Review of Chameleons

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mayley18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayley18.html
Latest Review: The Blackest Blue by Luna Wright

Review of Chameleons

Post by Mayley18 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Recently I completed reading the book Chameleons by Onyx Gold. This is the first book of two in the series but can be read as a standalone. It does end in a cliffhanger though, so if you’re like me, you’ll need to scurry to get the next book promptly after you finish this one! The storyline takes us along the life journey of Zia, a beautifully unique mixed woman with a rare eye condition that makes her the center of some people’s attention. She works as a literary agent for a company called Spark. She has never been one to like the spotlight, so the attention she gets most of the time is unwarranted. That is until it’s the attention of a man she wants to pursue. Perhaps I should say, men. After not being in a relationship for so long, she finds herself entwined in a strange love triangle. She meets Bryce while at work and he has his heart set on her the moment he notices her. She at first is not receptive as she has all but sworn off men and dating. Bryce is persistent though. Then Zia encompasses the attention of an up-and-coming author who wants more than just a professional relationship. This book takes a lot of twists and turns and leaves you hanging onto the edge of your seat.

I think my favorite part of the book was when Zia realized that she could have a beautiful life with Bryce, a man that could provide her with so much stability and everything she could dream of. In the past, she had been with men that only cared about her ancestry and always questioned her on it. Bryce never did such a thing and never made her feel bad about where she comes from.

My least favorite part was when she went to New York for book signings with the author, Baxter Leopold, and got mugged by someone on the street when she was just trying to explore the city and take in all it has to offer. The past times she went, she had a different agenda and didn’t get to experience all the city has to offer, so I felt kind of disappointed for her that she was not able to enjoy it for all it is.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4. The book had a minimal amount of errors and was the first book in a long time that had me thinking about what was going on in the book throughout my day when I was not able to read it as I wanted. This was the kind of book I would have binged in high school. There were many times I would find a good book and sit down and read for the entire day. There is a certain kind of peace that comes with that and a sense of wonderment in being able to finish a book in one sitting. Since having kids, those days are long gone, but I would have loved to enjoy this book in one sitting with the right snacks and a cozy blanket. This is that type of book.

I would recommend this book to mature audiences only since there are some very explicit scenes scattered throughout it. They do not overpower the book, yet add some spice to it that young audiences need not know about. Besides that, I think mature audiences will enjoy the book if they do not get bothered by such scenes.

Chameleons
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”