Review of Crystal Lake Inn

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Review of Crystal Lake Inn

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Crystal Lake Inn" by Susan W. Green.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cassidy had her heart broken while dating a man when she was in college. He broke off their engagement a week before their wedding. Promising herself she would never be hurt like that again, she threw herself into her last semester of classes. After graduating, Cassidy bought the rundown Crystal Lake Inn at an auction. After renovating it and spending every spare minute to make it a success, the inn is currently a thriving business. Her personal attentiveness toward each guest also makes a huge impression on them.

Jack is an acclaimed author who desires a tranquil residence with a picturesque setting to get his creative juices flowing. His current book is overdue because he is suffering from writer’s block. He makes a reservation at Crystal Lake Inn for three weeks with the possibility of extending the time if it is needed. However, the day of his arrival happens to be one where things aren’t going as smoothly at the inn as they typically do. Several unforeseen problems and mix-ups get Jack and Cassidy off on the wrong foot. Will they be capable of putting aside their irritations and suspicions long enough to realize there is an attraction between them?

Crystal Lake Inn by Susan W. Green is a 219-page romance novel. I have read several books with dark themes lately and was looking forward to an interesting story that was light and, hopefully, would have humor inserted into the tale. I wasn’t disappointed. Written from the third-person perspective, the author’s dialogue and prose were believable and easy to follow. The misunderstandings in the tale added to the amusement. The job of operating an inn, with its numerous potential problems, was convincingly portrayed. In addition, the leading characters were nicely developed; one can sense the frustration, anger, and attraction between Cassidy and Jack. The story also shows the importance of friends and family that one can depend on.

Ms. Green’s writing is so descriptive that it is easy to picture the settings and people she is depicting. For example, “the lake, which was an amazing bluish green along the edges, but turned to a vivid lighter blue out towards the horizon.
. . . the shore climbed higher as it gradually worked its way up the mountain side. Along the mountain’s edges, gigantic rock formations created a barrier between the water and land.”

Regrettably, too many errors were encountered to award a perfect score. Another round of editing is encouraged to help the book achieve its potential. Consequently, Crystal Lake Inn receives a rating of three out of four stars. Because of the aforementioned reasons, I felt it was too good for two stars. I heartily recommend it to people who enjoy light, character-driven romance novels. If the reader doesn’t enjoy romance stories, then they should look elsewhere. For sensitive readers, I am delighted to announce that violence, profanity, and explicit sex were not encountered in the story.

Crystal Lake Inn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I don't blame Cassidy for being guarded after something like that. I wonder how Jack can make her believe in love again. Thank you for your lovely and detailed review! :D
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

A light read perfect for a chilly day like this one :). Thank you for your excellent recommendation!
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

Cassidy and Jack's story seems interesting. I hope I come across this book. Thanks for the informative review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Rashawn Carter wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 08:30 I don't blame Cassidy for being guarded after something like that. I wonder how Jack can make her believe in love again. Thank you for your lovely and detailed review! :D
You will need to read the book to find out. :lol: Thanks for reading my review and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 09:21 A light read perfect for a chilly day like this one :). Thank you for your excellent recommendation!
Yes, perfect for that, or a warm day at the beach, or a quick weekend read. :lol: Sometimes, you just need a book that will take your mind off things and leave you with good feelings. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Tarie07 wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 09:35 Cassidy and Jack's story seems interesting. I hope I come across this book. Thanks for the informative review.
I hope you get a chance to read it as well. I appreciate you taking the time to read my review!
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

I'm an avid lover of romance novels. And I thank you for such an great recommendation. I want to see how Jack and Cassidy will develop romantic feelings for each other. Lovely review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 11:22 I'm an avid lover of romance novels. And I thank you for such an great recommendation. I want to see how Jack and Cassidy will develop romantic feelings for each other. Lovely review!
Thank you so much for the kind words. Enjoy the book! :techie-studyingbrown:
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

Very nice review, it seems like the novel itself is similar to some romantic movies where two prospective characters avoiding each other due to first wrong impressions eventually end up together.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Apple 7 wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 20:11 Very nice review, it seems like the novel itself is similar to some romantic movies where two prospective characters avoiding each other due to first wrong impressions eventually end up together.
I can't tell you the ending because I don't want to provide a spoiler. You'll have to read it to see if you are right. :lol: Thanks for stopping by!
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I love a good romance from time to time. I think this might be up my alley. I too have read too many dark-themed books. Great review, you got me curious. The beginning of the book sounds a bit sad and I can understand why the character will devote her time being busy.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

RayRuff wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 13:26 I love a good romance from time to time. I think this might be up my alley. I too have read too many dark-themed books. Great review, you got me curious. The beginning of the book sounds a bit sad and I can understand why the character will devote her time being busy.
Yes, I agree. However, she loved buying and fixing up the inn, which helped to take her mind off of her lovelife. I hope you enjoy the book!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”