Official Review: Her Brother-in-Law by Amy S. Porter

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: Her Brother-in-Law by Amy S. Porter

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Her Brother-in-Law" by Amy S. Porter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Brent Beckett is powerful, ruthless, and impulsive. When he sets his sights on soft-spoken Cass, she is putty in his hands. Cass is new in the small town and is flattered when she is the recipient of the handsome but abrasive man’s affections. Ignoring her best friend’s concern and the gnawing feeling of uncertainty about Brent, she agrees to be his wife.

Life quickly becomes a nightmare for Cass; Brent is abusive and domineering. He controls where she goes, who she talks to, and wants her at home cooking and cleaning—the perfect little housewife. If something isn’t to his liking, he has no qualms about punishing her with his fists or locking her in the pantry for hours on end.

One day while being locked in the pantry, Cass hears a voice coming from the other side of the wall. After her initial shock, she discovers that it is the voice of Ethan Beckett, Brent’s dead brother. Brent had faked his death, and he is being held hostage in the basement. Ethan is on the receiving end of brutal daily beatings. Cass and Ethan quickly bond over their mutual misery and develop romantic feelings towards one another.

Will Ethan and Cass find a way out of Brent’s house of horrors? Read the book and find out!

Her Brother-in-Law by Amy S. Porter combines an action-packed domestic thriller with the prospect of finding love in the most peculiar place. The novel is written from the first-person perspective. It follows Cass as she finds herself at the center of Brent’s sadistic game. Emotionally and physically weakened by the daily abuse she endures, she must channel her inner strength to break free of the proverbial noose around her neck.

There were many things to love about this book, but my favorite was the author’s ability to depict the plight of a woman who has found herself in an abusive relationship. In the beginning, Cass is lured by Brent’s charm and caring facade, while he masterfully chips away at her confidence by controlling and criticizing her every move. There were times throughout the book where Cass could have escaped, but due to her depleted self-confidence and being forced into submission, she was too afraid to leave. Often, I became frustrated with her for staying, but I had to remind myself that I was coming from a place of privilege—I wasn’t being controlled and manipulated.

Another thing that I loved about Her Brother-in-Law was the unconventional way that Cass and Ethan connected. They were both prisoners with a wall between them but were unable to be in the same room together physically. While they initially bonded over the anguish Brent mercilessly bestowed upon them, they had some lighthearted times where they were able to laugh at the impossible circumstances. One of my favorite parts was when Brent locked Cass in the pantry for accidentally burning dinner, and she and Ethan made the best of it by laughing about the burnt fish. It just goes to show, no matter the circumstance, when you meet the right person, love cannot be deterred.

There was nothing to dislike about the book; I wish there were a sequel because I kept thinking about the characters after I had finished reading. With that being said, I have happily chosen to give the novel a rating of four out of four stars. I commend the author for doing an excellent job of developing Cass’s character by showcasing her fragility and the unraveling of her self-confidence, and of course, the complicated love story that never wavered in excitement.

The book had very few errors and was professionally edited, and I would recommend it to mature readers. If you like thrilling books about dysfunctional families, don’t miss out on this novel. I would dissuade sensitive readers from choosing this story. It has some disturbing sex scenes, which could be triggering for some readers. The book is locked and loaded with profanity, so keep that in mind if vulgar language is offensive to you.

Her Brother-in-Law
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

Wow, this is such a fantasticly detailed and informative review, great job! This sounds like a great book too.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds like such a unique twist! Definitely not what I expected at the beginning of the plot description. Thanks for the great review!
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

Sounds like a great book. Great job with the Review. What is a page Turner is that cass falls in love with Brent's Brother who is the same condition, indeed and odd way to find help
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

WADonnelly wrote: 03 May 2021, 09:22 Wow, this is such a fantasticly detailed and informative review, great job! This sounds like a great book too.
Thank you!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

Wow, this sounds like an engaging book that's hard to put down. Your review was exceptional! I'm adding it to my want-to-read shelf! Thank you for your recommendation.
PeterRabitt20
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I feel sorry for Cass, and her best friend seemed to have good insight. The book seems to touch on sensitive topics like spousal abuse, but I hope Cass has a happy ending. Thanks for the great review!
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

This sounds like a thrilling story; after reading your review, I’m rooting for Cass and Ethan, and I hope they found a way to escape--I would be interested to read the book and find out. Your review was very well written; thanks for the recommendation!
Mark Smarter
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Mark Smarter »

Congrats 👏 agreat review by inspiring for getting me more readers to know what exactly happened..
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

Wow what a descriptive and honest review. Thank you so much for your time, I think I'm going to love this book too.!
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It takes exceptional writing skills to devise such a quality plot and develop characters. Thanks for the review, I was definitely interested in the book.
Pallavi Lakra
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

Your review has already made me invested in the lifes of Brent, Cass and Ethan. The character development sounds great.
Thanks for the amazing review.
komaloll
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by komaloll »

Okay this book is wonderful!! Its interesting cause I would've never guessed the plot unlike the other stories I've read. im very excited to read this book, good work !!
Samah Elrady
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Samah Elrady »

That's every interesting book I want to reed it and I can write about this thing and discover more feeling in it
Vetto
Currently Reading: Poems About Things That Mattered Most
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Vetto »

With the detailed and inspiring review, who wouldn't want to read such a book. I love the fact that it is rated 4 of 4 and it's about a woman who manages to find happiness in trouble. Nice book it is.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”