Review by Juniela1419 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jo...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ellaiela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellaiela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review by Juniela1419 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jo...

Post by ellaiela »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lily, at the age of nine, was sold in an auction by her very own father. Being a negro child born from a slave mother, she had to face the harsh reality of her status and the heartless master she had to serve. Devastated, Lily had no choice but to endure the hardship of slavery work and loneliness from missing her mother, until one day, Lily found a forbidden solace through secretly playing her master’s piano. Fourteen years later, overwhelmed with deep emotions, she played the piano in an attempt to override and subside the torturous thoughts about everything that she went through but when she opened her eyes, what greeted her is a man whom she hadn’t seen for six years, James Adams, her master’s youngest son. James’ cold and brooding presence chilled her spine and when he declared that her punishment would far exceed that of slave duties, she couldn’t be bothered to live anymore. Unbeknownst to her, this certain “punishment” would lead her to a turbulent journey to Winter Garden that will showcase a kind of euphoric art amidst the darkness and enslavement and towards the unmasking of altruistic love and life-altering symphonies for thousand of people brought by her gifted hand and brilliant mind. However, the question remains if her extraordinary talent would bring her the freedom she needed, or would the love of a particular man be strong enough to defy the law and break her chain of slavery without costing her life and dreams?

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by London Skye is a romance book that will bring you musical madness and theatrical thrill right from the first note of introduction with Lily’s background followed by the dynamic change of her environment to the gradual casting of significant people with their melodies, an ensemble of orchestrated powerful background that will play different parts of her life and love story and finally, a dramatic crescendo right in the Winter Garden. I honestly thought that this story would be a magnificent show if performed in actual theatres. The author just knew how to keep you reading in her symphonic composition on this book and made you feel deep emotions. The intersection of music created more context to the story and the theatrical performance made me drifting to my reverie and play out the scene in my head. As an artist myself, this kind of art brought joy to my creative mind.

There wasn’t anything I particularly didn’t enjoy about this book. However, this book is the first in the series which means, a cliffhanger ending. If you don’t like book series, then this story might not be for you. As for me, it still left me wanting to find out how exactly the next book would play out.

To sum up, I found the book as an unfinished work of art. The story was well written and professionally edited, making it more fascinating to read and worthy of looking forward to. For these reasons, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Moreover, the author clarifies that this book contains extreme profanity, racial slurs, violence, and explicit sexual content, so this book is certainly not recommended to younger audiences and those seeking escapism in the story. Instead, this book will be enjoyable for those who wanted to feel raw and deep emotions.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting."
-The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I’ve read this book and I loved it. I’m waiting to reading the next one. Great review by you!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”