Immortals After Dark & The Dacians Series by Kresley Cole

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Immortals After Dark & The Dacians Series by Kresley Cole

Post by SharisseEM »

Has anyone read it? It's one of my top three favourite series' right now. The characters are downright hilarious with their wittiness especially Regin and Nix. The main characters are Loreans and belong to different factions such as Valkyries, Lykae, Vampires, Witches, Sorceri and etcetera... Yeah, it's a whole world of the supernatural, awesomely crafted by Kresley Cole. Of course, when it comes to high-powered beings, there has to be a way to balance them which is where The Accession comes in. It occurs every five hundred years or so and is a way to keep the continuously growing population of Loreans from getting too out of hand...by fighting and destroying each other. Also, the Loreans are not born immortal and are susceptible to death through disease or injury before they hit their immortality.

Currently, there are fifteen books in this series and the first one I read was 'Dreams of a Dark Warrior'. I literally cried reading the prologue. I loved all the books but with Lothaire, I was a little on the fence about Lothaire and Elizabeth's pairing. Their relationship seemed...a bit cruel at times and I don't mean Cadeon and Holly bullying but worse. Then again, that's just me. I read the extended excerpt for Dark Skye which is Thronos and Lanthe's story and from what I've read, I'm loving it.

One of my most favourite quotes from the series is from Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night:

"And exactly how old are you MacRieve ?"
"Twelve hundreds, give or take."
"Great Hekate, you're a relic. Don't you have a museum exhibit to be in somewhere ?"
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
CorkyReedWatt
Favorite Author: John Irving
Favorite Book: A Prayer for Owen Meany
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corkyreedwatt.html
fav_author_id: 2417
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Midlife Fairy Tales and Murder

Post by CorkyReedWatt »

Hello.

I have not read those, but thanks for the review! I think I would like to read this series. The series sounds like a lot of books to read, though. Do the books stand up pretty good if you just read one or two, or do you need to read them all?

Funny and romantic -- how can you go wrong? I look forward to reading at least one.

Corky
SharisseEM

Post by SharisseEM »

CorkyReedWatt wrote:Hello.

I have not read those, but thanks for the review! I think I would like to read this series. The series sounds like a lot of books to read, though. Do the books stand up pretty good if you just read one or two, or do you need to read them all?

Funny and romantic -- how can you go wrong? I look forward to reading at least one.

Corky
Yeah, it's a lot of books to read and plenty of recurring characters gearing up for something big at the finale of this whole series (whenever that is). There are a couple of books you can read without having to read them all. I mean I read Dreams of a Dark Warrior without reading the first few books.

You can also read 'The Warlord Wants Forever', 'A Hunger Like No Other', 'Deep Kiss of Winter', 'Pleasure of a Dark Prince' and 'Shadow's Claim' individually but each book really leads to another. The best intro to the series really has to be the very first story of the series and it's the very beginning of the bigger conflict. It's in the anthology 'Playing Easy To Get'. Hope that helps! :D
andern08
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andern08.html

Post by andern08 »

There are very few series that I look forward to reading and will finish in one day/night. I have read many series and eventually they start to loose steam, not true here. I find that sometimes there is a level of cruelty but when you look at the characters and the world they live in it seems that extreme is the nature of the beast, and this is how they respond to their world and environment, friend or foe. It is all out and intense.
SharisseEM

Post by SharisseEM »

andern08 wrote:There are very few series that I look forward to reading and will finish in one day/night. I have read many series and eventually they start to loose steam, not true here. I find that sometimes there is a level of cruelty but when you look at the characters and the world they live in it seems that extreme is the nature of the beast, and this is how they respond to their world and environment, friend or foe. It is all out and intense.
True, I agree with that. It's why I was only a little on the fence about it but this is also a romance and the hero is mistreating the heroine. That being said though, I still enjoyed Lothaire (it's hard not to enjoy a Kresley Cole book) and I fell in love with Ellie because she does not take his treatment of her just lying down and she fights him tooth and nail, giving as good as she gets. She's caught up in his quest for revenge that consumes him so strongly that he loses focus on the most important thing to a vampire: his Bride. And Ellie is perfect for Lothaire.
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Post by BookWorm07 »

I've been looking for an interesting fantasy novel with all sorts of supernatural creatures. This book seems exactly what I was searching. Thanks for the review. :)
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

I love this series. Sometimes the relationships can seem a bit brutal on either side, but it kind of makes sense considering it's immortals involved. Everything is extreme with them, including the relationship issues. Also, the women in the relationship usually give as much as they get so it's mostly equal in intensity and power. I haven't read the whole series yet, but I'm looking forward to reading all of them.

You don't have to read all of them, but the story sucks you in and makes you want to see what happened with other characters. The writer is quite a genius in that way.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

I haven't read the series yet, but am looking for something new, this just may be my next series to look into. Thanks for the review!
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
Mother
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 07">Goblin Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Passing Bells
Bookshelf Size: 5
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Mother »

I am a HUGE fan of the IAD and Dacians series! Since spring of this year, the ebooks have also been on sale for $1.99 (2 different books a month; currently, they're up to Lothaire and Shadow's Claim as the books on sale). Seems like a huge marketing push toward the next Kresley book coming out toward the end of the year. I'm really stoked about it, but can't wait until she writes Nix's story (if she ever does). Lothaire was my favorite so far, because it was the funniest. And, yup, the books are incredibly hot and the dialogue is hilarious. Honestly, I can't get enough of Kresley's paranormal romances. It might be an addiction!
SharisseEM

Post by SharisseEM »

Mother wrote:I am a HUGE fan of the IAD and Dacians series! Since spring of this year, the ebooks have also been on sale for $1.99 (2 different books a month; currently, they're up to Lothaire and Shadow's Claim as the books on sale). Seems like a huge marketing push toward the next Kresley book coming out toward the end of the year. I'm really stoked about it, but can't wait until she writes Nix's story (if she ever does). Lothaire was my favorite so far, because it was the funniest. And, yup, the books are incredibly hot and the dialogue is hilarious. Honestly, I can't get enough of Kresley's paranormal romances. It might be an addiction!
The IAD series has been revamped with new covers! Ugh, I can't wait for Nix's story either and Kresley says it will be the last book.
tat4
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tat4.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by tat4 »

Nix's will be the last book?curious who will Kresley pair with Nix.:)
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Jdurand2
Favorite Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 9434">Born of Night (The League Series Book 1)</a>
Currently Reading: The Dark Queen (The Dark Queens Book 5)
Bookshelf Size: 1369
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdurand2.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 3137

Post by Jdurand2 »

I have read this series and I agree that it is really good. The author does a fantastic job on all the books and really gives the reader a lot of great insight on the characters personalities. Many of the characters show up in other books instead of just fading into the background like many others. Another reason I like this series is because many of the female roles have kick-but, strong personalities and are not weak 'crying for my man to save' me types.
Jdford
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdford.html

Post by Jdford »

Kresley Cole manages to take you, as a reader, to 42 new dimensions with her levels of demons, fairies, weres and witches (love the crazy witches) with just the right amount of smut, sarcasm and sass! Love all her work!
Mother
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 07">Goblin Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Passing Bells
Bookshelf Size: 5
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Mother »

I can't imagine who she would pair with Nix. "Sweet Ruin" certainly was interesting. I went crazy trying to pick out all the Easter eggs in it...
www.inwhichmother.com ~ the many misadventures of one working mom
mary leeann

Post by mary leeann »

I have been reading the immortals after dark series and have fallen completely in love. Sweet ruin is one of my new favorites from the series. Kresley knows how to make strong characters, I absolutely love her.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”