Review of Basque

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Review of Basque

Post by José Cortez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Basque" by HJ Furl.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Basque: Love Stories by HJ Furl is a series of well-written brief stories of the lives of different people and their predicaments. It follows the transformations in the behaviors of women and men over the years.

The story tells us of different young people who find love and direction in life. They strive to have a place in this world by nook or hook. It tells us about odd encounters with people who eventually become their lovers.

Basque: Love Stories by HJ Furl contains twenty-one short stories of love in different ways. The author’s characters are slightly disturbed. Their lives are small, frantic, and miserable, yet they still hope for a better life, although COVID-19 has altered their lives. The writer gives the readers a view of hope in their lives and relentless effort to make their lives better.

I understood and related to the characters and liked that the book was hopeful. I liked the quality of the book; the characters’ proud existence was relentless. I liked that the characters felt real, and they drew you into their very complicated life. I also liked that the author used different jobs for the characters, such as dentists, receptionists, clerks, and personal trainers. The author gives the readers a glimpse of the characters’ lives and experiences and how they see the world. She also pulled the characters from the middle class, lower class, and even the upper class. Certainly, HJ Furl did an outstanding job with characterization.

I also liked that the author didn't limit herself to one particular setting. She used a wide range of locations and cities. Some are set in Scotland, some in the countryside, yet they still carry a widespread aura and look. Surely, she did a decent job with the book’s setting.

However, I didn't understand the book from the outset. I did not like that the stories were hurried. Like when a character was reminiscing, I didn't know till he went back to the present, and the characters tended to fall in love without getting to know the person, which was quite illogical. I found some errors in the book. However, it was professionally edited. There was no form of profanity in the book.

The negative aspect influenced my satisfaction with it, so I rate this book three out of four stars. I did not remove any other stars because the book was a nice read and was edited professionally.

I recommend this book to adults. It contains a lot of information that can be useful to them. I also recommend it to lovers of short fictional love stories.

Basque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Onyinyechi Orji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-orji.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by Onyinyechi Orji »

The book has a good storyline but I will just have to skip it for the time being. I hope to get back to the no as soon as possible. Nice review.
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

I love short fictions. I'm a sucker for romance and I know that I would greatly enjoy reading the book. Nicely written review.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

I always enjoy short fiction, especially in the form of a collection. Each story is so refreshing.
it is what it is ....
Tony Ondima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tony Ondima »

I think the book is great for people like us who have a sense of emotions and love for romantic stories,,for me its a good one
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Ten Percent by D.L. Bruin

Post by Kendal Low »

I'm not a big fan of short story collections as I would much rather prefer to read a more developed and carried-out story. I think I'll have to give this one a skip. Great review though!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”