Review of Looking Glass Friends

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashlee McUne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashlee-mcune.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Review of Looking Glass Friends

Post by Ashlee McUne »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Looking Glass Friends" by E L Neve.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book, Looking Glass Friends by E.L. Neve is a phenomenal romantic story that follows multiple couples through trials, heartbreak, love, and hatred. The first couple is Neil and Fay, who have been married for about 5 years but who’s relationship seems to be falling apart. The second couple is Ellie and Jake with their young son, Johnny. These relationships are beautifully intertwined and allows for the couple’s relationships to struggle, but their individual strengths to flourish.
Throughout this whole book, every metaphor and every simile is tied together at some point in the novel. This makes you want to pay attention to every detail as you continue to turn the pages. Along with that, this book connects you with all of the characters and creates emotions in the reader that keep you invested in their lives. Another positive aspect in this book is all the ties to other literary pieces. Many other books and poems are referenced in the letters written between Neil and Ellie. It also does an incredible job at keeping a romantic tension between the characters throughout the entire novel.
If you are a reader who enjoys a quicker pace book, whether with the romantic aspect or with action, this book is a little slower. It focuses a lot on the emotional connection between the characters rather than a quick relationship that accelerates very rapidly. This can be seen as both a positive or a negative aspect; here it is placed in the negative portion as I am someone who relates better to quickly accelerating relationships.
I give Looking Glass Friends a rating of 4 out of 4. It is a beautifully written book that keeps you very involved and entertained. It was a little outside my comfort zone as a emotional-based romance novel, rather than a physically based romance novel, but it still piqued my interest with every chapter.
I would recommend that this novel is read by no one younger than 14. It does have some mention of sexual conduct as well as some vulgar language. It also has a lot of Latin and larger words that younger children or teenagers would have a difficult time understanding. I also would recommend this to those who enjoy being invested with the characters within the novel.

Looking Glass Friends
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”