Review of Doctor Connie Smythe

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of Doctor Connie Smythe

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Doctor Connie Smythe" by Robert Horton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

At the tender age of ten, when Terry Thompson realized that Julie-Anne was serious about marrying him, he tried by all means to avoid her. He tried dating Jill instead, but to no avail; Jill loved Jack. When Terry got to college, he lied about his school information so Julie-Anne wouldn’t get wind of it and come looking for him, which she did, albeit unsuccessfully. A twist would occur years later when Terry realizes he has fallen for Julie. They eventually get married, but she is diagnosed with cancer four years later while pregnant with their daughter Tiffany. Julie-Anne decides to carry the baby to term. Sadly, she dies during childbirth, but the child survives. Years after this tragedy, Terry finds himself in another pickle—he is falling in love with Dr. Connie, the physician who pronounced his wife’s time of death. What circumstances led up to this point, and what does the future hold for Terry and Connie?

Doctor Connie Smythe by Robert Horton was a thrilling journey through an intense and creatively depicted world. The author included Christian elements in this book set against a vibrant backdrop of our modern culture. The story was vivid, leaving nothing to the imagination. Through the character’s circumstances, the author explored the themes of love, betrayal, jealousy, loyalty, adventure, and suspense.

I was amazed at Horton’s ability to create characters, each as unique and remarkable as the next. Characters like Terry, Julie-Anne, Jill, Jack, Connie, Brian Heinz, Ambrosia, Tiffany, and Stephanie had intriguing traits and distinctive backgrounds that left a lasting impression in my mind. This is why I understood, for instance, Connie’s actions towards Terry. I appreciated the unpredictability of the plot. Whenever it seemed as if Terry’s circumstances were about to be resolved, new cases and situations spoiled everything. I had a lot of sympathy for Terry. He went from running from Julie to marrying her, gaining a daughter at the expense of Julie’s life, finding love again, losing a friend, and attempting to track down his friend’s killer. This was a robust story in all.

I must admit that the number of characters in the story was a bit much. There was also the fact that some names were used for multiple characters or were similar to other character names. For instance, Connie and Connor feel similar, and there are three characters named Brian and two named Tara. There were also some repetitions, especially in character dialogue, that were unnecessary, in my opinion. In several instances, after relaying a piece of information to a character, another character would enter the scene and be given the same information in exactly the same way.

Also, this novel sadly wasn’t professionally edited; I found many grammatical and typographical errors. Owing to the repetitions, the characters’ similar names, and the lack of professional editing, I rate this book 3 out of 5 stars. I recommend it to lovers of romance and adventure stories who don’t mind a bit of grief and sorrow mixed in.

Doctor Connie Smythe
View: on Bookshelves
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Wow! What kind of fate is this? I think this is the kind of storyline I’d love to uncover. Thanks for the amazing review.
Edwardsjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edwardsjay.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edwardsjay »

This is going to be an interesting book and will be added to my shelf soon. Nice review.
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

I’m in love with this twist in the book and can’t wait to read more about Terry. I enjoyed reading this review m, well done.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”