Official Review: Ursula, Sisters of Prophecy Book 1

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: Ursula, Sisters of Prophecy Book 1

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ursula, Sisters of Prophecy Book 1" by Jude Pittman and Gail Roughton.]
Book Cover for 2448
Share This Review

Katherine Shipton knew her life was about to change as she prepared to marry Parker Drayton, heir to an international oil firm, but she never dreamed that it would change this much. As Ursula, the first book in the Sisters of Prophecy series by Jude Pittman and Gail Roughton opens, Parker is setting off to inspect oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico and Katherine is planning to occupy herself with wedding plans and maybe finally finishing that portrait she’s been working on. In a matter of hours, Katherine is doubting her own sanity, and Parker’s life may be in jeopardy.

There are really two stories happening in this book. One has a modern setting and involves Katherine, Parker, and the people close to them. The other is about Katherine’s mysterious ancestor, Ursula, and takes place during the reign of England’s Henry VIII. Guided by a talking portrait and assisted by her best friend, Katherine needs to alter history’s natural course - or Ursula faces tragedy and Katherine will never have been born. Even though she definitely feels like she’s been thrown into the deep end without knowing how to swim, it is imperative for Katherine to find a way to help Ursula and then return to solve the problems that face her in her own time.

For such a short book, there is a lot going on. There’s drama with Katherine’s newfound psychic abilities, drama with Katherine’s ex-fiancee who makes a sudden reappearance in her life, drama with the danger that Parker must face, and drama surrounding Katherine’s friend Sylvia, who has her own secrets. While this keeps the book very exciting, some readers may find it to be too scattered and lacking the more subtle development that can really separate the good from the great.

I think it is also worth noting that this book is clearly meant to be part of a larger series. I don’t know if readers should expect the same cast of characters to appear, but I wouldn’t eliminate the possibility, and that may help further develop characters that were introduced in this book. For readers with strong opinions, rest assured that there is a real ending to the book (not a cliffhanger), but you’ll need to read the book to find out if it’s happy or not.

I am rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. It was quick, but it was also exciting and interesting. I think many readers will find it enjoyable and a good read for a sunny afternoon or an evening indoors. It’s definitely a fast read, and it will entertain without eating away your entire day.

Buy "Ursula, Sisters of Prophecy Book 1" on Amazon
bookswelove
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bookswelove »

Thanks reviewer. Very perceptive review, and exactly right about this being the first in the series and setting up the characters for future Sisters. the next book in the series, Sisters of Prophecy, Irene, will indeed bring back many favorites, like Mother Shipton and Lillian, and as you suspected will be focused in the present time, but with some very timely assistance from her gifted ancestors and sisters in time. Be prepared for some comical century hopping experiences, which will lighten the drama and danger facing our next Shipton sister of prophecy, Irene. Jude
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

bookswelove wrote:Thanks reviewer. Very perceptive review, and exactly right about this being the first in the series and setting up the characters for future Sisters. the next book in the series, Sisters of Prophecy, Irene, will indeed bring back many favorites, like Mother Shipton and Lillian, and as you suspected will be focused in the present time, but with some very timely assistance from her gifted ancestors and sisters in time. Be prepared for some comical century hopping experiences, which will lighten the drama and danger facing our next Shipton sister of prophecy, Irene. Jude
Sounds like a fun book. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for that one.
ejcogan
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Favorite Book: Once Burned
Currently Reading: The Truth of all Flesh
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejcogan.html
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by ejcogan »

Thanks for the review. I have never been into traditional romances. This sounds ideal for me. I will add it to my ever growing list of must reads. Thank you.
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
Ravenscroft+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ravenscroft+ »

I usually stay away from the traditional romances also, but I think I'm going to add this one to my TBR. Thank you for the review. :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! Romance is not my favorite genre. Still, I will occasionally read a romance novel if it appears to be my cup of tea. I like that parts of this book are set during Henry VIII's reign. That's always been a fascinating historical period for me.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

Nice review. The book has an interesting storyline.
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
HalcyonFlower
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halcyonflower.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by HalcyonFlower »

Oh gosh, oil rigs...that subject alone seems to make this an interesting read! I like the infusion of supernatural in romance as it's my least liked genres. Thanks for taking up the novel and letting us know what to expect :)
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

This sounds like a book that will keep you engaged until the last page! Great review!
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Nice review! It sounds very exciting!
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
shelley_soetosenojo
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 21940">the fiery cross</a>
Currently Reading: A Taste of Seduction
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelley-soetosenojo.html
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Reading Device: B0716S5G56
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by shelley_soetosenojo »

Thanks for the well written review. Really my kind of book! Looking forward to when the series is complete to read it in one haul!
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Seems like the book has an interesting plot. Thanks for the review :)
NicciH
Currently Reading: Blood Laws
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niccih.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by NicciH »

The book summary doesn't sound all that wow, but after reading the review this book will definitely be going into my want to read shelf
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Like the premise but not sure about setting it in time of Henry VIII, given the gruesome nature of the beheading of his various wives. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Sophie11
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophie11.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Sophie11 »

I have been reading too many stories of this nature, thank you for your honest review it gives the heads up on what to expect in the book. Still undecided on whether it will be on my reading pile

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”