Review of Phantom Siblings

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Review of Phantom Siblings

Post by Rayah Raouf »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Phantom Siblings" by Carolyn Taylor-Watts.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Phantom Siblings is a book written by Carolyn Taylor-Watts. It is an interesting fictional book with a bit of mystery. As the book is told in the first person, the focus is on one character.

The book is about Julian Whitely and his life. It starts with Julian and his wife on their thirtieth wedding anniversary. Pictures of their lives are on display, and he sees a picture of a girl he once knew. He loses himself for a moment which causes him to go down memory lane.

He thinks back to the time when he was in school. That is where he first saw and heard Lousie, the girl from the picture. He also remembers his mom and her obsession with her dead babies. Everywhere he goes, the memory of them is around. It seems that he is competing with them for his mom's love and attention. The real question is, will he get his moms attention? What will happen once he reminisces his time with Lousie? Is he going to regret the decisions he made in his life?

I liked it when the main character said he could see sounds. He could see Lousie's laugh, and he could see music when he pressed the piano keys. I thought that was beautiful. It adds to the point where the character has a musical gift. I also liked how the authors ended the book. I was not expecting anything drastic; however, I was left shocked but happy.

Unfortunately, the portrayal of teenage love took me off guard. I found it slightly odd at first, but I wish it was explained more in-depth. There were a few occasions I would have liked more description. I understand that the book is told from Julian's point of view. Therefore, this limits the information told to the reader.

Even though it was an enjoyable and short read, this took me a while to get through. Fortunately, the negative points are not drastic enough to give the book a low rating. Therefore, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book is professionally edited, as I hardly noticed any errors.

I would recommend Phantom Siblings to people who enjoy books that focus on family. This book would be suitable for younger readers. However, they should be mature enough to know the topic of dead siblings is mentioned. It might be emotional for readers who have lost a sibling. Also, there isn't anything explicit in terms of content or even language

Phantom Siblings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I an not sure this book is for me. I don't like the sound of a mother clinging to dead babies. Thanks for a lovely review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. This book sounds like it has an interesting twist from Julian's life. I know parents often struggle with the death of their children and withhold a part of themselves. It is interesting that Julian feels he is competing with dead babies. I am sure he is trying to break into an area of his mother' heart that she holds tightly to keep from getting more hurt. Although the book sounds interesting, I am not sure it is for me.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

Wow! This novel sounds very interesting. Julian's mom seems like she might actually need some therapy. Amazing review! :D
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Seeing sounds seems very interesting. It reminds me of "The Glass Bead Game" by Hermann Hesse :). I loved reading your intriguing review!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

You have me curious about what happened with Louise. Thanks for your wonderful review!
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

The plot might not be incredibly original, but I can see the execution was pretty good. You got me curious about the synaesthesia part! Thank you for the great review :)
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Niens Now wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 02:45 I an not sure this book is for me. I don't like the sound of a mother clinging to dead babies. Thanks for a lovely review.
Not to worry! Thank you for dropping by!
Miller56 wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 12:35 Thanks for the review. This book sounds like it has an interesting twist from Julian's life. I know parents often struggle with the death of their children and withhold a part of themselves. It is interesting that Julian feels he is competing with dead babies. I am sure he is trying to break into an area of his mother' heart that she holds tightly to keep from getting more hurt. Although the book sounds interesting, I am not sure it is for me.
Absolutely! That is exactly what drew me in. I am sure this happens in real life with real families. I was curious how Julian was going to deal with it.
Rashawn Carter wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 14:44 Wow! This novel sounds very interesting. Julian's mom seems like she might actually need some therapy. Amazing review! :D
Hahaha! Thats a given. I think a lot of characters from books need therapy. Thank you for dropping by!
Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 07:28 Seeing sounds seems very interesting. It reminds me of "The Glass Bead Game" by Hermann Hesse :). I loved reading your intriguing review!
Oh, I will check that out. Thank you :)
Prisallen wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 08:44 You have me curious about what happened with Louise. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Thank you for the comment :)
marba wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 05:23 The plot might not be incredibly original, but I can see the execution was pretty good. You got me curious about the synaesthesia part! Thank you for the great review :)
I actually haven't read any books like this before, so I am curious about other authors take on this. Thank you!
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Your writing tone depicts that you enjoyed every aspect of this book and that's nice. I'd also love to read this interesting title. Thanks for an insightful review.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Wait! You mean he could see sounds? Isn't that interesting? This tale sounds intriguing. Thanks for the detailed review and recommendation.
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I don't think I would be reading this since the mom triggers me and would make me uncomfortable, I mean, an obsession on dead babies? Whaaaat??? This seems such an interesting story, but really not for me. Thank you for the detailed review.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 23:04 Your writing tone depicts that you enjoyed every aspect of this book and that's nice. I'd also love to read this interesting title. Thanks for an insightful review.
Thank you for the lovely comment. It is an interesting book indeed.
Saint Bruno wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 00:51 Wait! You mean he could see sounds? Isn't that interesting? This tale sounds intriguing. Thanks for the detailed review and recommendation.
I know right? I liked that part and wish there was more to it. Thank you.
Hyacinth Bella wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 00:30 I don't think I would be reading this since the mom triggers me and would make me uncomfortable, I mean, an obsession on dead babies? Whaaaat??? This seems such an interesting story, but really not for me. Thank you for the detailed review.
Not to worry! It is interesting but I can understand why it would turn people away. Thank you for the lovely comment.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

The title is very intriguing! Also, I liked what you wrote about the ending :) Would love to check this book out! Thank you very much for this amazing review :)
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Of course a mother who lost her babies will always think about them and grief might be part of her life. But surely a mother must not deprive the living kids of love, care, and attention. Thanks for the review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like a unique story, almost like one you might find on The Twilight Zone.
Thank you for your take on this read! :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”