Official Review: Shadow of the Coalition by Jamie A. Waters

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Official Review: Shadow of the Coalition by Jamie A. Waters

Post by Jax14 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shadow of the Coalition" by Jamie A. Waters.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shadow of the Coalition is a sci-fi romance and the second in the Two Towers series.

Kayla is not interested in pursuing her newfound celebrity status in the Towers, and has returned to the camps to once again scavenge for relics. Faced between the choice of Alec, with whom she unwittingly created a partnership energy bond, and the trader Carl, Kayla has followed her heart back to Carl's base. The bond with Alec is still undeniably there, but she knows that if she goes near him again, she might not be able to resist him this time. When unidentified surveillance planes are spotted over one of the camps, Kayla and Carl are summoned to the Towers to share their records, where Kayla's bond will be tested once again. A new trouble, however, has arisen in the form of the Coalition, a little known faction that seems to have its own agenda in waging a war against the Inner Circle of the Towers. The Coalition also seem a little too interested in Kayla. Doesn't she have enough to work through between the two men in her life and now this?

I was fortunate enough to have already read the first book in the series, so had a clear idea of the background story. The author did do a good job, however, in bringing elements from the first story to the second to avoid confusion. The second book was predominantly more a romance book than the sci-fi of the original, but I enjoyed the introduction of the new powers that people were discovering, alongside the elemental powers that had previously been used. New characters made a welcome addition and hopefully the third book can flesh them out even more. The writing is very comfortable to read, with one or two minor punctuation errors.

On a different note, I did find the story itself lacking in substance. There was a basic plotline from A-B, but I felt the whole idea fell short before actually reaching B. There seemed to be a lot of scenes that were repeated and just written in different ways. To me the only character that really has depth is Kayla, and yet (even with the first book) I find her emotions too extreme. She is meant to be this hard as nails character that has no problem swearing and punching people, but yet she is so fragile in places that people have to tiptoe around her or she is liable to pass out.

The book was still very entertaining and I'm glad I got to find out what happened in the story after book one. The ending is left open enough for a lead into another book. There is swearing, violence and intimate scenes, so I would definitely only recommend the book for mature young adults and up. A good but not gripping read, so I rate Shadow of the Coalition, 3 out of 4 stars.

Shadow of the Coalition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Jax14's review? Post a comment saying so!
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Great review. Thanks for sharing!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I have the first book in the series but haven't gotten around to reading it yet :) The first book sounds very promising and I am genuinely interested in what would happen in the second book. Great job on the review.
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

I'm glad that you enjoyed the book, it seemed like a pleasant read. Thank you for the great review!
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”