Review of Girl Next Door

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Review of Girl Next Door

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Girl Next Door" by Shirley Friday/ author pen is Patience Lovely.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Girl Next Door by Patience Lovely is a 43-chapter fictional novel that discusses the relationship between different people. The book portrayed the themes of homosexuality, revenge, and love.

Dynasty fell in love with the girl living next door to her apartment. She left her number in a small package she gave the girl as a welcome gift. The girl, Tyewauna (Tye) Brewer, called her, and they eventually got into a relationship. Also, Crystal, Tye's ex-girlfriend, came into town to get back together with her. However, she met with Jason, whom Dynasty had previously had a relationship with, and best friends with Wayevone, Dynasty's brother. Von is Dynasty's best friend. She got to know Chance, a rogue, and gangster she got close with, to pay him back for how he had previously treated her. Will Von achieve this goal? How do you think the twists in this book will end? Read this book to find out more.

I enjoyed those moments of flashbacks in the book. They were insightful and reasonable. They also provided important information about a character which helped in understanding such character's behaviors and actions. My favorite part of the book is the accomplishment of Blue's decision about Von. It shows her love for Von.

However, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. I gave the book a low rating because I felt it fell short in certain important areas. Firstly, the narration of the book was very hard to understand. Initially, I was expecting that each chapter titled after a particular character or characters will have the narration done by such character(s). It was not so; the narration was done by any of the characters in that chapter. There were times when the narration was done from the omniscient point of view. This switching was not coordinated, which made the book very hard to understand.

Another aspect that justifies my rating was that the author included many discretions that the book ended up without any solid storyline. I could not even take cognizance of the meaning of the title in relation to its content. Also, this book seems to be done in a rush with little or no professional editing. This is because it is full of distracting errors. Therefore, I would recommend a thorough and professional editing job on it.

I believe lovers of fictional stories could find this book appealing, but I must note that this book is for adults only as it contained a high level of sex scenes and profane words.

Girl Next Door
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Zaeda Amrin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaeda-amrin.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Zaeda Amrin »

The premise sounded promising and the cover was eye-catching but your thoughts on the writing are convincing me to pass on this one! Maybe another couple of rounds of editing would help! Thanks for the great review!
Lucy Allown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lucy Allown »

The introductory part of the book would tell you all what the storyline is about which gave me an insight into the whole story. But i think a little break down of vocabularies would also help .Thanks
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

Just the names alone are enough to give me pause and decide on a hard pass. I'd spend more time mentally trying to figure out the correct way to pronounce them than actually finishing the book!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”