Official Review: It's Okay to Act like a Lady and Think l...

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Official Review: It's Okay to Act like a Lady and Think l...

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It's Okay to Act like a Lady and Think like one too!" by Peggy DeBruce-Harris.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It’s Okay to Act like a Lady and Think like one too! is a non-fiction book written by Peggy DeBruce-Harris. It is a Christian book with a Biblical guide for both men and women to achieve relationship goals. The book compares the unique differences between men and women and advocates walking with God every day and living a Godly life.

The author begins by stating that women should act like ladies at all times, especially in the presence of men, because it’s our unique differences that are the basis of attraction. She disagrees with the author, Steve Harvey, whose sentiment from one of his books is to act like a lady but think like a man. The book emphasises the differences between men and women and encourages readers to nurture and understand them. Being different can tie us together. A book she does recommend is by John Gray, “Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.” By accepting this book’s message, she thinks we can become more tolerant of the opposite sex when we experience unexpected responses. For example, when we understand men are solution activated and don’t always realise a woman wants a good listener, frustrations can occur. It is better to understand the differences, nurture them, and create healthier relationships.

The author delves into standards, sexual morality, appearance, and religion. She states it’s essential to love God and follow him every day. By loving God, you will know and love yourself. Only then will you be in the right spiritual position to find a worthy partner. Saving yourself for the right person will lead to a happy union with both partners having similar goals and beliefs. Many quotes from the Bible are in the book, and the author strongly believes in its teachings.

On picking this book to review, I imagined the content to identify many differences between men and women, but most of the content was about Christian religion and the Bible. I didn’t think the book entirely lived up to its title and served better to give the author a platform to advocate her religion. Many pages consisted of promiscuity, single parenting, and other subjective issues that the author classes as sinful.

Some statements and opinions by the author are controversial and will not resonate with every reader. The author describes homosexuality, gender fluidity, promiscuity, children in same-sex families, and in-vitro fertilisation as sinful and immoral. She goes as far as to say it is the Devil’s plan when same-sex parents have a child. She also advocates gender stereotypes, stating women prefer men to be strong and rugged and expresses disdain for androgynous and over-sensitive men. She also believes women are inherently non-competitive. I found this material in the book very difficult to read as none of it represents my thoughts or opinions. I found it interesting that the author states that she doesn’t care whether people agree with her or not and that she is not homophobic. I’m not sure this attitude will appeal to everyone, and the author shows she has no time for a debate or any other opinions on these issues.

I enjoyed some of the author’s words regarding respecting yourself and not settling for someone because you are lonely or desperate to be loved. Loving yourself is a priority and being honest about what kind of person you want to spend your life with is crucial. The book contains some sound advice about knowing your value and understanding your partner’s qualities and differences. I also appreciated the author’s honest account of the struggles she has encountered in her thirty-year marriage. I think it is admirable to showcase parts of her life that have been difficult.

I only found one grammar and spelling error, so I believe the book is exceptionally edited. Some of the content in the book is very controversial and is a step backwards in accepting individuality. I enjoyed parts of the book about relationships and how to navigate them successfully, so I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. I think this book is suitable for adult Christian readers who take the Bible very literally, but unfortunately, I think this book may offend many readers.

It's Okay to Act like a Lady and Think like one too!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

Men and women are different and should maintain their difference as that's what makes each gender unique. Additionally, men and women should strive to understand each other and provide each other with qualities that will make for peaceful cohabitation. I absolutely love the central message of this book. Great review.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I'm not sure I concur with having to act like a lady in front of men, especially? I think it better for everyone to act with some level of decent towards each other, but not because of gender. Either way, I love challenging books, and I might pick this one up. Great review!
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

As good as the cover looks, I appreciate the author for writing this book. The book is pointing out sins which others may disagree with. I thought it talks about being who you are and appreciating one's feminine side. But that isn't what it is about. Thank you for a great review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Based on the title, readers would probably think that the book has a much more liberal content. Thanks for the good review.
Sarah Apio
Currently Reading: Playful Princess Panda
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Sarah Apio »

Am in love with this review! Wow especially this part "It’s essential to love God and follow him every day. By loving God, you will know and love yourself. Only then will you be in the right spiritual position to find a worthy partner".
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

The author shifts the narrative of act like a lady and think like a man. I want to know his perspective.
Haritha__11
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Haritha__11 »

Difference between gender should be maintained!! Great message good one !
the_ashfeathers
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ashfeathers.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by the_ashfeathers »

Such a great review, I honestly doubt I'd have managed to get past even a single page of this book with the amount of stereotypes and narrow mind-ness it contains.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”