. And Something Beautiful with America and Shipley. Such wonderful love stories.
Recently, I found out about her online extension to Beautiful Disaster, Endlessly Beautiful, which gives you some details of what happens after Travis and Abby got married. I can’t wait to read it!
Epuise
Currently Reading: Evermore (Immortals #1)
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-epuise.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Epuise »

I remember this book! I got extremely bored reading it. So unlike you I never picked it back up. It sounds like it sort of(?) came together in the end but, I didn't like the plot nor the theme for the couple. After reading the first twenty or so pages I didn't like Travis (i'm a sucker for bad boys.), I didn't like Abby either she was way too ....conflicted. Not admitting her feelings to him is one thing but not admitting them to her self is a whole different level of denial. As a woman when you start developing feelings for someone you notice. It's the little things you like the tilt of his smile, the way he looks at you, how he talks to you, his silly little jokes, and/or his determination.

You find your self thinking "That's so cute". If he tells you he likes you even with a bad reputation you hope he'll prove it. Abby was someone I couldn't relate to. She didn't even give him the opportunity nor did she accept her feelings even begrudgingly would have been fine. She was pretty much the lost puppy in this book, and while that's great for historical erotica it was a flaw in this book. I enjoyed the writing Style this author had but I am not a fan of this story.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”