Official Review: Isabel's Awakening by TD Hassett

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
annieeb
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annieeb.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Official Review: Isabel's Awakening by TD Hassett

Post by annieeb »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Isabel's Awakening" by TD Hassett.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

T.D. Hassett’s Isabel’s Awakening is a fictional, romantic novel with strands of intrigue and mystery woven within. Hassett writes a piece about a young high school teacher living in a rundown apartment with a ghastly-looking cat and a thesis that unfortunately does not edit itself. She meets Thomas Morgan in a bookstore and soon realizes is the lead singer in the popular rock band Beckett.

Thomas has a troubled past while Isabel is currently living a life where her troubles seem to follow her around. A few years prior, Thomas lost his brother and divorced his drug-riddled wife. He agreed to share custody of their child. Some aspects of Isabel’s Awakening, including Thomas’ willingness to leave his son with his drug-addict ex-wife, seem less than realistic. It seems unrealistic when reading but the author could be trying to outline some parenting difficulties or instances where children grow up in less-than-desirable circumstances. Either way, Thomas does his best to look after his child.

Isabel lives in an apartment in a dangerous neighborhood while working in a tough inner city school. She tries to get through her days but all of a sudden, her thoughts and troubles change when Thomas enters her rather mundane life. Isabel and Thomas quickly grow attached to each other and learn just how different their lives are. As they learn more about each other, their sexual endeavors become more frequent and more intense. The sexual content becomes rather consistent and while it may not be for all readers, it furthers the plot and shows us more about the characters and how their relationship is changing.

Besides erotic content, Hassett also tries to add strands of mystery and intrigue. Threats to Thomas are mentioned throughout the story but only periodically. It is a problem that is mentioned and made to seem dangerous and intense but are only written about occasionally. It is also wrapped up in a less-than-dramatic way that takes away from the seriousness of the story.

Overall, I rate this book a 3 out of 4. I loved the story but saw some holes within the plot, especially involving the threatening letters. I recommend this book to others who enjoy romance. It is a book I would read again and has made me more interested in other pieces by the author.

Isabel's Awakening
View: on Bookshelves

Like annieeb's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

Thank you for such an honest review. I especially enjoy when romance novels actually have an engaging plot and this one really seems like it does. Great job!
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
annieeb
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annieeb.html

Post by annieeb »

I agree! Thank you!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an interesting book. I would have to agree with you about 'Thomas’ willingness to leave his son with his drug-addict ex-wife, seem less than realistic' Good job on the review.
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

The author seems to address some of the problems facing us in our day to day lives i.e. drugs, love, romance, threats etc. This is especially important if one can relate some of the books content to the contemporary normal life
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Great review. This book seems interesting, and this review makes me want to see what this book is really about, i'll be adding it to my shelf. thanks alot!
Kenk-e
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kenk-e »

Sounds interesting, won't mind having a copy.
madzcraft17
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by madzcraft17 »

I think it would be a great book for everyone who enjoys romance.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

Sounds like an acceptable book to relax to for one evening. I am just sorry to hear about the plot holes.
elizab8
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizab8.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by elizab8 »

I love your review, you detailed how important it is in a relationship with another who is leading in the wrong direction, and how to handle it. This book will give readers the understanding of how to take care of situations very much the same as Thomas and his wife, but not only that Hasset sexual desires is not letting her encourage Thomas but being careful to take care of her career and not become a drug addict as his wife. Briefly I might assume he might have encourage that and could not stop it (not reading the entire book yet).

Great Review!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I like when romance books have more than just that. However I'm not quite convinced that this would be something that I would be interested in reading. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds a little racy for my taste, but thanks for the good review.
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

The book sounds interesting and relatable to life. Thank you for pointing out that the sexual content furthers the plot. I sometimes feel an author just adds these scenes as fillers and don't further the story. When the content is pertinent to the story it elevates the plot and characters. Thank you for your honest review.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Great review. The book sounds different but I would like to learn more about the threats. Who is threatening this guy and why? Comes to mind. I can't believe that the author would skip over something so important to the plot of the book.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Great review. I'm looking forward to adding this book to my shelf. It sounds like a good story. Romance books are my drug.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”