Official Review: If I Loved You by Mary J Williams

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing a single book or single series in each topic thread. Please set the title of the topic thread as the name of the book or series, and preferably include also the author's name if it fits. If you want to discuss a book in its entirety, i.e. you don't mind spoilers, please also include the word spoilers in the subject to warn users who may not want to read spoilers. If a thread does not have a clear spoiler warning, then it is against the forum rules to post spoilers in it. If you are an author or publisher, you may not start a topic about your own book; instead please click here to learn how to get your book or ebook reviewed.
KWill20
Favorite Author: mark zusak
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4056">The Glass Castle</a>
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwill20.html
Latest Review: "If I Loved You" by Mary J Williams
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 17801

Official Review: If I Loved You by Mary J Williams

Post by KWill20 » 07 Aug 2015, 19:42

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "If I Loved You" by Mary J Williams.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If I Loved You by Mary J. Williams is book number one in the Harper Falls series. This is the first novel Williams has ever put out, which surprises me due to the fact that her writing is so good. Williams knows how to captivate an audience with her words and keep them intrigued. I found her dialogue to be especially interesting, as she always had a way of keeping it lighthearted, sexy and fun. By the end of the novel, I was left feeling like I hadn’t had enough of the small town that is Harper Falls. I didn’t want the story to end, I really got invested into it and I think you will, too!

The main character of the story is Rose, a rising recording artist and musician. Rose seems to have her life together: she has a great career and great friends. She likes the fact that she is not tied down to a romantic relationship and promises that she will never get married. But one day she realizes that she needs something to fulfill her sexual desires and so, she decides to initiate a one night stand at the Harper Falls Ball.

Enter Jack, a celebrity bodyguard who is very single and attainable. Rose comes on to Jack and they immediately discover the spark between them. Soon, they start to get to know each other better, and they quickly realize they have feelings for each other. Although Rose’s goal was to have a one night stand with no strings attached, can she be able to maintain that type of relationship with Jack, a man that she really, really likes?

I enjoyed the way this story turned out. Although it seems pretty predictable, you soon discover unexpected plot twists and themes other than lust. The emotions that came from these stories definitely tugged on my heart strings, and they will tug on yours as well. Williams touched on all the emotions on the spectrum, such as anger, love, anxiousness and sadness, which is hard to do in a romance novel like this one. She somehow made the words you see on the page come alive and made me fall in love with the characters, plot and setting. I quickly became interested in all of the stories that made the characters who they are, including their past and current struggles.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The only reason I did not give the novel the full four stars is because of the grammar issues. For me, these issues did take my attention away from the story at times. It’s not very hard to notice that the editing in this book wasn’t very thorough. But excluding the grammar, I would read this book again in a heartbeat. All in all I thought this novel was a fun, quick, and excellent read for the summer. I recommend it to anyone who is a sap for a delightfully sexy and cute romance story!

If I Loved You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like KWill20's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "If I Loved You" by Mary J Williams

shelley_soetosenojo
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 21940">the fiery cross</a>
Currently Reading: Lamentation
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelley-soetosenojo.html
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by shelley_soetosenojo » 01 Oct 2015, 10:04

Great job on the review. As a sucker for romance novels, this book will definitely go on my wish list.
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro

amybo82
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: PURPOSE: The Alignment Guide: by Michelle Vandepas
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 » 01 Oct 2015, 13:44

I get so distracted by grammar issues! This might be an interesting book, but it would probably take me forever to get through because I would be so easily distracted!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman

Espie
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Espie » 06 Sep 2018, 19:34

Thank you for your well-written review. I think I've already outgrown reading books of this genre several decades ago. There are pieces where technical errors could be an impediment for me to consider them as a good read, yet there are those that are so compelling enough for me not to mind the hiccups at all.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

trajoe1206
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 » 06 Sep 2018, 20:34

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. It's a shame that there were grammar issues which affected the flow of the book

LV2R
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 128
Favorite Book: And Then I Met Margaret
Currently Reading: Trading E-Mini Stock Index Futures
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Death in Costa Rica by J. J. Jorgens

Post by LV2R » 06 Sep 2018, 21:48

KWill20 wrote:
07 Aug 2015, 19:42
[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "If I Loved You" by Mary J Williams.]

I enjoyed the way this story turned out. Although it seems pretty predictable, you soon discover unexpected plot twists and themes other than lust. The emotions that came from these stories definitely tugged on my heart strings, and they will tug on yours as well. Williams touched on all the emotions on the spectrum, such as anger, love, anxiousness and sadness, which is hard to do in a romance novel like this one. She somehow made the words you see on the page come alive and made me fall in love with the characters, plot and setting. I quickly became interested in all of the stories that made the characters who they are, including their past and current struggles.
I like how an author can make the reader feel emotions like you mentioned above. It is great how the author can make the readers fall in love with the characters and the story. Rose only wanted a one night stand, but she may find much more as she gets to know Jack.

topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by topdan30 » 07 Sep 2018, 10:01

Thanks for the great review. The book will be worth a read.

melissy370
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: The rise of Esther, by Paul Taylor
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 » 07 Sep 2018, 14:19

This not a book I would be interested in. I enjoyed your review though. Thanks.

Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe » 14 Sep 2018, 05:29

Sounds like a very interesting series. I love music and a musician character is very captivating.

stacie k
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading: River Kids
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: Back to Bible Basics; Forward in Faith, Hope and Love by Desmond B Hills

Post by stacie k » 08 Oct 2018, 17:51

The fact that you didn't want the story to end speaks well for the book. I'm not sure books of this genre interest me very much at this point in my life. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it, though.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Sarah G
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: The World of Ato by Patrick Borosky
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G » 09 Oct 2018, 01:31

Glad you enjoyed the book and great review. Not sure I'd be able to push through the grammar mistakes as well as you but if these were addressed count me in!
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon

ParadoxicalWoman
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Currently Reading: Across the Street and around the world
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paradoxicalwoman.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by ParadoxicalWoman » 09 Oct 2018, 02:26

I really enjoyed reading your review and was thinking of having this book to my tbr list until you mention the grammatical errors. I am at the stage of polishing my grammar; I don't think I can risk reading this book and other books with grammatical errors. Thank you for your honest review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Debjani Ghosh
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh » 09 Oct 2018, 08:03

Despite being her debut novel, the author seems to have knit an engaging story. Pity that there were grammatical errors. Thanks for the honest review!

Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 112
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: It's Hard to Be a Vampire
Bookshelf Size: 457
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 16 Oct 2018, 03:28

I'm sorry, I have never read a book by this author, but your review makes it so compelling to do so. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom » 09 Nov 2018, 12:27

Sounds like a great book (other than the errors), and a great review :tiphat: !

It is always noteworthy when it is the author's first novel like you said. With some editing they would have got the best rating, so great first effort!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”