Official Review: The Art of The Deal by The Author Mr. De

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The Gifts of Cancer by Elizabeth Renee Oldershaw

Official Review: The Art of The Deal by The Author Mr. De

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Art of The Deal" by The Author Mr. De.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"It was 12 July early morning, 6:00 a.m. to be exact, when I noticed a stunning hunk of a man arriving at a residence just across the street from me. I could hardly believe my eyes." Thus began the steamy, hot erotica novel that is The Art of The Deal by The Author Mr. De, which primarily follows Nicole, a successful, happily-married Black woman. Nicole's first encounter with Styles, who just finished serving in Iraq, had her imagining all she could do with this fine specimen of a man. She has to consider her husband's feelings, but his constant trips out of town for work do not help alleviate the loneliness she feels at times. What do you get when you put two lonely, vibrant, and sexually attractive people together?

One thing that stands out in this book is the level of description employed in the sex scenes. The author spares no detail, putting you directly in the room with the couple while they fully explore each other physically and emotionally. The author hopes to provide readers with sexual stimulation and different means of release, and in that regard, the book fully fulfilled my expectations in some of the scenes, especially at the beginning. Nevertheless, I cannot think of any other aspect of the book I liked.

While I understand that the book's nature and focus on the sex scenes, the storytelling, plot development, and character depth were severely lacking. Concerning storytelling, the author seemed to have exhausted his vocabulary after the first sex scene to the point that subsequent scenes seemed to employ the same words and expressions in conveying the characters' actions and emotions. Also, after each sex scene, Nicole had a friend, Tamera, who she confided in by narrating the events we just experienced in the previous scene. It got tiring reading each sex scene twice and sometimes thrice.

Furthermore, I did not find any attractive qualities in the main characters besides their physical appearances. Their constant and insatiable need for sex felt inauthentic, and there was nothing to draw readers closer to or help them relate to the characters. More could have been done to highlight other aspects of their lives or explore Nicole's reluctance to have sex with Styles despite their strong connection because of her marriage. This would have added some much-needed suspense to the story. Instead, Nicole couldn't even think for herself and went along with whatever Styles wanted on many occasions.

There are also several plot holes, as Nicole having all that free time was not consistent with someone that had a six-figure paying job, and Nicole constantly confessing her love for her husband and how he provided for and treated her well physically and emotionally didn't add up when I considered how easy it was for her to cheat and that it was occasionally mentioned that she was unhappy. Nicole's friend, Tamera, could have also acted as a moral compass for her to add more spice to the story, but both characters were exactly the same, as Tamera encouraged her.

In addition, The Art of The Deal is not professionally edited. I found numerous errors while reading through the text. Some readers may also find it a bit difficult to understand the use of African-American vernacular in the dialogue, even though I enjoyed it and applaud the author's work in that aspect. All things considered, I rate The Art of The Deal 1 out of 4 stars. I can only recommend it to mature readers who enjoy reading sex stories, but a lot of work is required in the book's overall execution.

The Art of The Deal
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Smmwallace
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Cosmander and The Crown
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: "The Beautiful Tale" by Francis L. Pipolo

Post by Smmwallace »

Oh my. I agree. From your review, the author maybe could've expanded the character's horizons a little bit beyond the sexual escapades giving it more depth. I don't mind sexual content in a book, but this one is too much for me and especially with nothing else really holding it together. Thank you for your informative and honest review. Great job!
karineyn
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by karineyn »

The first paragraph of the review, the summary, narrates a potentially interesting story but considering all the following points, the book would be better off as a short story maybe—without all the repetitions. Thank you for the review, it was intriguing.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”