Review of Secrets in the Palazzo

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of Secrets in the Palazzo

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Secrets in the Palazzo" by Kathleen Reid.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Secrets in the Palazzo by Kathleen Reid, the old rivalry between the great Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci was brought to the fore. History had it that the two artists were commissioned to paint battle scenes that glorified the Florentine Republic. Leonardo painted the Battle of Anghiari and Michelangelo's half-finished Battle of Cascina. Centuries later, painter Rose Maning discovered three paintings in her apartment, restored by her friend, Beatrice Von Der Layman, a conservator with the Vatican. Beatrice came up with the theory that the paintings contained clues to a lost Leonardo da Vinci painting. Together, Beatrice, her mentor, Cardinal Baglioni, and Rose set out to find the missing piece even as the two women navigated their peculiar love lives. There were oppositions against their treasure hunt, but one thing was clear: the renowned artist, Giorgio Vasari, shined the light on their path.

The book was an exciting foray into the world of art. It was indeed a treasure hunt, and the treasure was art. The journey was thrilling and invigorating as I followed the clues that could lead to the sought treasure piece by piece. There were insightful historical details cited in this book, especially the reign of Fra Girolamo Savonarola over the Medici dynasty, the establishment of the Florentine Republic, and the Great Council. The book was a tour guide for readers. The author provided historical insights into the lives of two of the greatest artists to walk the face of the earth — Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo — and the rivalry between them. The book further incorporated myths and legends, which bits of them were introduced with the painting of the Odyssey and Hercules by one of the characters.

It was interesting to see how the author allowed readers to feel each character. The character backgrounds were not robust, but the characters had enough identity to connect with readers. All the characters played a role in bringing the story together, which was nice to see because the usual storyline would have simply followed one protagonist. However, the author introduced other characters who played integral roles in the story.

There was a bit of light-hearted humor towards the end of the book. The book was an enlightening piece because the author presented art as an aesthetic tool and a tool for social and political engineering. One of the most profound elements the story showcased was the symbolism of the 'Table' mirrored from the painting of the 'Last Supper' by Leonardo da Vinci. It was such a powerful representation of the exercise of power and decision-making process in political parlance, the religious sphere, and any other sphere. The story presented the impact of an alliance between science and art to readers.

Overall, the book was a good read, and It was well edited. The romance part of the book was not striking, and the story wasn't overly stimulating with action. The story was simply 'interesting' and enjoyable in its entirety. This book would be loved by art and history enthusiasts. I rate Secrets in the Palazzo four out of four stars.

Secrets in the Palazzo
View: on Bookshelves
Kapasa Nelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kapasa Nelson »

It's really a good book which shows impact of am alliance between science and art
Sopulu Ezidimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sopulu Ezidimma »

I love art, I love treasures, l love adventure. What more can I say, thank you for your review.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

I've gained a huge appreciation for art over the last several years and have always been captured with certain individuals and time periods in history. This book sounds very interesting. Thanks for your review!
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Elenimo Chembe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenimo-chembe.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Elenimo Chembe »

Art and history are my favourite subjects. The marrying of the two in this book gets me excited. Thanks for the review.
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

I do not know much about art but I do love some history and would like to see the two merge in this book. Thanks for the review
Safina Nakayiza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-safina-nakayiza.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Safina Nakayiza »

I'm only beginning to really love and appreciate different forms of art on a deeper level. I see myself enjoying this book. Wonderful review!
Firefox7
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Firefox7 »

I love the book generally. Stories involving solving history are very interesting, especially this one in particular which involves art.
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

I love the book cover, its colourful illustration is so appealing. Great review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”