Official Review: When Oceans Collide by April Oliver Glenn

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Official Review: When Oceans Collide by April Oliver Glenn

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When Oceans Collide" by April Oliver Glenn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adam and Anna live on different continents and are searching for love. They are both tired of meaningless liaisons and regret some of their shallow choices that only met their physical needs. When Oceans Collide by April Oliver Glenn is a fictional, Christian love story about soul mates.

Adam lives in London and his parents died a year ago. He has spent his time going from woman to woman until he changed his life. He found God and starting attending church and took a vow of abstinence from sex. He wants to find a church-going soul mate who is also abstaining until marriage.

Anna lives in West Virginia and is becoming tired of choosing men who don’t love her and just want to have sex with her. She realises that she puts these men ahead of her own family and takes an example from a church-going colleague, deciding she must change her ways. 

Both characters decide on taking a much-needed vacation to find some peace and collect their thoughts. Adam’s best friend, Hunter, takes him to St. Kitts to help him relax and make sense of his life. Anna goes to Florida alone for some introspection, but is persuaded at the airport to join her friend, Donna, in St. Kitts for her wedding. Here on this beautiful island, the oceans collide and both characters realise just what a soul mate can be.

The novel is short at just 48 pages. It is easy to read and contains quite a charming story. Despite the short length, the author has included a good amount of back story of the two lead characters. I enjoyed the way their histories have formed them into the people they have become, and how they reflect on this and realise it is time for a change. I also enjoyed the theme of soul mates and how finding someone who is right for you can be life changing and provide peace, security, and happiness.

I thought the emptiness the characters felt about meaningless sexual relationships was interesting. Although both characters have enjoyed their sexual endeavours, over time they realise it is shallow and emotionless, and makes them feel more lonely, and in Anna’s case, somewhat worthless. I think the author highlights that peoples emotional needs change over time and that we need to address what makes us happy.

For a short book, the author has included many themes and emotions. The book tackles heartbreak, grief, betrayal, and complicated relationships. It is also a fast-moving novel that has some interesting twists and turns. It is easily read in one sitting and has some exciting page-turning parts.

The book has an underlying Christian message. It advocates some religious ideas, such as abstinence from sex before marriage, and also living a Christian life by attending church and following God. The author quotes the Bible at the very end of the book. This is a passage that states that God will give you what you are seeking if you ask for it. I think the book is more suited for readers of a Christian religious faith who would agree with the religious principals the author expresses.

I found a handful of grammar and spelling errors, so I think the book could benefit from another round of professional editing. I enjoyed the story and found it to be easy to read with entertaining characters. I thought the religious parts of the book were a little difficult to relate to. Many people in this day and age would not abstain from sex before marriage, and I’m not sure if there is just one soul mate for each person. All things considered, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars, and I think it would appeal the most to Christian adult readers. I found only a couple of profanities and some mild sexual themes. The story is intriguing and great for those who enjoy a pleasant love story.

When Oceans Collide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

This book sounds wonderful. I love that the author introduced St. Kitts as a location in the book. Great review!
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

Interesting plot. I enjoyed every bit of your review. Concise and at the same time really captivating. I'd love to find out how Adam and Anna kicked things off. Great review.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Only 48 pages and a beautiful story. It really is a wonderful tale and readers will appreciate the underlying message. Thank you for a great review!
Anshika_22
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anshika_22 »

Very interesting story. Loved how writer has written every single words so beautifully.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”