Official Review: Missing Pieces by Michael Golvach

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: Missing Pieces by Michael Golvach

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Missing Pieces" by Michael Golvach.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I’m always on the lookout for decent romance novels, and Missing Pieces by Michael Golvach just might be one of the most haunting romance stories I have come across in a very long time. It’s been days since I finished this book, but I can’t get the story out of my head. I loved it, and I hated it. It made me want to cry in happiness, sob in misery, gasp in surprise, and gag in disgust. I have a feeling that this is one romance that I will not easily forget.

Missing Pieces tells the story of twenty-year-old Mike, who doesn’t have much going for him aside from working at a terrible job at a supermarket and getting high with his drug dealer and the girl he’d once been in love with. But when he meets Mandi, his life suddenly seems to have more meaning. Mandi also doesn’t have a lot going for her; she’s been the victim of abuse since she was a child, which has left her scarred, both physically and emotionally. Mike’s friends can’t see past her prosthetic eye and frumpy clothing (worn to hide her scars), but Mike believes that Mandi is nothing but beautiful. The two of them are desperate to be together, but there are many obstacles standing in their way, starting with the large man who is currently responsible for Mandi’s most recent bruises.

A word of warning for sensitive readers: this is easily the most disturbing book I have ever read. Explicit sexual content and graphic violence (or a combination of two) are abundant throughout the book, as well as strong language and themes of drug use, domestic abuse, rape, and incest. There were moments when I would openly cringe at the disgusting images being painted on the pages before me, and I like to think that I have a pretty strong stomach for that sort of thing.

This book is rather long -- more than 500 pages in my edition -- but the first half of the book flew by as I was reading. The pacing slowed down a bit after that, which made reading a bit more tedious, but there was always something going on to further develop the story and keep me guessing about where things were headed, right down to the very end of the story. The characters are easily the best part of the book. They are all deep and realistic, with believable attitudes, psychological issues, and real-life problems. The excellent portrayal of Mike, Mandi, and Mike’s friends are definitely what helped the book flow so nicely.

In the end, I have to give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The great characters and the fast-pace of the beginning of the book were definitely positives for the story. The graphic content of the book, on the other hand, was a big turn-off for me. It was too difficult to see the beauty of the romance between Mike and Mandi when there was just so much disturbing imagery clouding the path. The ending of the book also felt a little dragged out, with too many lines of dialogue about feelings, restating the same messages multiple times. However, overall, this is still a story I will certainly not forget about any time soon! I recommend this book to those who enjoy a good romance but don’t mind extreme graphic content thrown into the mix.

Missing Pieces
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ALynnPowers's review? Post a comment saying so!
mgolvach
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by mgolvach »

Thank you so much for the review. I really appreciate your comments and direct style. I wish this was on Amazon :)
, Michael Golvach
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

Sounds interesting but too bad about the graphic content. Great review though. :)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

mgolvach wrote:Thank you so much for the review. I really appreciate your comments and direct style. I wish this was on Amazon :)
, Michael Golvach
You are in luck because I'm going through a phase right now where I review EVERY book I read on both Amazon and Goodreads. I like to think that because of my commitment to writing good, honest reviews for OnlineBookClub, then I can be taken seriously as a reviewer on other sites as well. Other reviews are coming (though, honestly, they won't be as good as this one, because my best effort is reserved for OBC! Hee hee) 8)
mgolvach

Post by mgolvach »

ALynnPowers wrote:
mgolvach wrote:Thank you so much for the review. I really appreciate your comments and direct style. I wish this was on Amazon :)
, Michael Golvach
You are in luck because I'm going through a phase right now where I review EVERY book I read on both Amazon and Goodreads. I like to think that because of my commitment to writing good, honest reviews for OnlineBookClub, then I can be taken seriously as a reviewer on other sites as well. Other reviews are coming (though, honestly, they won't be as good as this one, because my best effort is reserved for OBC! Hee hee) 8)
Hi again,

I understand your position completely. OBC is lucky to have straightforward reviewers like you. And, thank you, again, for your review(s). It's one of the most even-handed reviews I've gotten so far.

Best wishes to you :)

, Mike
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Beautiful and well-rounded review, ALynnPowers! Even with the graphic scenes and the lag towards the end, I think I will add this to my to-read list. Your powerful words convinced me this is something that I may enjoy. Congratulations to the author for writing such a compelling story!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

hsimone wrote:Beautiful and well-rounded review, ALynnPowers! Even with the graphic scenes and the lag towards the end, I think I will add this to my to-read list. Your powerful words convinced me this is something that I may enjoy. Congratulations to the author for writing such a compelling story!
If you're a bigger romance fan than I am, you'd probably enjoy it more. Sometimes I wonder if I am heartless and just don't "get" love. Lol.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

ALynnPowers wrote:
hsimone wrote:Beautiful and well-rounded review, ALynnPowers! Even with the graphic scenes and the lag towards the end, I think I will add this to my to-read list. Your powerful words convinced me this is something that I may enjoy. Congratulations to the author for writing such a compelling story!
If you're a bigger romance fan than I am, you'd probably enjoy it more. Sometimes I wonder if I am heartless and just don't "get" love. Lol.
I am a pretty big fan of romance! I've added it to my list. You are not heartless! This is how I picture you: :romance-lovegoddess: Lots of hearts! :D
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

hsimone wrote:
ALynnPowers wrote:
I am a pretty big fan of romance! I've added it to my list. You are not heartless! This is how I picture you: :romance-lovegoddess: Lots of hearts! :D
Haha, thanks. And I love how the emotion guide thingy calls that the "lovegoddess" Hahaha! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

ALynnPowers wrote:
hsimone wrote:
ALynnPowers wrote: If you're a bigger romance fan than I am, you'd probably enjoy it more. Sometimes I wonder if I am heartless and just don't "get" love. Lol.
Haha, thanks. And I love how the emotion guide thingy calls that the "lovegoddess" Hahaha! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
It is pretty awesome! :lol2: It reminded me of Medusa, except with hearts instead of snakes! :)
Heidi

mgolvach

Post by mgolvach »

Hsimone,
Thank you very much for your kind words. I do truly appreciate them :)

, Michael Golvach
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Great review! I too would be turned off by the scenes of abuse so I appreciate you including that warning. It does sound like a good, well-written story though.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

If any of you guys read this book, please let me know so we can share thoughts! We can be all secretive about it so we can discuss spoilers. Hahaha.
mgolvach

Post by mgolvach »

Thanks to everyone for their kind words and interest!

Just to put it out there: If you ever have any questions about the book that you'd like to ask me, feel free. I can't guarantee how quickly I'll get back to you, but I'm always glad to answer and talk to readers (being one myself ;)

Take care,

Michael Golvach
Naditha98
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... p?id="></a>
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Naditha98 »

Hey I love the way u review this book. I haven't read the book but I feel like I know this is my type of book or not.
I like this kind of romance (although I still trying to get past the graphic violence), and haven't read it but think.... I am going to looking for this book.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”