Review of Broken Boys Beyond Friendships

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: One If by Carol B Allen
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Review of Broken Boys Beyond Friendships

Post by Laney K »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Broken Boys Beyond Friendships" by Dak Kopec.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Blake is a fifty-three-year-old man who has a history filled with pain and suffering. The daughter of his longtime friend, a young journalist, wants to write a book based on his life. Blake agrees and begins to reveal an emotional past that starts with him meeting Logan in high school. The two hit it off and bond over a frog they were dissecting in class. They grew inseparable and decided to see the world together; this led to Blake and Logan moving to California together to try and make it big. Will they be able to survive the world of Hollywood? Pick up a copy of Broken Boys Beyond Friendships by Dak Kopec and find out!

My favorite part of this book was the interview format the book took on. Blake was able to explain what his younger self was feeling, but he also had the retrospect from being more mature to shed more light on his life. It was an interesting juxtaposition of an older man explaining his teenage self and the shortsighted decisions that plague young people. For example, in his desperation to get an agent, Blake looked past several red flags and shackled himself to an untrustworthy man. This is a decision the older Blake knew wasn't the best one, but, at the time, it seemed fine.

The drawback to this format is that there were times the book's pacing was slow. There were several points when Blake was interrupted during his storytelling, and it slowed down the plot. However, this is a product of the book style and wasn't a major issue. It is also the only thing I disliked about this book.

I am delighted to rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. The slower points in the book were not enough of a reason to take away a star. In addition, I only spotted one minor error; I believe that this book was professionally edited. I was enticed from the start due to the themes of friendship, love, addiction, and loneliness. The characters were all compelling, and Blake's story was gripping from the start.

This book does contain strong language, sexual content, violence, and aggression towards religion. If you are not comfortable with homosexuality, then this is not the book for you. However, if you are looking for a heart wrenching novel that features deep friendships and reflections on life, this is a perfect choice.

Broken Boys Beyond Friendships
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stephanie Stones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonchika.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Stephanie Stones »

This is an interesting and well thought of review. I would love to try out this book and know more about the fascinating things in it. This is an interesting storyline.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

This is a lovely review. I think most of us reflect on what we did in our youth, and much of it can seem bittersweet.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”