Review of First Love

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ruth Frances A
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of First Love

Post by Ruth Frances A »

[Following is a volunteer review of "First Love" by Momi Robins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Generally speaking, the web of life is quite complicated. It is of mingled yarn. Nothing seems certain except change. First Love, by Momi Robins gives me an inkling of these ideas. It depicts the good, bad, and spiritual.

This is the first of a four book series called The Love of a Good Woman. It features a lovely middle-aged Christian woman named Paige. The story continues with Paige stuck in a traffic jam. She is from a beauty saloon and has just frozen fat cells from her thighs. Why bother with this, really? Then again, some may not exactly feel happy with their bodies, memories or thoughts, just like the cellulite on her thighs. Vanity perhaps? With time to spare, Paige decides to critique and reminisce over her life journey.

What was her life growing up as a young girl in the small town of O’ahu in Hawaii like, normal? Like her grandfather’s teachings and the cross from him through her mother? What about the constant bickering and domestic violence? The oblivion to their widespread impact? Given the perceived bitterness in her parent’s relationship, she wonders if marriage is overrated. How then did she get entangled in a love triangle? Her mother teaches her to keep a journal and leave everything in the hands of God. Why? Paige complies for a while, turning to God and His will. The book of Psalms is her refuge. One day, though, an overwhelmed Paige is provoked by an unusually violent scene between her parents. Is this the turning point in her life? Despite the friendship and loyalty of her best friends JJ and Lance, Paige, in a trancelike state, makes a fatal decision, possibly a mistake. Feeling broken and beyond repair, she loses her faith in God. Who is to blame? Could it be Destiny, the Universe or herself? She struggles with forgiveness and understanding. Will she see her mother at last as the first home she has ever had? Will her relationships improve? Who is her first love? Will she turn to God at her darkest hour? The story moves between the past and the present.

I like this relatable story, with undertones of honest and genuine characters. The pace resonates with a journey, as though Momi understands what Paige is going through. Believable and captivating, this is an intriguing, emotion provoking read. It is a romance thriller, and coming of age book. From a dark and conflicted place, Paige grapples with life. So much sorrow, poor decision-making and despair. Loss of hope and self-esteem. Death. Who is Jason? Will she get her second chance? Can one get up after a fall? Read on and find out.

I found nothing wrong with the book. Yes, there were a lot of convenient happenings towards the end. Everything fell into place rather easily, and I don’t know if that happens often. Her strength of character and resilience is demonstrated by the battle to clear her husband’s name. I wondered about the need for more in depth information. What happened to Isabel and Paige’s sister? Based on the theme, perhaps this was not necessary. There were some profanities and violence. I believe this was part of the story and made it believable. After all, we are all human beings and encounter such occasionally. Because it was a great easy interesting read, and professionally edited, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend the book to those who delight in the romance genre, Christian memoirs and family relationships. It is an interesting book for human right’s advocates and women activists. Great for researchers and psychologists. If you want to enjoy a simple, regular book with life lessons, grab this one. Good for young adults. It captures the dilemma most teenagers face. A package deal.

First Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Oreoluwa281
Currently Reading: David's Sling
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oreoluwa281.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by Oreoluwa281 »

The storyline is quite fascinating. Excellent review.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Your review has piqued my interest. I'd like to read this Christian memoir and learn lessons from it. Great job.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

I think it is an emotionally heavy book. Paige's journey sounds so full of pain. I feel that it is a good book, but I might not be able to handle it mentally. Good work with the review though!
Gifty_biblophile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-biblophile.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Gifty_biblophile »

Well I delight in Christain memoir and romance genre. Definitely would love to read this, nice review.
honeybear_11001
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybear-11001.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by honeybear_11001 »

Love the title and the cover. Seems like a delightful read. Thanks for the wonderful summary and review. Can't wait to read it.
Sanju Lali
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

I liked your irony that life is complicated like a bundle of mingled yarn. Thanks for giving good insights about this book in your review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Oreoluwa281
Currently Reading: David's Sling
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oreoluwa281.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by Oreoluwa281 »

It great book with unique elements that makes it special and original. I think I would give it a try, nice review
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

This review got me. Can't wait to read this book for me. Thank you so much for this interesting review.
Ruth Frances A

Post by Ruth Frances A »

Thank you all for your comments. It really is a poignant book. I appreciate you all.
Judy_Akha
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-akha.html
Latest Review: The Dragon Who Would Be King by Anne Peters

Post by Judy_Akha »

Your review reminded my of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, which I read at the age of 12 and in my teens Jane's dignity and endurance guided me. I would love to read this book too. Thanks for your nice review.
Abu_Aisha1
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abu-aisha1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Abu_Aisha1 »

Keeping up with series is a bit difficult for me except it is standalone. That being said, I think the book is highly inspirational. Great review!
Ruth Frances A

Post by Ruth Frances A »

Judy_Akha wrote: 30 Apr 2022, 07:34 Your review reminded my of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, which I read at the age of 12 and in my teens Jane's dignity and endurance guided me. I would love to read this book too. Thanks for your nice review.
Yes, I love that you likened this to the story of Jane Eyre. The two are similar yet so different. However, both overcome their plight. Human beings seem to have a reservoir of strength that can be harnessed when one is willing to. Thank you for this apt comparison.
Ruth Frances A

Post by Ruth Frances A »

Abu_Aisha1 wrote: 02 May 2022, 07:38 Keeping up with series is a bit difficult for me except it is standalone. That being said, I think the book is highly inspirational. Great review!
That is sometimes true. This book is however standalone, I realize I should have mentioned it. I know that it can be difficult to follow a series unless you avail yourself of all of the series. I am glad that it is inspirational. Thank you very much for your comments.
Ruth Frances A

Post by Ruth Frances A »

khaulah wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 05:20 I think it is an emotionally heavy book. Paige's journey sounds so full of pain. I feel that it is a good book, but I might not be able to handle it mentally. Good work with the review though!
I get you. I do. When I read the book, I felt emotional and worried. However, I realized that I had to comprehend human nature and what drives many to behave the way they do. I have to conquer my fears and I am glad because the book has a happy ending. It guides us on many fronts. I used to watch movies with my daughter and she said they were painful to watch. We decided to read books then and recently she read this book and appreciated the lessons therein. Now we are both brave and meet challenges head-on. (we watch movies too but for different ones now) However, people are different, and reactions vary. I am grateful for your comment because it gives food for thought in a positive way.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”