Official Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Review Team Admin
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Official Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Marc Marci" by Larry G. Goldsmith.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Marc Marci is a story filled with romance, friendship, and much more. Larry G. Goldsmith introduces the reader to Marc as a teenager who has suffered great loss. Marc decides to deal with his loss and face his future by taking a break with a backpacking trip overseas. Shortly upon arrival on the English Coast, he meets Cristina and Gabrielle. Cristina and Gabrielle befriend him and encourage him to explore the female in him. Another tragedy strikes, causing Marc to realize that he is a woman and wants to make a permanent change in becoming Marci. Eventually, Marci returns to the United States. This is where her story really begins. Will she find love, marriage, the children she wants, or will her past decisions hold her back?

Goldsmith touches on many themes in Marc Marci. Lesbian and transgender themes are approached as a normal, healthy way of being. Certainly, there are challenges, but that applies to most things in life. One challenge is dealing with the fear of being discovered, as not everyone is accepting. Marci had a hard time knowing this at the beginning of her transition. Fortunately, she had a good friend to help her along the way. Her Uncle Jack was also very supportive. Without a doubt, the way the author handled this is my favorite part of the story.

Friendship and the support that it offers are seen in many ways throughout the story. Uncle Jack and his family become closer to Marci as they all go through life’s up and downs. Marci and one of her friends put together Shiva for Jack when his wife dies. The Jewish faith plays an important role in this story. The Jewish Chabad campus ministry is where Marci found much comfort and lifelong friendships. As Marci’s faith deepens, the rituals become imperative in our life, especially the lighting of the candles on Friday nights.

Goldsmith’s ability to make the reader feel present in the story starts with the imagery. The inn on the English Coast is described in vivid detail, from the turrets to the innkeeper’s mustache that is described as a “tinged a rusty color, from either tea or tobacco.” Nature is also described in a way that, at one point, I felt the wind.

There is a philosophical question in this story that doesn’t get answered. I found that a bit frustrating but can see why the author chose not to address it. Sharing it with you, my dear readers, would also mean sharing a spoiler, so you will have to discover it as you read the story.

Marc Marci is worthy of 3 out of 4 stars. The only reason for the removal of one star is the editing. With 10+ errors, it cannot receive a perfect score. Note, however, that the errors were not distracting. I recommend this book to those who are exploring their gender, friends, and family of those that support them and to anyone who enjoys a well-written coming of age story. Due to the explicit sexual content, I do not recommend it to those under 18.

Marc Marci
View: on Bookshelves
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Asteroid Apophis Lord of Chaos by John S. Pritchett

Post by Kennedy NC »

Wonder what discovery Marc made in himself that made realize he was meant to be a woman. Great review.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by Kavita Shah »

Thank you for the review! It was a change for Marc that made her into Marci and in the book the characters are supportive of her which is really good.
MrsCatInTheHat
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Kennedy NC wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 02:38 Wonder what discovery Marc made in himself that made realize he was meant to be a woman. Great review.
Read the book and find out!
Wildflowertheorist
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentine.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

I'm so glad we're having more books on the topic.
Booklover Becca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-becca.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Booklover Becca »

I hope the author fixes the errors you mentioned because it sounds like Worthwhile story to read. Great review
MrsCatInTheHat
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Booklover Becca wrote: 01 May 2021, 03:10 I hope the author fixes the errors you mentioned because it sounds like Worthwhile story to read. Great review
The errors are not distracting. It's definitely a worthwhile read.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by WADonnelly »

Thanks for a great review. I've never really read books like this but I definitely should after reading your review. Great job!
Raluca_Mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The City Of Mirrors
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Onward to Kolmothra Volume One by Brian Warf

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

The book tackles an important subject, and it seemed like the author presented it a balanced and credible way. It seems like an educational book that might be helpful for people struggling with the same issues. Thank you for this great review!
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: The Church That I Love by Avalon Soulette Brown

Post by Jagiine »

Thanks for this review! I really like that the author wrote a good story presenting these important issues of gender and sexuality as normal. I hope it comes across better in the actual book, but I'll admit I'm a bit worried about Marci's origin story. If not written properly, Marc's realization that he's a woman amidst tragedy and outside influence to connect with his feminine side could be perceived as becoming transgender based on environment or as a coping mechanism. Since you rated it well, I presume that's not how the story comes across, but I still feel that concern.
MrsCatInTheHat
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Jagiine wrote: 05 May 2021, 19:25 Thanks for this review! I really like that the author wrote a good story presenting these important issues of gender and sexuality as normal. I hope it comes across better in the actual book, but I'll admit I'm a bit worried about Marci's origin story. If not written properly, Marc's realization that he's a woman amidst tragedy and outside influence to connect with his feminine side could be perceived as becoming transgender based on environment or as a coping mechanism. Since you rated it well, I presume that's not how the story comes across, but I still feel that concern.
I found it to be more of a situation with the tragedy giving Marc/Marci time to reflect on who they are.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: The Church That I Love by Avalon Soulette Brown

Post by Jagiine »

MrsCatInTheHat wrote: 05 May 2021, 19:42
Jagiine wrote: 05 May 2021, 19:25 Thanks for this review! I really like that the author wrote a good story presenting these important issues of gender and sexuality as normal. I hope it comes across better in the actual book, but I'll admit I'm a bit worried about Marci's origin story. If not written properly, Marc's realization that he's a woman amidst tragedy and outside influence to connect with his feminine side could be perceived as becoming transgender based on environment or as a coping mechanism. Since you rated it well, I presume that's not how the story comes across, but I still feel that concern.
I found it to be more of a situation with the tragedy giving Marc/Marci time to reflect on who they are.
Hmm... yes, that makes sense. Cool. :tiphat:

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”