Official Review: Sweet Thing by Myla J. Moore

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Official Review: Sweet Thing by Myla J. Moore

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sweet Thing" by Myla J. Moore.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Myla J. Moore's book Sweet Thing is a story about a new beginning for Elly. After graduating from high school in a small town, Elly decides to pursue a fashion and design degree in San Francisco. When she arrives to pick up her keys from her landlord Mr Crawford, she meets a stunningly handsome barista. Gage Young is the nephew of Mr. Crawford and reciprocates her interest by addressing her by “Sweet Thing.” When Elly starts to furnish her new apartment, she becomes stranded and calls Mr. Crawford for help. After a short wait, Gage pulls up in a truck, and their shared infatuation grows.

There is a major theme of sexual promiscuity that becomes the forefront of the story. The first-person narrative is from Elly's view and changes to Gage's view with each chapter. Elly has grown up as a naive girl that depends on a circle of friends as her support system. Michael, Samantha, and William spent all their time together. Unsure of what to do the first day, she calls Mikey, and he catches the first plane to San Francisco. Ironically, when Gage meets Mikey, he learns that he has become the topic of conversation among the group.

This is a book that would fall under the genre of Erotica. I liked the four friends, but Gage left a slightly bad impression on me. After just three days, he was attempting to seduce Elly. While she was also inviting his overtures, his background made me suspicious. He was homeless, and the same day he met Elly, he went on a date with another woman and was going to have sex with her. It also seems odd that the two could profess such strong feelings of love.

Moore's writing was very descriptive. It was easy to see the emotions that Elly and Gage were feeling, and the scenery around the two was easy to envision. My favorite descriptive was of William as Elly often referred to him as “Willy The Pig.” The dialogue and interactions outside the bedroom were filled with lighthearted humor. I think that this would be a much more enjoyable book if the focus of the story wasn't mainly on Elly losing her virginity and the multiple sexual activities that occur.

I am rating Sweet Thing 2 out of 4 stars. I deducted a star because the plot wasn't very well-developed and there were several errors that another round of editing would resolve. The development of all the characters and description of Elly's apartment were exceptional, and it disappointed me to not find an engaging story line.

I would recommend this book to extremely open-minded adults. The graphic depiction of the homosexual and polygamy sex could be offensive to some readers. The lack of responsibility for sex outside of marriage never appears. The book was a quick read as I was able to finish the book in one sitting.

Sweet Thing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Janessa Linea E
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janessa-linea-e.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Janessa Linea E »

I agree with the reviewer of this book. Sweet Thing receives a two-star rating from me. I docked a star because the plot was underdeveloped and several errors could have been fixed with the second round of editing. The character development and description of Elly's apartment were excellent, but the lack of an engaging storyline disappointed me.

Thanks for a great review.
Pallavi Lakra
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

This story sounds like if the book is revised properly, it would justify the doings of the character it would suffice the storyline. Thanks for the honest review!
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

Interesting plot. Your review draws me to this book, and being a fan of erotica, I'd love to check this out.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I don't get why this kind of books often compromise the plot in favor of mindless sex scenes. I have no problem with erotica, or with sex scenes for that matter, but without a good, structured plot and interesting characters it is disappointing.
Thank you for your honest review!
Vetto
Currently Reading: Poems About Things That Mattered Most
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Vetto »

Indeed a sweet thing. I am open minded and for sure open to this book.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

The name and cover of this novel are very promising. I cannot deny that they are what drew me in. I am disappointed that the plot leaves much to be desired. Nice review!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”