Official Review: Restless Spirits by Kathy Bryson

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing a single book or single series in each topic thread. Please set the title of the topic thread as the name of the book or series, and preferably include also the author's name if it fits. If you want to discuss a book in its entirety, i.e. you don't mind spoilers, please also include the word spoilers in the subject to warn users who may not want to read spoilers. If a thread does not have a clear spoiler warning, then it is against the forum rules to post spoilers in it. If you are an author or publisher, you may not start a topic about your own book; instead please click here to learn how to get your book or ebook reviewed.
Lilapo9
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Official Review: Restless Spirits by Kathy Bryson

Post by Lilapo9 » 20 Oct 2014, 16:24

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Restless Spirits" by Kathy Bryson.]
Book Cover for 2182
Share This Review

Imagine your life tumbling out of control. You work for a bank and their newest client invites you to her home. You step out for a cigarette and an ash you flick burns her house down. Shortly afterward, you think you are taking your mother to a doctor and find she has arranged an impromptu job interview for a bed and breakfast only she doesn’t tell you that part. You think you are being interviewed to paint and you feel angry and resentful. So the job interview goes incredibly bad, you become angrier, and when you try to leave you run over your potential new employer. Thus begins Marilee’s snapshot of life in this romantic science fiction story of Restless Spirits by Kathy Bryson published by Soul Mate Publishing.

Believe it or not Marilee gets the job running the bed and breakfast. Along with the job she also learns that her mother has quit her job and needs Marilee to get the job so she has a place to stay. Marilee learns that her new boss John is an instructor at the college and has purchased the buildings and property as an investment once a planned road is built through the area.

As the renovations continue to get the bed and breakfast ready for clients, Marilee learns how to work with difficult people and the strange things that keep occurring like faucets turning on, flickering lights, and baseballs that move in and out of the house. Marilee learns that there is a history attached to this place. In its early life the building was once a hospital. Once penicillin was discovered this removed the need for the hospital itself so its owners took in the disabled, insane, and those needing convalescent care while healing from tuberculosis. Once the renovations were completed the old farming equipment from the barn is removed to get it ready for conversion into a dormer for the area’s college students. Then things really get weird.

Marilee and John definitely get off to a wrong start in this story but as they work more closely together the bond between them grows. In fact the entire little group from the cook, who looks like Elvis, to the handymen will become a family unit. Marilee learns that the people she thought she knew will prove to be different. Will this bond between Marilee and John be strong enough to save them from a king? What does Shakespeare’s play “The Tempest” have to do with all of this?

I really like that this story takes you on a journey and is written in such a way that you can connect with the main character Marilee. I like the author’s ability to describe the environment. Even when describing parts of a world unknown, one can see what the main character does and feels as she struggles through each ordeal. I also discovered a few grammatical errors. I give this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Buy "Restless Spirits" on Amazon
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee

Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian » 20 Nov 2014, 23:11

Sounds good! Just the right amount of creepy... but not too creepy! It sounds like there must be some comedy mixed in there as well.. with a cook looking like Elvis! haha. And I like that there are some ties in with a play by Shakespeare. That could definitely be interesting.
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”