The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Swalka1991
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Night Shift by Nora Roberts
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swalka1991.html
fav_author_id: 3258

Icon The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

Post by Swalka1991 »

This book had me laughing pretty consistently. It was a delight from front to back and I thoroughly rooted for the sweet, oblivious lead the whole way. Don Tillman is a professor of genetics in Australia who is heavily hinted as being autistic throughout. As someone with an autistic brother, I was delighted to find an Aspie in the pages of a book I paid $3.99 for on impulse. It was entirely from first person, which I normally find to be irritating. In this book, I find it fascinating. Don's a piece of work, absolutely, and I think the narrative would only work if it centered around him and his unique perspective. The way he describes people and the way he comes to conclusions - a very logical, roundabout method - is consistently hilarious. He's very blunt, very unconventional, and just someone I would love to spend an afternoon with.

Don's goal in the novel is The Wife Project, wherein he has decided that he would be excellent husband material and is at an appropriate age for marriage. As the "traditional dating paradigm" has failed him for reasons beyond his comprehension, he's decided to find the ideal companion through a questionnaire.

After a failed date or two, he makes the mistake of asking his womanizing friend Gene for help finding that perfect woman. Who else should he suggest but someone entirely unsuitable? She smokes, she's a vegetarian with qualifications, and... she's "the most beautiful woman in the world."

Her quirky realness is a great buffer for Don, and the problem he helps her solve is a very interesting way of getting the two of them to spend time together. Even when Don gets in his own way. I won't spoil it here, but it's just the best.

So, by all means, get this book! If you haven't, you need it. If you have, I'd love to hear other opinions and discuss it. :D
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I loved this book. A great book indeed.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
klomen16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klomen16.html

Post by klomen16 »

I loved this book. It was a whole new kind of romance book. The main character, Don, works at the univesity and he has asperger's syndrome. His older neighbor that he was taking care of told him that he'd make a good husband which is where he got the idea for the Wife Project. This is a questionaire to help Don decide if a woman is suitable for him and to rule out unfavorable charcteristics. He meets this woman named Rosie thinking his friend sent her as a potential candidate. She needs something from him as well. He finds himself apalled by her behavior but he likes the company so he continues to see her. We start to see him trying to make social changes. This was a great romance novel that I found pretty funny.
Kuzpie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kuzpie.html

Post by Kuzpie »

To be honest, I didn't really enjoy this book. I thought it had great potential as far as the characters and plot went but I found myself unable to fully invest in the story. I thought that Rosie and Don made a cute couple but the story didn't flow and often felt disjointed. I liked certain parts such as Dons character development but most of the time I was just waiting for the book to get better...
skyliners+06

Post by skyliners+06 »

i know this book from bill gates recommended as one of his favourite books.
A good book for poor grammar and vocabulary person as me.
It does bring out the expression that wish to be interpret to the readers.
kayla1080
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Still Alice
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla1080.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by kayla1080 »

I just finished reading The Rosie Effect, and it far exceeded my expectations! Don is such a lovable character. Bill Gates did say on the back of The Rosie Project that it's "One of the most profound novels I've read in a long time." I recommend this series for any romantic misfits.
Megwe85
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megwe85.html
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar

Post by Megwe85 »

If you like the character of Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory, you will definitely like this book. Thank you for writing this review - it was a great read.

-- 03 May 2017, 12:04 --

I want to add that I just finished the sequel, The Rosie Effect, and it was brilliant as well. It was tough to read at times for reasons I won't mention (I do not want to ruin it for anyone!), but Don was amazing. This book had me laughing out loud.
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

I really enjoyed both books as well. It was interesting to read a story from a different and unusual viewpoint. They were funny and interesting and very enjoyable.
peace starts with a smile...
faychem
Currently Reading: The Mistaken Billionaire
Bookshelf Size: 49

Post by faychem »

It was an interesting and funny book. It made me laugh and kept me on trying to see who was the luck winner of the father project. Though for an usual point of view,Dons', it was a hard book to put down. I loved it.
Dene_bola
Currently Reading: The Power of Now
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Dene_bola »

I have read this book. And I loved it. Both Don’s & Rosie’s characters are interesting. In real life, I’d never expected they’re meant for each other. But nothing is impossible. And it might happens in my life as well, who knows.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”