Review of Princess

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Review of Princess

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Princess" by Holly J. Martin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Princess by Holly J. Martin recounts the story of Jack Johnson. Like her masculine-sounding name, her childhood was also unusual. When her mother died at childbirth, David Johnson assumed all responsibilities for his nine sons and his precious daughter, his “Princess.” Jack fell for Jared Ross, the handsome neighbor boy whom her parents had raised as their own son. Their mutual attraction led to an overwhelming romance until David intervened and sent Jack away to a facility. Here, she suffered an unimaginably cruel fate that scarred her for life. Will Jack ever survive the trauma and reunite with her family?

Martin presented us with a fierce and resilient female protagonist. Jack’s life story loosely followed that of a typical fairy tale princess, thus justifying the title. Her sheltered life shattered with the impact of undue trials and tribulations; however, every obstacle only made her stronger. Her character arc was well-developed and satisfying to read, making the readers root for her. I admired how she retained her sweet and caring nature despite the horrific experiences.

Martin’s portrayal of the chemistry between Jack and Jared was superb. Their all-consuming passion for each other made life beautiful for Jack. Although their love story came to an abrupt halt, their feelings didn’t diminish even with years of separation. The descriptions of the initial romantic escapades seemed overly erotic; however, their relationship proved to be more mature later in the book.

Family dynamics played a vital role in the plot development. The bonding between the Johnson siblings was remarkable, making their humorous banter and silly fights engaging. The possessiveness the Johnson brothers showed regarding their precious little sister was both hilarious and heart-warming. I am eagerly waiting for the next installment of the series that would shed more light on the brothers. Martin’s characters repeatedly emphasized that blood relation should not be a criterion for calling someone family. David and Elsie Johnson all but adopted Jared while the Johnson brothers considered him their sibling. Similarly, Sam proved to be a father figure to Jack, helping her in ways her father couldn’t.

Unresolved issues and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) comprised a significant part of the book. Martin did not shy away from elaborating how PTSD could rear its ugly head during vulnerable moments and engulf the victim. Her realistic depiction showed that PTSD could only be overcome by careful monitoring and continued therapy. Fortunately, Jack had an ideal support system that helped her surmount the dark abyss of trauma.

I have nothing negative to say about this book. From a technical standpoint, I noticed a few errors. However, they did not detract from my reading experiences at all. Hence, I rate the novel a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to readers who appreciate character-driven stories or books with strong female protagonists. There are many examples of alcohol and substance abuse, child abuse, and violence. This aspect, coupled with several explicit scenes, calls for a mature audience.

Princess
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Neenu B_S
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neenu-b-s.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Neenu B_S »

The review is precise and well written. Seems like a book I should add to my bookshelf.
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading: The Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohana-hasan.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

What an interesting book! This is usually the kind of book that I read, so I might have to add to my TBR list.
Kanchan Bhil
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-bhil.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Kanchan Bhil »

It is very empowering to read a book with a female protagonist. I would love to read this book. Thank you for your amazing review!
Shailja_mis26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Shailja_mis26 »

Very interesting book for me... this book totally justified how to love each other n stay with each other..
Sujatha+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sujatha+ »

It's a wonderful book to read ,and it also tells about the women power how a woman can protest herself. Its really amazing book.
Cleopatra banda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Cleopatra banda »

Wow the book is interesting, teaching how can overcome the storm of life.
Pratima Solanki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pratima-solanki.html
Latest Review: Steel Reign: Flight of The Starship Concord by Braxton Cosby

Post by Pratima Solanki »

The book looks amazing. I am on my way to add this book to my bookshelf ,and review is well written also
Evelyn42

Post by Evelyn42 »

The book looks pretty amazing definitely to must read list
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

This is not the usual kind of book I read. But an empowering story with a driven female protagonist is something I would like to read. Thanks for such a well written review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

I like the review and obviously can't wait to get my hands on it. Thanks
Ancy_07
Currently Reading:

Post by Ancy_07 »

I usually felt for this book. The love of jack and jared was so beautiful. And their bonding after being separated is a trust worthy thing. The empowerment story looks great. Loved ur review
Olgamiell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olgamiell.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Olgamiell »

Excellent review. If I only saw a cover, I think I'd just give it a pass. Your insightful review proves that it may be an interesting and engaging book. I'd gladly read the whole series.
RoyalJewel
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by RoyalJewel »

"Unresolved issues and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) comprised a significant part of the book. Martin did not shy away from elaborating how PTSD could rear its ugly head during vulnerable moments and engulf the victim. Her realistic depiction showed that PTSD could only be overcome by careful monitoring and continued therapy. Fortunately, Jack had an ideal support system that helped her surmount the dark abyss of trauma."
- From the Book Review

Now, this is a book I am putting on my shelf.
Awesome review... Thank you.
Aldophe Celicourt
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Aldophe Celicourt »

A book like that is recommended for all categories of people.
Great review.thanks.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”