Official Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Official Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Marc Marci" by Larry G. Goldsmith.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Marc Marci is a story filled with romance, friendship, and much more. Larry G. Goldsmith introduces the reader to Marc as a teenager who has suffered great loss. Marc decides to deal with his loss and face his future by taking a break with a backpacking trip overseas. Shortly upon arrival on the English Coast, he meets Cristina and Gabrielle. Cristina and Gabrielle befriend him and encourage him to explore the female in him. Another tragedy strikes, causing Marc to realize that he is a woman and wants to make a permanent change in becoming Marci. Eventually, Marci returns to the United States. This is where her story really begins. Will she find love, marriage, the children she wants, or will her past decisions hold her back?

Goldsmith touches on many themes in Marc Marci. Lesbian and transgender themes are approached as a normal, healthy way of being. Certainly, there are challenges, but that applies to most things in life. One challenge is dealing with the fear of being discovered, as not everyone is accepting. Marci had a hard time knowing this at the beginning of her transition. Fortunately, she had a good friend to help her along the way. Her Uncle Jack was also very supportive. Without a doubt, the way the author handled this is my favorite part of the story.

Friendship and the support that it offers are seen in many ways throughout the story. Uncle Jack and his family become closer to Marci as they all go through life’s up and downs. Marci and one of her friends put together Shiva for Jack when his wife dies. The Jewish faith plays an important role in this story. The Jewish Chabad campus ministry is where Marci found much comfort and lifelong friendships. As Marci’s faith deepens, the rituals become imperative in our life, especially the lighting of the candles on Friday nights.

Robinson’s ability to make the reader feel present in the story starts with the imagery. The inn on the English Coast is described in vivid detail, from the turrets to the innkeeper’s mustache that is described as a “tinged a rusty color, from either tea or tobacco.” Nature is also described in a way that, at one point, I felt the wind.

There is a philosophical question in this story that doesn’t get answered. I found that a bit frustrating but can see why the author chose not to address it. Sharing it with you, my dear readers, would also mean sharing a spoiler, so you will have to discover it as you read the story.

Marc Marci is worthy of 3 out of 4 stars. The only reason for the removal of one star is the editing. Objective and subjective issues influenced this decision. I recommend this book to those who are exploring their gender, friends, and family of those that support them and to anyone who enjoys a well-written coming of age story. Due to the explicit sexual content, I do not recommend it to those under 18.

Marc Marci
View: on Bookshelves
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

In as much as my personal beliefs are not in tandem which much of the themes of the book, I feel people it aligns with their beliefs will enjoy it. Great review.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

The cover and the intro makes me want to read the book.
But sexual content is not my thing.
Thank you for not showing us a spoiler.
Now I want to know what it is about.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 21:21 The cover and the intro makes me want to read the book.
But sexual content is not my thing.
Thank you for not showing us a spoiler.
Now I want to know what it is about.
You'll have to read it to find out!
Shreeya Tambe
Currently Reading: The MISOGI Method
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreeya-tambe.html
Latest Review: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France by Michael C. Higgins, PhD

Post by Shreeya Tambe »

Can't wait to read this one *_*
Christine ramjattan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Christine ramjattan »

From the intro I just read ..the book sounding interesting .I'm curious to read more about the feeling and changes that he went through .its like trying to get an idea of someone who have to face that darkest desire and charge of reaction from families and friends ..its not all about sex but it's about what transgender, lesbians, n gay are looked at and how they feel ..thus book I feel will help alot of people to understand more
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I applaud the author's courage to tackle such topics. A lot of teenagers might find some answers, or even more questions. Thank you for this intriguing review!
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 02:49 I applaud the author's courage to tackle such topics. A lot of teenagers might find some answers, or even more questions. Thank you for this intriguing review!
You're welcome! The author really expressed hard topics in a way that people can relate to.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I should have guessed what the book was about from the cover, but didn't realize it. Thank you for an informative review. Due to several issues, I will not be reading this one.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Lou Brane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lou-brane.html
Latest Review: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France by Michael C. Higgins, PhD

Post by Lou Brane »

This was a really comprehensive review. I've been looking to read a book with these themes and am glad to here it was still a 3-star. Thanks for sharing!
jegabriele
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jegabriele »

An absolute page-turner. Events come fast and furious interspersed with tender, caring moments, making the twists even more astonishing. I was reading this at an airport gate, waiting for boarding, and my sudden gasps had fellow travelers wondering what the book entailed. Captivating reading.
Manalee Ghadi
Currently Reading: The Promise
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manalee-ghadi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Manalee Ghadi »

Stories that highlight the LGBTQ are my current favs. Will definitely read this book!
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

Sounds like an interesting book. Would be a challenging one in a community I live in. Thanks for the review.
Uzzy_Reviews
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

It must have been shocking and difficult to accept that she was not Marc but Marci. Indeed, our society is not the most accepting, but it was great to know that she had her friend and Uncle Jack to support her. Thanks for the awesome review.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Ruchi Raina wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 05:03 It must have been shocking and difficult to accept that she was not Marc but Marci. Indeed, our society is not the most accepting, but it was great to know that she had her friend and Uncle Jack to support her. Thanks for the awesome review.
I would say it was the opposite. Once she realized who she was, there was quite a bit of relief. There were certainly still struggles but the hardest part was over.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”