The Obsession by Nora Roberts

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RebeccaAIC
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaaic.html

The Obsession by Nora Roberts

Post by RebeccaAIC »

I recently finished the newest Nora Roberts book and loved it as much as all her other romance/mystery novels. With the perfect balance of the typical romance mixed with the crime/mystery element, Nora made it difficult to put the book down every night. Although her books tend to have a certain element of "haven't I already read this before?", this one had a unique beginning and inter-weaving storyline that kept me interested from the first page to the very last.
Mynxofhearts
Currently Reading: Icarus Rising
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mynxofhearts.html
Reading Device: B00REQKWGA

Post by Mynxofhearts »

I'm glad to know this one was unique. I have the same "haven't I read this before" kind of thing with some of her stuff, but I do love each book more and more. Same story over and over doesn't bother me a bit when she writes it!
Constant Reader
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-constant-reader.html
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Constant Reader »

This is one of my favorite recent Nora Roberts books. So many times I get that "haven't I read this before" with her books, and this one felt fresh and different. I couldn't put it down, and read long into the night, just to finish it. I thought I knew what was coming about halfway through the book, and I was pleased to discover that I wasn't entirely correct. I was so happy to not be disappointed. There are other authors of her caliber whose books have become very repetitive, and I'm glad she has not yet fallen into that trap.
Megwe85
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megwe85.html
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar

Post by Megwe85 »

Usually I find that Nora Roberts strikes the right balance between providing detail and keeping the story moving. In this book, I thought the middle was too slow and bogged down by detail - down to descriptions of glassware. I usually like when the author mixes romance and suspense, but this wasn't my favorite.
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar
snaggerpuss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by snaggerpuss »

I love all of Nora Robert's books haven't read this one yet thanks for letting me know i can now purchase to add to my personal library
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Nora Roberts is one of my go-to authors when I need to chill out. As long as the characters have at least some depth and the plot is reasonably interesting, I’m happy. The first third of this book is well above her usual writing style but, sadly, the rest does not live up to the beginning.

The opening chapters are riveting and have a very authentic feel. On occasion, this author has shown glimpses in other books of an ability to write this well. In this one, I was amazed by the strength of Naomi and the grace of Ashley. I loved the uncles, Seth and Harry. I felt deeply for Naomi’s mother while at same time wanting to rant at her for the impact her behavior had on her family. Her continued defense of and interaction with the monster that was her husband is only one of several “obsessions” we are introduced to in this novel.

Once the scene shifts from the story’s origin to present day, it does begin to drag. For my taste, there was too much emphasis on Naomi’s house remodel and her photography. Nonetheless, the pace picks up as it moves toward the conclusion. The cameo appearance of the uncles and their interaction with Xander was heartwarming.

I would rate this one a three overall. It is disappointing as I think it could have reached a four with a bit more focus and editing.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
laneyboggs30
Currently Reading: The Depression Cure
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laneyboggs30.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers
Reading Device: B00746W9F2

Post by laneyboggs30 »

I just finished reading this one today and I was thrilled with it. It's been a while since I've indulged in a romance novel or a murder mystery. As a side effect, this may have added to the charm. This is the first book by Nora Roberts that I have read and I'm excited to read more from her.

It seems as if more than a few people on this forum feel that her various books can be too similar. I'm wondering if that is in reference to the plots of her different books being alike. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed this one and would give it 4 out of 4 stars. I almost literally couldn't put it down and stayed up way past my usual bedtime reading it. It was refreshing.

The only criticism I have is that the ending seemed a bit abrupt. I could feel the story start to conclude and caught myself thinking that I should really have more pages left to get through. The bulk of the book was exciting and I really enjoyed how the murder mystery was multidimensional. Furthermore, there were many quips and witty vocabulary that I found impressive. All in all, a very good book that I will be highly recommending to my friends!
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

I have read one of the book of the author, but havnt read this one. But am sure i will enjoy it.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I must be one of the few who haven't read any Nora Roberts' books yet. Since my favorite genres are romance and mystery, this one sounds like a good one to start reading. Thanks for recommending it.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Lhisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhisa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lhisa »

I've read many books by Nora and have enjoyed them thoroughly. I look forward to reading this one. Thanks for the recommendation. Also glad to hear that this one is a little different that her usual too.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I have read almost all of Nora Roberts' books. The Obsession was excellent as usual. I just finished Shelter in Place. So intriguing. Nora Roberts always creates good characters.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”