How Big of an Age Gap is Too Big of an Age Gap?

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
fav_author_id: 4642

How Big of an Age Gap is Too Big of an Age Gap?

Post by Brett Linette »

When reading a romance novel, while I prefer the characters to be in the same age range, as long as both parties are of age, I think an age gap between the two can add diversity to the relationship. I'm not opposed to an age gap, even if one of them is old enough to be the other's parent, but if their old enough to be the other's grandparent, that's where I draw the line, as I start to question what they could possibly have in common.

What do you guys think? How big of an age gap is too big of an age gap?
Radwa Abou Shousha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radwa-aboushousha.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Radwa Abou Shousha »

First, I agree with your view; Both parties have to be of age. I don’t mind a big age gap but as you said not someone old enough to be a grandparent. I would just say that the people involved shouldn’t be at different extremes of age.
Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

Radwa Aboushousha wrote: 07 Nov 2021, 11:46 First, I agree with your view; Both parties have to be of age. I don’t mind a big age gap but as you said not someone old enough to be a grandparent. I would just say that the people involved shouldn’t be at different extremes of age.
With age comes wisdom, and when one person is old enough to easily outsmart the other, that's when I find it hard to read, but if the older person shares their wisdom and the young person their new age knowledge, it becomes a relationship as meaningful as any other, and I'm all for it.
Kanika Tandon
Currently Reading: Of winners and losers
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanika-tandon.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Kanika Tandon »

I would say..10 years age gap is enough for me. 12 is my limit. I dont like reading books with bigger age gaps anyways.
Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

Kanika Tandon wrote: 12 Nov 2021, 22:00 I would say..10 years age gap is enough for me. 12 is my limit. I dont like reading books with bigger age gaps anyways.
I, too, prefer when the age gap is kept to a minimum.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

I don't mind age gap, really. But if the other is older like a grandparent, that's when it's not okay for me. Age gap ranging from 4 to 10 years can be acceptable but not more than that. I like it when there's age gap because it's hotter.
Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

Bridgette C 2 wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 21:51 I don't mind age gap, really. But if the other is older like a grandparent, that's when it's not okay for me. Age gap ranging from 4 to 10 years can be acceptable but not more than that. I like it when there's age gap because it's hotter.
I agree that an age gap can be appealing as long as it's not too wide of an age gap; there's a difference between dating someone older and dating someone old.
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

I definitely think around ten years or so works. I read a novel where it was a 20 year age gap and the male was a caretaker of the female until she got older and then attraction, etc. Was weird!!
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King
Faatimah Noormahomed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faatimah-noormahomed.html
Latest Review: Karrana by Anne Skyvington
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Faatimah Noormahomed »

I definitely don't mind age gaps in romance novels. I think it's just all about how the characters' respective maturity levels work together. If they have the same sort of mindset and goals in life, and the prospect of a relationship between them seems realistic to the reader, then I think it's fine. I definitely agree with you about drawing the line when the one is old enough to be the other's grandparent though. I've read some weird romances where the age gap between the main characters was just too big and their relationship just didn't seem plausible at all... so I guess it just depends on how it's written.
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

Both have to be consenting adults, starting at age 20(that's my take). The age gap thing isn't big of an issue for me if they're less than 8 years apart. Anything more than that is strange and makes me question what issues both parties have that are expressing themselves in form of their relationship and/or preferred partner. Don't know if this makes sense.
Mary Adkins 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Mary Adkins 1 »

It depends on a few things! Age is relative. An 18-year-old dating a 28-year-old seems icky, but a 30-year-old dating a 40-year-old seems a lot more reasonable. It also depends on the genre. If it's a normal, humans on earth romance, then age might matter. If it's high fantasy romance, then the 22-year-old dating the 500-year-old being doesn't seem that odd, because it's not real. I did see one TikToker joking that those huge fantasy age gaps are because that's when women think that men will finally have reached the emotional maturity they're looking for :lol2:
Reader_noc
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-noc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Reader_noc »

Personally, I don't have a problem with age gap especially when the guy is older. It all depends on he love, attraction and understanding between the couple.
Ashna Tibrewal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Ashna Tibrewal »

I cant read with an age gap of more than 5 years or a max of 7. It becomes too difficult to imagine after that.
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Ten Percent by D.L. Bruin

Post by Kendal Low »

For me its hard to fully enjoy a book when there's a character who is around 20/21 dating a character who is in their 30's or older. I just struggle to see what someone in their 30's could possibly want with someone so young. However, when they're both above 30 or so I don't necessarily have a problem with any age gap really.
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

I definitely agree that everyone involved has to be a consenting adult, but I can't say that I have a gap limit. For me, it really depends on the story and the characters.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”