When Can You Forgive the Protagonist for Cheating?

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
fav_author_id: 4642

When Can You Forgive the Protagonist for Cheating?

Post by Brett Linette »

I read one story where the lead character cheated on her boyfriend because he was so perfect that he was boring. I found it hard to root for the lead character and the person she chose to cheat with, given her reason her cheating. Had the person she was cheating with been providing her with something her boyfriend had no right to deprive her of, such as love and affection, while I may not have agreed with her decision to cheat, I would've at least agreed that she deserved to be with someone else.

What do you guys think? How bad of a partner does the lead character's partner have to be for you to forgive (or even excuse) the lead character for cheating?
Samantha Brehm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-brehm.html
Latest Review: The Electric Oath by Aaron Cole Williams

Post by Samantha Brehm »

Personally, I will avoid books with cheating at all costs, and it completely ruins the book for me most of the time. I can completely see your point, though, that cheating purely because the lead thought her boyfriend was too boring would make it extremely hard to root for her. I could maybe, and that's a big maybe, excuse it while reading if it was a case of abuse or being treated extremely poorly.
Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

Samantha Brehm wrote: 09 Nov 2021, 23:21 Personally, I will avoid books with cheating at all costs, and it completely ruins the book for me most of the time. I can completely see your point, though, that cheating purely because the lead thought her boyfriend was too boring would make it extremely hard to root for her. I could maybe, and that's a big maybe, excuse it while reading if it was a case of abuse or being treated extremely poorly.
It's true that in the case of an abusive relationship, the protagonist may want to be with someone else but refrains from breaking up with their partner in fear of how they might react.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

Oh no... no, I won't forgive a protagonist for cheating. I know how it feels to be cheated. It's unacceptable and it's hurting. Cheating is infidelity. It only means that you don't strongly love him/her
Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

Bridgette C 2 wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 21:44 Oh no... no, I won't forgive a protagonist for cheating. I know how it feels to be cheated. It's unacceptable and it's hurting. Cheating is infidelity. It only means that you don't strongly love him/her
I'm sorry that happened to you; no one deserves to have that happen to them.

I used to think cheating was just due to a lack of self-control, but most people wouldn't cheat if it was going to kill them; the thing is that it doesn't kill them.
Brittany Slade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-slade.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Brittany Slade »

I love that I found this discussion!! When there’s cheating involved in a book, I lose interest immediately. My couple is either meant to be or I don’t want it. Cheating takes the allure away from the couple’s connection that I need to enjoy reading. I always have so much FOMO when I don’t continue a book when cheating happens. This group makes me feel better 😂
Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

Brittany Slade wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 21:49 I love that I found this discussion!! When there’s cheating involved in a book, I lose interest immediately. My couple is either meant to be or I don’t want it. Cheating takes the allure away from the couple’s connection that I need to enjoy reading. I always have so much FOMO when I don’t continue a book when cheating happens. This group makes me feel better 😂
Welcome to the discussion! It's a pleasure to have someone as enthusiastic as you've shown yourself to be.

Know that you're far from alone, when it comes to disliking infidelity in books. I agree that love is either right or not and that if two people have to cheat to be together, then they shouldn't be together.

I have trouble putting a book down once I've picked it up, too. No matter how much I lose interest in a book, I make a point to skim through the last few pages, just to know how it ends.
Brittany Slade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-slade.html

Post by Brittany Slade »

Yes same! I’m getting better though. I took some books back the library the other day after reading only halfway through 😂
Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

Brittany Slade wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 21:12 Yes same! I’m getting better though. I took some books back the library the other day after reading only halfway through 😂
I can't remember not liking the first half of a book, only to love the second half, so I think you're right to return the books after that point.
inChristalone247
Favorite Book: Midwinter Turns to Spring
Currently Reading: Beyond the Higher Ground
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inchristalone247.html
Latest Review: Midwinter Turns to Spring by Maria Veloso

Post by inChristalone247 »

I always disapprove of cheating. However, for the love of books, if the other half is actually abusive or rude and the cheating was a drunken mistake or such, I might actually condone it. In books only though, I don't stand for cheating in real life
Lola_Scotch
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lola-scotch.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Lola_Scotch »

Infidelity makes it difficult for me to like a character. If they had been a shining example or just a really likeable person all along, maybe they would have a better chance but overall, once I step away from my high chair, I realise this flaw or misstep, just goes to show that they're human. The character you describe sounds like a lot of people in real life. I believe it was unfair of her, and I would find it difficult to forgive her too.
Uddy123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Uddy123 »

Wow,I always thought that I was the only one who felt a certain way about infidelity, especially when a book where the main character cheats,and says he or she is still in love with their pattern,I feel like even if I was a writer,I won't be able to write on such topic,I guess I'm not that open minded after all
janeadika
Currently Reading: The Fort
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by janeadika »

It's unacceptable and it's hurting. Cheating is infidelity. It only means that you don't strongly love him/her, good review
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

In a romance book, cheating is a definite no-no for me. Part of the joy of romance books is the happy ever after and the soul mate connection. It’s hard to romanticize a soul mate cheating for any possible reason.
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

I don’t think anything would be a reason for cheating. This is an act of betrayal, lie and deception. I think the author should be careful, writing the main character as someone whom needs forgiven just because they are the main character isn’t smart. I believe we each judge the characters in merit not because they are casted as the main person in the story. What do you think?

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”