Review by ash77atc -- Back To You by Chontelle Brison

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ash77atc
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash77atc.html
Latest Review: "Broken Places" by Rachel Thompson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by ash77atc -- Back To You by Chontelle Brison

Post by ash77atc » 28 Mar 2016, 10:43

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Back To You" by Chontelle Brison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Back to You” by Chontelle Brison

“Back to You” by Chontelle Brison is a romance novel that is the first in a series and introduces the reader to Synclair and the Hudson family. The reader initially meets Synclair in college and learns of her troubled upbringing and perseverance. She is from a rough background and quite a scrappy girl who has done the best she can to make something of herself by going to UNLV. She meets the boy who inevitably breaks her heart and sets the tone for her relationships with men going forward. We then fast-forward 15 years and see how Synclair's defining experience with love in college has influenced her adulthood. Synclair is not the type of girl to make the same mistakes twice so she has kept her distance from any type of intimate emotional relationship and throws herself into her job as a bartender at her Uncle's bar in Las Vegas. She doesn't allow herself any type of close friends out of fear, however, she does begrudgingly take a young bartender, Rachel, under her wing, while attempting to maintain personal distance with her.

After a Murphy's Law type of week, Synclair goes looking for Rachel, who may have been taken by someone against her will. Synclair's search for Rachel leads her to Carson City where she falls right into the arms of Reece, the man who had deeply hurt her in college. Will her first love be able to win her back? Will Synclair open up her heart and learn to forgive? Can Reece and Synclair find happiness together after all?

I really enjoyed reading this novel and I had a difficult time putting it down. There are a few graphic scenes so I recommend this for mature readers. Brison does a wonderful job of describing Las Vegas, UNLV, and Carson City so the reader can visualize the scenery and background. Brison depicts her characters with the same attention, allowing the reader to develop a connection to each one. I appreciate a strong female lead character who is not looking for a man to rescue her. She is a woman who can take care of herself and does not want or need any help from anyone else. This is different from a typical damsel in distress type leading lady. This novel is the first in a series and I can see how Brison has set up the additional novels to cover the stories of the other characters. This also allows the reader to develop a yearning to see what will happen with this family. I, for one, will be looking to read the rest of the novels in the series.

There are a few grammatical errors and a few places with missing quotations, but this did not disrupt the readability for me. I give this novel 4 out of 4 stars because it is a beautifully written interesting love story without stereotypical main characters. It kept my interest and I developed a connection to the characters, leading me to want to read the remaining books in the series to see what happens to them.

Back To You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ash77atc's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Broken Places" by Rachel Thompson

Arushi Singh
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arushi-singh.html
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Post by Arushi Singh » 29 Oct 2017, 21:53

I'm going to read this one. :D
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”