Psy/Changeling books by Nalini Singh discussion ~spoilers~

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Psy/Changeling books by Nalini Singh discussion ~spoilers~

Post by Gravy »

My favorite book in this series is Caressed By Ice.
Judd is also my favorite male in this series.
I'd love to hear what other people think of this wonderful series?

-- 05 Sep 2014, 21:58 --

This series, for the unitiated, is about the Psy and Changelings.
Set in the future there are three "human" races.
Humans, unchanged from now, and virtually unimportant for this series.
The Psy, longer living than humans, physically weaker but possessing superior psychic skills. These skills are graded and wide ranging. The top most gradient being cardinal.

Changelings, human and animal in one, with all that brings.

The over-arching storyline is Silence.
To save their race the Psy instituted Silence. Their race was plagued by an unbelievable amount of psychosis. Far too many killers were born of the Psy.
The cure, they thought, was to take away their emotions. They conditioned their children not to feel.
And any member of their race that wasn't silent?
They were "rehabilitated", the very person they were erased.

The Psy see humans, and changelings, as weak, feeling, races.

The changelings veiw the Psy as cold, calculating, psychopaths.

This is an excellent series.
Each book follows as a new couple is formed. Alot of them between a Psy and a changeling. This series is going strong.
Some books aren't as great as others, but all progress the main storyline.
As with almost any romance series, it has it's clichés, overuse of certain words in certain situations. Overall though, I've found it to be one of the more original series out there.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
c2clark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c2clark.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by c2clark »

I'm kind of heartbroken that no one has responded to this post!

Nalini Singh is by far one of my favorite authors, although it's the Guild Hunter series that originally caught my attention; the Psy/Changeling books have become one of my go to series when I am looking to read something smooth. She does an amazing job of creating a new world and painting a perfect picture of the characters and their interactions. For example; the changelings are very close to their animals so I can only imagine how much studying she had to do on Leopards and Wolves to create a pack and have them fully interact based on their instincts. I will forever recommend her to anyone that is looking to get into sci-fi / romance novels.

The only thing I would make sure to say when recommending this series to someone is; make sure to read them in order, there are spin off that don't necessarily need to be read, in the end though, if you take the time to read them as well it makes the experience of their world more involved.
lv lewis
Currently Reading: The Fate of the Tearling
Bookshelf Size: 221
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by lv lewis »

Nalini Singh is brilliant. I'll need to begin reading this series ASAP!
c2clark
Currently Reading:

Post by c2clark »

lv lewis wrote:Nalini Singh is brilliant. I'll need to begin reading this series ASAP!
She really is; which books have you read of hers? Is there one that you liked more than the others?
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Glad to find some fellow fans :)

c2clark
Currently Reading:

Post by c2clark »

Gravy wrote:Glad to find some fellow fans :)
I know! I honestly didn't think that I would ever get the chance to discuss her books with anyone! I found her book when I was traveling in Ireland (I have this nasty habit of needing to visit a bookstore anywhere I go, horrible habit, I know ?) but I have been trying to get my friends and family to read her books; I did get one friend to attempt to read it (Angels Bloos) but she said it was too slow.

You said your favorite was Caressed by Ice; how come you chose this one as your favorite? And Judd as your favorite character? He is a really good and complicated character and I'm glad she started adding him into the series more and more but I can't say that he is my favorite.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

c2clark wrote:
I know! I honestly didn't think that I would ever get the chance to discuss her books with anyone! I found her book when I was traveling in Ireland (I have this nasty habit of needing to visit a bookstore anywhere I go, horrible habit, I know ?) but I have been trying to get my friends and family to read her books; I did get one friend to attempt to read it (Angels Bloos) but she said it was too slow.

You said your favorite was Caressed by Ice; how come you chose this one as your favorite? And Judd as your favorite character? He is a really good and complicated character and I'm glad she started adding him into the series more and more but I can't say that he is my favorite.
I love the way she writes almost all of her men, but there's just something about Judd. I'm not sure I could explain it. There's not just one reason (is there ever?).
It's everything. The way they survived, that he didn't think he would but did it anyway. His strengths and weaknesses, and how he handles both. I suppose he just kind of hits everything for me, as a character :lol:
And it doesn't hurt that he's as protective as any shifter :shhh:

She writes just the right kinds of alpha males 8)

c2clark
Currently Reading:

Post by c2clark »

Gravy wrote:
c2clark wrote:

I love the way she writes almost all of her men, but there's just something about Judd. I'm not sure I could explain it. There's not just one reason (is there ever?).
It's everything. The way they survived, that he didn't think he would but did it anyway. His strengths and weaknesses, and how he handles both. I suppose he just kind of hits everything for me, as a character :lol:
And it doesn't hurt that he's as protective as any shifter :shhh:

She writes just the right kinds of alpha males 8)
I agree, Judd has so many different levels to his character and yes, is very protective. I think it's funny that he ended up with someone like Brenna but also good that he did.

And yes, she writes the perfect alpha males! It was fun to read about how the more dominant females would react to the mating dance and how tricky the men had to be to win them though!

I think my favorite book of all; would have to be Mine to Posses although it doesn't have a lot of the main story in it, I absolutely love Clay and Talin's story and their history; although, Heart of Obsidian is a close second.
Savingmommy87
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savingmommy87.html

Post by Savingmommy87 »

I'd have to say Kiss of Snow was my favorite so far. Watching Hawke and Sienna dance around each other in previous books made me anxious for their story to hurry up and be told. There's something about that brooding Alpha, mmm. But the entire series is well worth reading.
c2clark
Currently Reading:

Post by c2clark »

Has anyone read the newest Psy/Changeling book, Silver Silence?

I personally loved it! But I thought that Nikolaev was lacking a little bit in the Alpha department. It could have been just because of the circumstances surrounding his becoming Alpha, but he seemed pretty tame compared to the other Alphas that we were introduced to.
Musae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musae.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Musae »

I have been eyeing this series but not sure if I wanted to read it
Thank you for helping me decide to give it a chance
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

c2clark wrote: 18 Dec 2017, 15:31 Has anyone read the newest Psy/Changeling book, Silver Silence?

I personally loved it! But I thought that Nikolaev was lacking a little bit in the Alpha department. It could have been just because of the circumstances surrounding his becoming Alpha, but he seemed pretty tame compared to the other Alphas that we were introduced to.
Read it and enjoyed it (love the migration to a new place/new pack), but I get what you're talking about. There was some dynamic that felt a little too different. I'm hoping to see more of the bears. I'm hoping it was more about the change and the newness, and look forward to really exploring the new territory.

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Musae wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 02:57 I have been eyeing this series but not sure if I wanted to read it
Thank you for helping me decide to give it a chance
That's awesome!
I don't think you'll be disappointed, but I am a bit biased. :shhh: :lol:

c2clark
Currently Reading:

Post by c2clark »

Gravy wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 07:52
c2clark wrote: 18 Dec 2017, 15:31 Has anyone read the newest Psy/Changeling book, Silver Silence?

Read it and enjoyed it (love the migration to a new place/new pack), but I get what you're talking about. There was some dynamic that felt a little too different. I'm hoping to see more of the bears. I'm hoping it was more about the change and the newness, and look forward to really exploring the new territory.
That's a good way to describe it. I am wondering how she is going to integrate the amount of people she has introduced, into each book. My fear was that we were going to miss some of the story when she switched it up, but so far she is doing a good job of keeping everyone in there. I love the round robin style she is using but either the books are going to get really big or she is going to start dropping characters in each book.

I'm voting for the first option... I would rather a big book than feel like I am missing information.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

c2clark wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 14:50
Gravy wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 07:52

That's a good way to describe it. I am wondering how she is going to integrate the amount of people she has introduced, into each book. My fear was that we were going to miss some of the story when she switched it up, but so far she is doing a good job of keeping everyone in there. I love the round robin style she is using but either the books are going to get really big or she is going to start dropping characters in each book.

I'm voting for the first option... I would rather a big book than feel like I am missing information.
I agree, though I would hate to have to wait any longer for the books. :lol:

She does seem to have a talent for woking characters in in an organic way, even if it's just one chapter.
Hopefully that continues!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”