Official Review: Wrong Turn, Right Guy [Title Updated]

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Official Review: Wrong Turn, Right Guy [Title Updated]

Post by S dot Lennon »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox. At the time of the review the book's title was "Falling Off the Career Ladder," but the title and cover have since been changed by the author. . ]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Teresa Vadney has just handed in her letter of resignation. She has been an attorney for the last twelve years, completely dedicated to her career, but after her boss pressures to cancel her trip to Italy, she knows enough is enough. It’s time for a change. She leaves for Italy with her mother, for her best friend, Anna’s wedding, believing this will be the perfect time for her to clear her mind and begin anew. Unfortunately her thoughts of unemployment and uncertainty follow her the thousands of miles she has traveled to get away. Her mother’s helpful insights on life are only making things more confusing. After being defined by her career for all of her adult life, she is stressed and questioning everything she has known or believes about herself. Then she meets Alex, a young man living in Siena, Italy who helps her and her mother after they are stranded on their way to the wedding. After spending time together, she can see a life with him in Italy. There are opportunities in Italy that she has never considered. Teresa knows that this would be the chance of a lifetime and maybe the love of a lifetime as well.

Falling off the Career Ladder is a romantic fiction novel that chronicles Teresa’s journey from being a successful attorney, well on her way to a partnership, to a woman in love in Italy figuring out the next phase of her life. This novel, narrated by Teresa, is extremely personal and easy to relate to. The struggle she faces with the changes and decisions she has made is palpable and honest. Her mother, Cheryl, is the first to not only challenge Teresa but encourage her to make decisions and to trust herself. Teresa has to realize that life is meant to be lived and that no one is holding her back but herself. The relationship she establishes with Alex is a stepping stone to new things. But doubts about their relationship and her career consume her. It becomes obvious that Teresa has to decide the person she wants to be and live her life accordingly. Until she discovers who she is and who she wants to be, she will be consumed by anxiety and never allow herself to be happy.

Fox created a well written and well developed novel full of defining moments in a person’s life. Teresa was a character who was unsure of herself but not weak. She realized her strength the moment she walked away from her career to be happy. Teresa simply didn’t expect the next steps in her life to be so difficult. The cast of characters that she encountered continually changed her perspective on life and forced Teresa to dwell on herself. It’s okay to have doubts but this novel focused on the steps needed to overcome those doubts and fears to be happy.

Falling off the Career Ladder though full of self-discovery had its faults. It became repetitive in nature and stagnant at times due to Teresa’s constant habit of evaluating herself without making any changes. Certain areas of the novel seemed slightly forced, as well. It felt as if Fox wanted to include as many tourist spots as possible throughout the story, even if didn’t the benefit the plot in anyway. I found those moments unnecessary and at times, exhausting. The novel would have benefited if the focus was simply on Teresa’s growth and not the location.

I give this novel 3 out of 4 stars. Regardless of the few faults I found I still enjoyed this novel and seeing the change in Teresa throughout the year that this story takes place. Everyone has to experience change and Fox handled the narrative well, and held my interest throughout.

Buy "Falling Off the Career Ladder" on Amazon
All I need is a new book and a place to read it...
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
donges
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by donges »

I agree with you about your view on this novel
ceco

Post by ceco »

I agree with the reviewer's summary but I don't agree that the book became repetitive and stagnant. I think Teresa's responses were natural for her character and made her more believable and relatable. I also liked all the information on her travels because it made me feel like I was on the adventure with her. I think the author did a good job of handling the timeline of the story. Teresa and her mother were on a trip to Italy for three weeks and so it only makes sense that the author would include action and scenes to fill up the time. Teresa was at times frustrating but again I found this trait made her more real. I also must add that this story made me laugh out loud many times, which made it a fun read.
atlreader57

Post by atlreader57 »

The official review of this book is very well written and an accurate review of the book. It definitely made me interested in reading the book. Having fallen off the career ladder myself, the book provided some distraction from personal issues as well as encouragement for moving forward in life.
dishaprashant

Post by dishaprashant »

Reading this review make me ponder over different situations in my life when I fell down the career ladder numerous times. I could relate myself to Teresa and can understand the emotional trauma the character must have felt after loosing a job despite being at the highest peak of it. This book also sounds of a self help kind given the instances. It is always good to find new pathways in life to eradicate stagnancy and jump back with a new vigor of life. Would read.
banewggy

Post by banewggy »

Teresa knew that she needed to relax and try to get herself together with her boss. The boss did not know she
was concern as he thought a trip was inconclusive.
:D
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

This review is really good. I think you have covered all the relevant aspects of the story and prepared a good basis for a reader to make a decision about choosing this book. Good Job!
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading lady
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-lady.html
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Post by Reading lady »

Sounds good to me. You have made me want to go find the book and read it. Thanks.
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M
Swanangel15
Favorite Author: To many to count
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swanangel15.html

Post by Swanangel15 »

This is not my usual type of book to read, yet I am intrigued enough to give it a try.
mmandy38
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Zookeeper's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmandy38.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by mmandy38 »

I agree with the previous commenters here about this book. The review was very well written and accurate. It was a quick, easy read and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
CorkyReedWatt
Favorite Author: John Irving
Favorite Book: A Prayer for Owen Meany
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corkyreedwatt.html
fav_author_id: 2417
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Midlife Fairy Tales and Murder

Post by CorkyReedWatt »

I'm looking forward to reading this one.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I have seen this book before but I can't believe I have never read the review until now! It sounds oddly like this story is about me... am I Anna? Oh no! Hahaha. Anyway, I just got this book for the BOTD, and it seems even better now!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a cute romantic fiction book, and it takes place in Italy to boot! Got my copy!

Thank you and congratulations to the author on the positive review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I loved reading your review! I'm really excited to read this book. Falling in love with Italy is something I'm experiencing now ;) Added bonus, she falls in love with a guy? Sounds perfect! Got my copy! Congratulations to the author for receiving such a great review and for being Book of the Day!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, balanced review! The premise of the book sounds interesting and the Italy setting is a nice bonus. Glad you were able to enjoy the book despite the issues you mentioned.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”