Review of My Big Greek Holiday

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of My Big Greek Holiday

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Big Greek Holiday" by Lisa Darcy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A vacation on a sunny island in Santorini changed the lives of three best friends, gave them a new purpose in life, and helped them find and rebuild romantic relationships. This change did not come on a silver platter. It was accompanied by complications, with some humor to douse the tension.

Alongside feeding us with comedy and romance, Lisa Darcy tackled critical societal issues in the book. Sensitive discussions were carried out among the best friends in the book. Discussions on marriage, childbirth, and career were commonplace. It also projected the feeling of finding same-sex love, which might offend a category of readers, and the fear of being old without a tangible achievement. It was a balanced book.

The most conspicuous and fascinating thing about the book is that it was written in the first-person point of view. I got to know everything going on in the principal character's head — her perception of other people, her moods, and so on. In the same vein, the thoughts in Claudia's head came in hilarious reported speeches. The mind-commentaries she passed at intervals gave me access into her head. An example was when she said, "If Jesus Christ himself made a pass at me, I was determined to say NO!"

It is one thing to see a movie and get the joke, and another thing to read about it and laugh out loud. My Big Greek Holiday painted images of the scenes clearly, and I was able to get the joke and laugh out loud. The writer coined her own descriptive words, and that makes the book very unique. Descriptions like 'rip-your-heart-out' cry, 'not-so-sure-I-can-catch-up-later' guy, 'go-on' looks, et cetera, would enthrall readers. I'm sure I'd add those to my description vocabulary going forward. The fact that I now know some basic Greek words is fascinating. It was educating to learn that "nai" in Greek means "yes" in English.

Romance books are usually predictable. However, Lisa makes sure that the reader keeps guessing and anticipating outcomes. She adds some twists to keep the suspense going. I'm sure she intended to leave a lasting effect of this book in the reader's heart. I doubt if anyone who reads this book will forget it in a hurry.

I do not have complaints about the book except for a few grammatical errors, mainly missing articles. My Big Greek Holiday is the vibe. I give it four out of four stars. I recommend the book to lovers of romance. Readers interested in love stories set in Greece will also find this book relishing. However, if you're averse to sensitive topics like same-sex relationships, I'll advise you to tread with caution.

My Big Greek Holiday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

Quite impressive to see what Lisa did in this book. It's difficult to add humor into books and she was skilled enough to do that. Thank you for your beautiful review and for the recommendations too.
Obioma CM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obioma-cm.html
Latest Review: Higher Ground by Sophia Edwards-Bennett MD PhD

Post by Obioma CM »

Great detailed review! As a lover of romance I think I will check this book out. Thank you.
Precious DA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-da.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Precious DA »

Chiwelite O wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 01:17 Quite impressive to see what Lisa did in this book. It's difficult to add humor into books and she was skilled enough to do that. Thank you for your beautiful review and for the recommendations too.
Exactly! I also like the fact that you can relate with the book. It's an amazing quality.
Gabriela Veiga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriela-veiga.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gabriela Veiga »

For me reading should be fun, sometimes books make you cry, sometimes they make you laugh. Either way, Lisa's book seems the last, so I'll definitely check it out.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

Gabriela Veiga wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 07:35 For me reading should be fun, sometimes books make you cry, sometimes they make you laugh. Either way, Lisa's book seems the last, so I'll definitely check it out.
Books have a way of sparking our emotions. Lisa did more than a good job here.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

The title got my attention, I love books that are filled with romance. Great review.
Xin Teh
Favorite Author: J R R Tolkien
Currently Reading: Rulers of the Galaxy
Bookshelf Size: 47
fav_author_id: 2578

Post by Xin Teh »

I do not usually like to read romance written in the first person. However, this book seems more than just that and it sounds interesting. I will give it a try sometime in the future.
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

I love romance books like these. I also love that its not predictable, as you mentioned in your review. This book has definitely grabbed my attention! Thanks so much for your great review!
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

Nothing beats a unforgettable romance novel. I always enjoy a romance better when its unique instead of the usual clichés we sometimes come across. Thank you for your detailed review!
Theexceptional
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theexceptional.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Theexceptional »

Vacation on a foreign country is a sure way to bond with a partner. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
The fabulous
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-fabulous.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by The fabulous »

Staying away from homes sometimes really affect our lives positively. Thanks for the review.
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

I love that there was a touch of humour in the book. Your review was insightful. Great job
Tim Toby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tim-toby.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Tim Toby »

Nice review .the title of the book got my attention and from the review I know it would be a nice book to read

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”