GREY: Fifty Shades of Grey As Told By Christian by EL James

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
APatwary989
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apatwary989.html

Re: GREY: Fifty Shades of Grey As Told By Christian by EL Ja

Post by APatwary989 »

I was not aware that there was an alternative retelling of the fifty shades of grey book. I love the idea of all different human experiences being recorded into, frankly, an object. Knowing that sex and love is also being appreciated in the literary world gives me the sense of empowerment and shows to me how fearless words can truly be. I know I'm a bit over the top but I am so passionate about reading and writing that I can't actually hold back from sharing exactly how I feel about a certain book or books in general. I will be sure to read this so thank you for bringing it to my attention.

-- 18 Dec 2015, 10:23 --

I was not aware that there was an alternative retelling of the fifty shades of grey book. I love the idea of all different human experiences being recorded into, frankly, an object. Knowing that sex and love is also being appreciated in the literary world gives me the sense of empowerment and shows to me how fearless words can truly be. I know I'm a bit over the top but I am so passionate about reading and writing that I can't actually hold back from sharing exactly how I feel about a certain book or books in general. I will be sure to read this so thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Lisa10e
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa10e.html

Post by Lisa10e »

I have heard good and bad things about this book. I haven't read it yet, and I don't know if I will. The movie really ruined any interest I had in this series.
Bookaholic14
Currently Reading: Life and Death
Bookshelf Size: 373
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookaholic14.html
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Reading Device: B00HNOWHRU

Post by Bookaholic14 »

I personally enjoyed the original series, and after the “teaser” of Christian’s POV at the very end, I was eager for the release of Grey. Sadly, I don’t feel that this one lived up to the others. I did enjoy the chance to see the world through Christian’s eyes, to get into his head, and to get a better sense of what he was thinking and feeling. I find that changing the POV offers a more well-rounded understanding of the characters, which I think improves the book as a whole. I feel that in this particular instance, Christian’s POV and self-reflection were perhaps belabored. There was such a focus on his feelings on insecurity, his self-hatred, and his feelings of worthlessness, that those points took over the novel. I appreciate the chance to see beyond the mask that Christian puts up, but for me this was a little overdone. With the original series, I couldn’t put the books down; with this book, I struggled to pick it up. I did eventually finish reading it, but it was a laboured effort to do so.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. – Neil Gaiman
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
charysma_lilly
Favorite Author: too many....
Currently Reading: Before I Fall
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charysma-lilly.html

Post by charysma_lilly »

Hi guys,

Your comments heled me a lot. I actualy did not want to read it as i believed it could not bring any more to the story. Thanks ;)
Cynbooks
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynbooks.html

Post by Cynbooks »

I personally like books told from various POVS. I liked this book better than the first.
dcoleman1126
Currently Reading: Grey
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dcoleman1126.html

Post by dcoleman1126 »

I am finally reading the book now...It is awesome to be able to see Christian's point of view. I like how it makes you remember the first book and remember the way Anastasia thought of things. It's just refreshing to be able to see both sides and this book allows readers to get a better understanding of Christian Grey!
marriedtoallen
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marriedtoallen.html

Post by marriedtoallen »

I absolutely love the way E.L. James writes, this book got a lot of bad reviews, I disagree with them, because in the original Fifty Shades of Grey books you do not see that Christian Grey is a man, like anyother, he has needs but he also has a heart and is not so intimidating.

This book shows a new side to him, and I love it!!!
Jessicapape
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessicapape.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Jessicapape »

I found this book to be interesting and wit that I really hope the E. L. James does go into carrying this concept in to the other two books. For some it may have been a repetitive storyline and not interesting as you kind of knew the outcome. But for me it was a great way to get answers to the burning questions I had while reading the original series.

With that I really hope I get to read more, but I'm excited that started filling the second film.
pallavi garg
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pallavi-garg.html

Post by pallavi garg »

I have read the series but somehow haven't yet read this one...somehow it still haven't reached my to read bookshelf...telling the same story through different character don't really excite...
DesiP
Currently Reading: Modern Wicked
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desip.html
Latest Review: "All Roads Lead to Hades" by K.S. Morgan
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by DesiP »

I loved this book as much as the first three! I had some issues with the simplicity in the way that the story was told (almost childlike), and I felt that in some cases there was too much time spent on descriptions, but otherwise it was great! The whole series kept me riveted. I loved getting the story from Christian's pov! I'm one of those people who believes that stories are better when you get both of the main character's perspectives. I really, really hope that we get the rest of the series from Christian's pov!
Judyk
Currently Reading: Orphan Train
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judyk.html

Post by Judyk »

Because of all the repeating of events I did get bored a few times but the alternate viewpoint is something I enjoy. I just enjoy it more when they are in the same book.
DesiP
Currently Reading: Modern Wicked
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desip.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by DesiP »

I agree that I enjoy it a lot more when the alternate pov happens in the same book. I think that doing it this way is a money making ploy, but since I took some time (like a year) between reading the original and Grey I wasn't bored with the same story again.
batkinson6490
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Illustrated Edition
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batkinson6490.html
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by batkinson6490 »

I am halfway through the book but I am having a hard time finishing as it just seems repetitive to me. I feel the author wrote it quickly to get his side of things out because maybe people had the wrong opinion of Christian from the original books? I am going to finish it but I find it lacking in some areas personally.. :(
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

I have to say, I enjoyed the Fifty Shades of Grey series much more after reading Christian's POV. The way his struggle is demonstrated in GREY explains a lot of his actions and thinking that was missing in the first book with Anastasia. I read Fifty Shades of Grey and was originally put off by the characters, but after reading GREY I decided to give books 2 and 3 another chance and was able to enjoy the series much more.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
Fati-bola
Currently Reading: Rogue Captain
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fati-bola.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Fati-bola »

True, I prefer the story told from Christian's view. It is scary to know that a child can thus be abused. I felt anger at Mrs Robinson, pity for Christian and confusion for Anastasia. When I read erotic stories, I skip the lewdness to the main pages. I have seen the visuals too and the second part and I'm eagerly waiting to see the last of the trilogy. Thanks for this review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”