Official Review: Randy Love...at your service

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Official Review: Randy Love...at your service

Post by AA1495 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review: Randy Love…at your service by Shay Carter

Randy Love…at your service follows the journey of Randy Love (the protagonist) as he shifts between numerous houses, jobs and relationships. The plot begins with Randy being lost and clueless professionally. In contrast, his father, brother and sister have stable and established careers. On the personal front, he seems to have a lot of experience with women.

As the plot moves forward, Randy moves from being unemployed, to having temporary part time jobs, to obtaining a more respectable full time job. He also moves between houses and has numerous flings. Through these changes, he learns about life and what he wants from it. The book proceeds to show his journey to self-discovery and stability.

I have one major problem with the book. I don’t think it belongs to the Romance genre. There is one sub-plot which focuses on a relationship. However, the major theme of the book is self-discovery and personality development. I wouldn’t recommend the book to someone who wants a pure and typical romance book.

The main protagonist of the book, Randy, is charming and likable. I could connect with him and found myself rooting for him throughout the book. There are many other characters in the book, from Randy’s family to his friends and flings. I found myself losing track of the characters and the relationship they share with Randy. There were many instances when characters were reintroduced at later points in the book and I had to go back to the previous pages to recognize them.

In terms of language, the book has been written well and seems to be professionally edited. I did not find any obvious grammatical errors. The book has been written in third person. Simple words and sentence structures have been used, which make the book very easy to read and follow. While I thought a few events were described in more detail than required, overall, the plot moved at a good pace.

The author has described many tricky and uncomfortable situations that Randy finds himself in. Most of these were highly amusing and added a humor element to the book. Parts of the book also focused on the sharp contrast between Randy and his brother, which was interesting to read. Apart from these, I didn’t find the plot engaging. The book couldn’t hold my attention and I had to read the book in numerous installments. Further, I thought that the book had an abrupt end. While all the sub-plots were complete, I was hoping to read much more about his new-found relationship.

Overall, what I liked best about the book was Randy’s characterization. His personality, experiences and perceptions were described very well. The author portrays his strengths and weaknesses through numerous small incidents, which helped me connect with the character.

What I liked least about the book was the number of secondary characters it had. It made the plot very confusing, especially when they were reintroduced at later points in the book.

I would rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. The book doesn’t belong to the romance genre and the plot wasn’t intriguing enough to hold my attention. It is a light-hearted read and has some mature content. I would recommend the book to someone who wants a unique, light-hearted and humorous read.

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves

Like AA1495's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Thank you for sharing your review!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

klbradley wrote:Thank you for sharing your review!
Thanks for reading it ☺
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Nicely written review! I don't think it was something I would read though!.
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:Nicely written review! I don't think it was something I would read though!.
It isn't something that everyone would enjoy reading. Thank you so much ☺
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M »

Great and thorough review! It's a shame about the overuse of secondary characters, that always frustrates me when I'm reading.
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

Lauren M wrote:Great and thorough review! It's a shame about the overuse of secondary characters, that always frustrates me when I'm reading.
It was frustrating! Thank you so much ☺
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, insightful review! Randy sounds like an interesting character. Like you, it's annoying and confusing to have too many secondary characters that get thrown to the back burner only to reappear later.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

bookowlie wrote:Great, insightful review! Randy sounds like an interesting character. Like you, it's annoying and confusing to have too many secondary characters that get thrown to the back burner only to reappear later.
True. It got frustrating after a while. Thank you so much for your comment!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I had considered picking this book for review recently so it was particularly interesting to read your opinions. I had been on the fence after reading the sample due to the same issue you mentioned - a lot of characters to keep track of.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

bookowlie wrote:I had considered picking this book for review recently so it was particularly interesting to read your opinions. I had been on the fence after reading the sample due to the same issue you mentioned - a lot of characters to keep track of.

Oh. That's interesring. I'might curious - Having read the sample, do you think the review was apt for the book?
Moizajani
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moizajani.html

Post by Moizajani »

Would you consider this book to be motivational or inspirational?
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

Moizajani wrote:Would you consider this book to be motivational or inspirational?
It has elements of it, but it certainly wouldn't belong to that genre!
Moizajani
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moizajani.html

Post by Moizajani »

AA1495 wrote:
Moizajani wrote:Would you consider this book to be motivational or inspirational?
Oh okay! Thanks!
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

Moizajani wrote:
AA1495 wrote:
Oh okay! Thanks!
☺☺☺

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”